or Connect
Specktra › Welcome to the Specktra Community! › Cosmetic Topics › Beauty of Color › WOC: The Hair Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

WOC: The Hair Thread

post #1 of 534
Thread Starter 

Let's discuss hair care techniques, hair styles, hair color and anything else relating to that beautiful crown of glory on your head.

post #2 of 534

700

 

Woo hoo!  Thanks for starting this thread!  I've been natural for about 8 years now.  I can never really completely identify my hair/curl type  because there are so many different identification charts, but I'm guessing I'm about 3b or 3c?

post #3 of 534
Thread Starter 

You know what, I never paid any attention to those charts. I have seen some info in passing or if it was mentioned during a YouTube video. I guess I would be somewhere in the 4 range. What is it, 4d, 4e or something like that? But I think people's hair can be a mixture of things. I also think those charts are too complicated from what I've seen. If I were to create my own hair type chart, it would be this:

 

  • Straight
  • Wavy
  • Curly
  • Coily

 

That's a lot easier to follow. I would be Coily because my hair coils up very tightly. I also think keeping things this simple allows for a better inclusion of different ethnicities without stereotyping. I've seen black people with naturally straight or wavy hair, and white people with curly or near coily hair.

post #4 of 534

So... maybe we can include which hair products we're currently using?  Me:

 

As I Am line, for the most part, supplemented by Joico K-Pak for treating.  I've recently tried a couple of products from Aunt Jackie's and Kinky Curly's Knot Today Leave-In.  Didn't care for either.  I also don't like Miss Jessie's or Carol's Daughter.

 

ETA:  There is *1* Miss Jessie's product I do like, the Rapid Recovery Treatment.  It is expensive as hell, though.  I found L'Oreal's Nature's Therapy Mega Moisture Nurturing Creme and also the Strength Fortifying Treatment at Sally Beauty Supply and find that they give me the same benefit as the Rapid Recovery Treatment, and they cost A LOT less.


Edited by MAChostage - 11/16/12 at 7:23am
post #5 of 534
[Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

I don't know if I did this correctly.
post #6 of 534
I have been natural since 99. I went from braids to a puff, accidental chop(don't ask) to two strands and finally sister locks in 08.
I have tried to post a picture. I will wait for it to be approved.
post #7 of 534

Oooooo, thanks for starting CartoonChic! I'm using Belle Butters right now because I love the idea of supporting her small business and the products are pretty natural. I'm hair illiterate so I can't say these are HG products or anything but definitely worth checking out. I stopped using Carol's Daughter because a) my hair stunk; b) the oils were mostly canola oil meaning; c) the price was too high.

post #8 of 534
Thread Starter 

I don't think I've experimented with too many products. I've never been a product junkie and don't like wasting money. Right now my combo for the past 6 months or so has been Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Moisture Retention Shampoo and Giovanni Smooth as Silk Conditioner.

 

I didn't like the Giovanni Smooth as Silk Shampoo. It felt too drying. I haven't tried any other product from the Shea Moisture Line. I really like the shampoo because it moisturizes, and I like that it lathers without sulfates. I tried a couple of non-sulfate shampoos and didn't like them. I need the lather effect. I don't mind sulfate shampoos either. I deep condition my hair with oil before I wash it, so I don't find the sulfates drying. I think they help to wash the excess oil out of my hair. I've tried Yes To Carrots Conditioner. I liked it in the beginning, but it just didn't seem as effective on my hair after a while. I also tried Aubrey Organics. I can't remember which shampoo or conditioner, but it doesn't matter. That stuff burned my eyes like crazy!

 

I've never tried Carol's Daughter or Miss Jessie's products, but I've heard a ton about them.  I buy the Kinky-Curly Knot Today Leave In because I use it as part of my leave-in conditioner recipe from Kimmytube. I was never interested in the Custard because I didn't want the wet hair look, but gave in and bought the small jar when I saw it at Target. I tried to follow the directions. Disaster. It was also my first wash and go attempt. I rarely ouch the stuff, but I use it more like a holding gel when I do.

post #9 of 534

hi everybody!  fabulous thread! natural gal here.

 

 right now I use the following:

 

jojoba oil! non greasy and moisturizing.  when I'm rushing and haven't time to do anything else... I apply this oil, bun, and go!  

 

Moroccan oil really does help with frizz. 

 

shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie.  I use this to re-twist or braid and to smooth down my pony and then use a scarf to set the style

 

Giovanni direct leave-in... LOVE. 

