or Connect
Specktra › Welcome to the Specktra Community! › Cosmetic Topics › Beauty of Color › WOC: The Hair Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

WOC: The Hair Thread - Page 3

post #61 of 534
That's good!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CartoonChic View Post


I've never been good at styling my hair whether it was relaxed or natural. I typically have it in some sort of ponytail/bun because that was about all I was able to do. That's why I want to wear it out more. It's weird. My hair is normally in some sort of protective style by default, but I haven't been moisturizing or sealing regularly. It's been whenever I felt like getting around to it. I know that's a huge no-no, but I'm going to get back into the swing of things.
post #62 of 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by CartoonChic View Post

Alright, I'm making a new resolution to take better care of my hair in 2013. I started my new hair care routine in the summer of 2010. That's 2.5 years ago, so I should have about 15" of new length by now. I DO NOT. My hair only seems to be a few inches longer from where I started. Now my ends are thicker, so that's good. But not the progress I expect to have at this point. My hair should be at my tail bone by now, but it's only arm pit length.

I can only blame myself. I definitely have not been doing what I should be doing to retain growth. I was really into it for like the first 6 months when I started. But I wasn't seeing progress as fast as I wanted. I had the watched pot syndrome. Then I got bored with my hair after that. I was tired of wearing it in twists all of the time, but was too afraid to do anything else to it. For the past year and half, it's been completely down hill from there. Too much stress and poor maintenance brings me to the point where I am now. ohboy.gif

But I'm determined to get to where I want. I'm going to do what I know I should be doing as far as maintenance goes. I am happy to say that I have at least experimented more with different hairstyles during this time, so I won't be afraid to wear it out more and have more fun with it to avoid being bored. I'm also going to learn from past mistakes and not watch my progress like a hawk. I've never measured my hair or did official length checks, but I used to tug on it frequently to see if it grew longer. Like several times a day as if I was magically expecting it to grow an inch within a few hours. lol.gif

I'm just going to do my routine and see if there's progress 6 months from now. I should have 3" come June.

Don't put so much pressure on yourself CC. Concentrate on cultivating healthy hair and the rest will come. This way you don't get disappointed with your length not progressing as quickly as you would like.
post #63 of 534
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyGirlDoc View Post


Don't put so much pressure on yourself CC. Concentrate on cultivating healthy hair and the rest will come. This way you don't get disappointed with your length not progressing as quickly as you would like.


Thanks. I'll make sure to do that. I'd say the overall condition of my hair is generally healthy. I'm just not retaining length. That's the only way I can judge my progress or tell if something's wrong. I know it's grown because it was nearly boob length over the summer ( lol.gif <-- immature), but it's not there now. I think that's another reason why I'm frustrated. I was only a couple of inches away from reaching a goal and now I think it's more like 6". Something happened between the summer and now for me to lose about 4". I guess non-stop stress and lack of moisturizing took it's toll.

 

I know I'll get the results I want if I'm more diligent in my routine. I have no plans to go overboard with anything. I think I just need to adjust my routine to include extra moisturizing. I also need to do my best to make 2013 a lot less stressful.

 

By the way, I didn't do anything to my hair for the holidays. It was pulled back into the same tired ponytail. Does anyone else get bored with their hair? What do you do to liven things up?

 

I have headbands, flowers and other accessories, but I'm bored with those too. Like I said, I plan to be more adventurous in hairstyling this year. I get good results with regular twists put into ponytails/buns (my hair practically all the time), twists set on perm rods/flexi rods, and curly fros. The last two options are usually reserved for special occasions, but I want to do them more often. I'm also going to play around more with roller setting and steam rollers.

post #64 of 534

Thanks for this info.  I've been using the As I Am line from the time they first came out, and I really do like the entire line (except for their Curl Clarity Shampoo, and I'm also not really impressed with the Twist Defining Cream).  I was going to try Shea Moisture because a couple of my friends say it's the best thing since sliced bread and they like it better than As I Am.  I think I'll just continue to buy As I Am.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sss215 View Post


Right now and until 1/31, Sally's has all the entire product line for $2.00 off. You just have to get the sales booklet and give the cashier the coupon code. The Coconut CoWash is only 5.99 with the savings. I am definitely going back for another jar before the month is over.
Their shampoo and cleansing cream feels more hydrating than any Shea moisture or Nubian Heritage item I've used. Let me know what you think once you've tried it all out.
post #65 of 534

I am beyond bored with my hair!  I either wear it in a ponytail, pulled back through one of those banana combs, up in bun or up and secured at the base with the curls just wild at the top.  What I really desire is to wear it just out and loose but it has no shape!  The problem as I see it is that, in the area where I live, no stylists are well-versed in natural hair.  Nobody even knows how to cut it.  I have a stylist I trust to trim my ends, but that's as far as I take it.