 

I recently became allergic to my fave co wash condish- Aussie moist

 

apple cider vinegar for clarifying and removing build up (1 part ACV, 5 parts water)

 

until i find something better...eco styler olive oil gel.  At times, i use this with

 

QP Elasta mango butter w/olive oil

post #10 of 534

I have natural hair too and ABSOLUTELY love it!

My bf chopped off my relaxed hair 5 years ago and I wore it short, short short!

 

Now its been growing out for the past 3 years and I love my gorgeous natural curly girls!

 

My routine is basic:

 

Suave Professionals Shea and Almond Shampoo and Conditioner

Herbal Essence Totally Twisted conditioner as a leave in

some oil presstoblend recommended once or twice a week (forgot name of it)

refresh curls with a bit of conditioner mixed w/water every other morning or so

Shampoo and comb out curls once a week

Aveda brilliant styling creme once a week

 

I don't comb my hair once the herbal essence is in. It only gets combed when its wet to detangle and that's that.

 

The best book I read about curly hair is Curly Like Me by Terri LaFlesh.

post #11 of 534

i did the bc in july, i had a caesar hair cut (like the boys), then went from there 2 now with a lil afro, a few weeks ago i bleached my hair blonde & the products that i use are aussie moist shampoo & conditioner, any of the moisturizing herbal essence products, and i have a lil bottle of garnier fructis leave in conditioner, water, evoo & coconut oil that i spray on, i also use the eco olive oil or margan oil gels sometimes if i want the curls 2 stay curly, i dont know what my type hair is i guess 4 something 4 really coily hair lol

post #12 of 534
Happy Friday Everyone,

For now I use Miss jessie's Creme de la Curl shampoo( Buy during their big sale only) , Taliah Waajid Protective Mist Bodifier when my colored hair needs a moisture boost on the go. Jane Carter Solution nourish and shine I mix with the hair nourishing serum to give my hair a beautiful shine. Castor oil is used for my hot oil treatments.
post #13 of 534

Great thread! Natural 4b/c hair here and I love to use these products:

 

Protien Treatment: Aubrey Organics Glycogen Protein Balance Conditioner.

Shampoo: Chagrin Valley solid shampoo bars (Ayurvedic Herb + Babassu Marshmallow)

Deep Conditioner:  My own concoction of Rhassoul clay, Amla Powder, Cocoa Butter, Olive Oil, Jojoba Oil, Coconut Cream and Yoghurt

Moisturizers: Qhemet Biologics Amla and Olive Heavy Cream + Burdock Root Butter Cream, Shea Butter, Coconut Oil

Heat Protector: One and Only Argan Oil, Macadamia Natural Oil (I only use the cold shot on the hair drier but it's still a little warm)

Spritz: Water with some glycerine, argan oil, patchouli and ylang ylang essential oils

Scalp Treatment: Castor Oil + Jojoba and Tea tree oil or Lush's Snake Oil Hair/Scalp Massage Bar

 

The only problem for me really is that I need to order most of this stuff from the USA and get it shipped to Australia. Caring for my hair is really pricey x___x

post #14 of 534

I tried transitioning for a while, gave up after two months, and chopped it all off. I fell in love with my "new" hair immediately! I'm about a year post-BC, and quite pleased with my growth and retention thus far.If we're going by the typing chart, I think I'm a 4a with small sections of 3c. My hair is tightly coiled with a distinctive curl pattern...roughly the circumference of a pen spring.

 

I'm definitely a product junkie, and the upcoming Black Friday sales won't help. I ordered some new products during CurlMart's Gray Friday event today, and I can't wait for HairVeda's promotion.

 

These are the products I currently use on a regular basis, and there are more waiting to be tested/added to my rotation:

 

Pre-Poo: HairVeda Vatika Frosting or Dabur Vatika oil weekly, Shea Moisture Purification Masque once a month

Shampoo: Chagrin Valley shampoo bars (I alternate between four or so)

Co-Wash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash Cleansing Conditioner

Deep Conditioner: HairVeda Sitrinillah or Camille Rose Algae Deep Conditioning Mask

Leave-In: Oyin Handmade Hair Dew or Honey Hemp, Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Smoothing Lotion

Moisturizers: B.A.S.K. Beauty Palm Tapioca Deluxe Hair Cream, Oyin Hair Dew, HairVeda Whipped Creme Ends Hydration, Qhemet Biologics Amla & Olive Heavy Cream, Camille Rose Moisture Butter

Oils: HairVeda CoCasta Shikakai, Jojoba oil

Detanglers: B.A.S.K. Silk & Honey Latte Detangling Hair Milk, Qhemet Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee


Edited by nuclearteeth - 11/17/12 at 11:13am
post #15 of 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by CartoonChic View Post

You know what, I never paid any attention to those charts. I have seen some info in passing or if it was mentioned during a YouTube video. I guess I would be somewhere in the 4 range. What is it, 4d, 4e or something like that? But I think people's hair can be a mixture of things. I also think those charts are too complicated from what I've seen. If I were to create my own hair type chart, it would be this:

 

  • Straight
  • Wavy
  • Curly
  • Coily

 

That's a lot easier to follow. I would be Coily because my hair coils up very tightly. I also think keeping things this simple allows for a better inclusion of different ethnicities without stereotyping. I've seen black people with naturally straight or wavy hair, and white people with curly or near coily hair.

 

I totally agree! I hate the box that they put people in as if every single person has to fit in that box.

post #16 of 534
Thread Starter 

This is all very helpful. I'm learning about so many different products and oils.

post #17 of 534

I am relaxed, but I use all natural hair product lines on my hair; because they are paraben and sulfate free. All natutal hair lines are not paraben and sulfate free,  some boggle me down with the long lists of ingredients.   I relax 3 times a year. I try to stretch as long as possible. 

 

I love  Bee Mine Products, luv naturals,  Nubian Heritage (affiliated some how with Shea Moisture) ' EVOO and Moringa line, and OYIN handmade.    I also use a vegan, sulfate free swimmer's shampoo by Ion sold at Sally's.  You don't hair too many of the hair blogs and sites talking about swimmer's shampoos. But all hair types need a good swimmer's shampoo to clarify. Trust trust me when I say,  The Ion shampoo is a gem! 

 

As far as oils. I pre poo with Coconut oil.  Add Olive Oil to my shampoo for slip and  Grapeseed oil for moisturizing when I don't use creams.   I am looking into trying out more oils, specifically to use for hot oil treatments. 

 

 

I deep condition once a week and use protein treatments once a month.    Weekly, I pre poo with Coconut oil, making sure the product is on from root to tip.  Wash, and then deep condition (root to tip)  and sit under a heat cap for moist heat.  Hair dryers for deep conditioning are very drying.    I let my hair air dry.  The only time a blow dryer is used on my hiar is at the hair dressers the few times a year that I go.  

post #18 of 534

Very helpful, sss215. I may be PMing your for a few more details. I would like to stretch, but I've just never been into hair enough to take excellent care of it. It's easier for me to go to the salon every 6-7 weeks for a touch up. I'd like to be doing it more like 3-4 months like you. I need to find some good oils and moisturizers and get in a routine. Doing hair has just never been something that attracted me although I do like to look nice. I feel like a weirdo sometimes due to my lack of interest.

post #19 of 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTT View Post

Very helpful, sss215. I may be PMing your for a few more details. I would like to stretch, but I've just never been into hair enough to take excellent care of it. It's easier for me to go to the salon every 6-7 weeks for a touch up. I'd like to be doing it more like 3-4 months like you. I need to find some good oils and moisturizers and get in a routine. Doing hair has just never been something that attracted me although I do like to look nice. I feel like a weirdo sometimes due to my lack of interest.

 

Sure let me know!   I try to stretch as long as possible and I stay heat free most of the week.  I understand where you are coming from, and once you get started on a great routine, its becomes second nature!

post #20 of 534

I had to jump in. I'm over 2 years post BC but I transitioned for a year and half. I have a TON of hair on my head and if I had to categorize my hair it would be curly/coily or 3c/4a. I like to try products but I wouldn't call myself a product junkie. yet. No matter what I try I seem to keep coming back to a basic routine with core products. I wouldn't call them HG but they are what my hair currently likes.

WASH: Giovanni's 50/50 Shampoo its a hydrating clarifying shampoo.

CONDITIONER: Right now Aussie Moist. Just because its there. I have a bunch of conditioners in the shower right now that I'm trying to work my way through

I wash approximately once a week and keep my hair in protective styling during the week. On the weekends I wear it out and then on Sunday it gets washed and put away. Once out the shower I use:

LEAVE IN: Giovanni Direct Leave In

SEALER: Jojoba oil

STYLER: Bee Mine Curly Butter

MOISTURIZER: Bee Mine Balanced Moisturizer, Oyin Juices & Berries

 

I try to condition once a month Using AS I AM Hydration Elation 

 

I think I'm past APL at this time but I've not straighted my hair since I've cut it. I don't want to or feel a need to. 

 

I also happen to like products from Karen's Body Beautiful, Darcy's Botanicals, Afroveda and Qhemet Biologics. I've tried Miss Jessie's and for my hair it's way too heavy. I do however like their Curly Meringue. 

 I for one will be using the Black Friday sales to stock up on things that I love.

post #21 of 534
Thread Starter 

I've been so focused on Black Friday makeup deals, that I didn't even think to look into hair products.

post #22 of 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by CartoonChic View Post

I've been so focused on Black Friday makeup deals, that I didn't even think to look into hair products.

speaking of black friday...where's the thread for that??? did you find anything good?2cents.gif

post #23 of 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by DILLIGAF View Post

I had to jump in. I'm over 2 years post BC but I transitioned for a year and half. I have a TON of hair on my head and if I had to categorize my hair it would be curly/coily or 3c/4a. I like to try products but I wouldn't call myself a product junkie. yet. No matter what I try I seem to keep coming back to a basic routine with core products. I wouldn't call them HG but they are what my hair currently likes.

WASH: Giovanni's 50/50 Shampoo its a hydrating clarifying shampoo.

CONDITIONER: Right now Aussie Moist. Just because its there. I have a bunch of conditioners in the shower right now that I'm trying to work my way through

I wash approximately once a week and keep my hair in protective styling during the week. On the weekends I wear it out and then on Sunday it gets washed and put away. Once out the shower I use:

LEAVE IN: Giovanni Direct Leave In

SEALER: Jojoba oil

STYLER: Bee Mine Curly Butter

MOISTURIZER: Bee Mine Balanced Moisturizer, Oyin Juices & Berries

 

I try to condition once a month Using AS I AM Hydration Elation 

 

I think I'm past APL at this time but I've not straighted my hair since I've cut it. I don't want to or feel a need to. 

 

I also happen to like products from Karen's Body Beautiful, Darcy's Botanicals, Afroveda and Qhemet Biologics. I've tried Miss Jessie's and for my hair it's way too heavy. I do however like their Curly Meringue. 

 I for one will be using the Black Friday sales to stock up on things that I love.

I think i will look into the Bee mine curly butter and As I AM products... I need to tweak my product list.

post #24 of 534
Hey everyone,
If you use Miss Jessie's their buy one get one free sale is going on now until the fifteenth of December at Target.
post #25 of 534
Thread Starter 

I use shea butter in my custom oil mixtures for hair and skin. I buy it from Coastal Scents and they're having a 50% off Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale. This is their best sale of the year and I always stock up. I also stock up on African black soap.

post #26 of 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by CartoonChic View Post

I use shea butter in my custom oil mixtures for hair and skin. I buy it from Coastal Scents and they're having a 50% off Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale. This is their best sale of the year and I always stock up. I also stock up on African black soap.

essentialwholesale.com has alot of ingredients for custom mixing as well.  i have found their prices to be a little better than Coastal Scents.

post #27 of 534
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sss215 View Post

essentialwholesale.com has alot of ingredients for custom mixing as well.  i have found their prices to be a little better than Coastal Scents.


I need to check out that website. They have a wide selection and I like that Essential Wholesale has a lot of certifications. I only buy from Coastal Scents at this time of year because of the sale. I can get natural unrefined shea butter for only about $4/pound and I like that a portion of the cost goes towards the Project Ghana cooperative.

post #28 of 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by califabulous View Post

I think i will look into the Bee mine curly butter and As I AM products... I need to tweak my product list.

 

My sister just informed me that AS I AM is available at Sally's Beauty Supply stores.

post #29 of 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by DILLIGAF View Post

 

My sister just informed me that AS I AM is available at Sally's Beauty Supply stores.

It is and I like some of their products.  I ordered a sample pack fromt them over the summer and I got to try everything they offer. I was impressed. 

post #30 of 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by sss215 View Post

It is and I like some of their products.  I ordered a sample pack fromt them over the summer and I got to try everything they offer. I was impressed. 

I only have their deep conditioner.I love the stuff. I got it at the World Natural Hair Show in Atlanta and since I was worried I wouldn't be able to get any more I've been very cheap with it. My sister is very lucky to live in Atlanta she is able to get most of the things I want by walking into a store. The shipping costs kill me! I'm just glad another product I love I can get on the ground. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Beauty of Color
Specktra › Welcome to the Specktra Community! › Cosmetic Topics › Beauty of Color › WOC: The Hair Thread