 

I've tried a couple of times over the last month or so to blow my hair straight and use:  1) a deep waving iron and 2) a regular curling iron.  My hair absolutely *refuses* to hold any type of curl or wave produced by heat.  It is the most mind boggling thing I have ever seen.  I would be completely happy if I could just figure out a way to elongate my natural curl after a wash and air dry (hence the use of the deep waver on my blow dried hair to emulate the look somewhat), but no matter what I've done it just doesn't work.  I am really dismayed (and tired of the same old hair looks).

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CartoonChic View Post

By the way, I didn't do anything to my hair for the holidays. It was pulled back into the same tired ponytail. Does anyone else get bored with their hair? What do you do to liven things up?

 

I have headbands, flowers and other accessories, but I'm bored with those too. Like I said, I plan to be more adventurous in hairstyling this year. I get good results with regular twists put into ponytails/buns (my hair practically all the time), twists set on perm rods/flexi rods, and curly fros. The last two options are usually reserved for special occasions, but I want to do them more often. I'm also going to play around more with roller setting and steam rollers.

post #66 of 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAChostage View Post

I am beyond bored with my hair!  I either wear it in a ponytail, pulled back through one of those banana combs, up in bun or up and secured at the base with the curls just wild at the top.  What I really desire is to wear it just out and loose but it has no shape!  The problem as I see it is that, in the area where I live, no stylists are well-versed in natural hair.  Nobody even knows how to cut it.  I have a stylist I trust to trim my ends, but that's as far as I take it.

I've tried a couple of times over the last month or so to blow my hair straight and use:  1) a deep waving iron and 2) a regular curling iron.  My hair absolutely *refuses* to hold any type of curl or wave produced by heat.  It is the most mind boggling thing I have ever seen.  I would be completely happy if I could just figure out a way to elongate my natural curl after a wash and air dry (hence the use of the deep waver on my blow dried hair to emulate the look somewhat), but no matter what I've done it just doesn't work.  I am really dismayed (and tired of the same old hair looks).


Have your stylist cut "long" layers while your hair is straight. You will get some shape that way.

When I get bored I start using bobby pins and make up styles lol doesn't always work. Man if yawl could see this wanna be ballerina bun atop my head lol.....and I used several bobby pins!!!!
post #67 of 534

Thanks for the tip, califabulous!  As for a neat bun, girl get you one of those spongy "bun forms" from Sally Beauty Supply or use the sock bun method (youtube it).  Foolproof!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by califabulous View Post


Have your stylist cut "long" layers while your hair is straight. You will get some shape that way.
When I get bored I start using bobby pins and make up styles lol doesn't always work. Man if yawl could see this wanna be ballerina bun atop my head lol.....and I used several bobby pins!!!!
post #68 of 534

Oh BTW As I Am is now available at Walgreen's. I know for a lot of people Walgreen's is a bit more convenient than Sally's. I'm going to try a protein treatment this weekend. Let you know what I used and how it turned out.

post #69 of 534
Thread Starter 

I hope you'll be able to figure something out with your hair MACHostage. I'm going to try to do something with mine tomorrow. The colder winter weather has been drying out my hair, but I can't ever let it get this dry. Here's a hair flashback for you guys! greengrin.gif

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWarviPtYIU

post #70 of 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by CartoonChic View Post

I hope you'll be able to figure something out with your hair MACHostage. I'm going to try to do something with mine tomorrow. The colder winter weather has been drying out my hair, but I can't ever let it get this dry. Here's a hair flashback for you guys! greengrin.gif

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWarviPtYIU

Everytime I see this,  I crack up!!!!!  Its still funny after all these years!!!   

post #71 of 534
Hey ladies

I just used some pipe cleaners to curl my hair last night......Voila curls today. Nice and easy as well as inexpensive.


Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Edited by PrettyGirlDoc - 1/13/13 at 1:51pm
post #72 of 534

LOVE LOVE LOVE your hair color. I'm transitioning to gold/golden brown but I think deep in my heart I'm always going to be a red.
 

post #73 of 534

 

This is a shot from this summer. I trimmed it even and have added some demi-color to it since. I'm thinking of trying Oyin Handmade. Anyone try that brand out? Any rec's?

post #74 of 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by lojical1 View Post

LOVE LOVE LOVE your hair color. I'm transitioning to gold/golden brown but I think deep in my heart I'm always going to be a red.

 

Thank you so much. I kept going back and forth with this. It is definitely not a color you dye your hair if you want to blend in with everyone else.

There are different kinds of red so there is a shade for everyone.
post #75 of 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by lojical1 View Post




This is a shot from this summer. I trimmed it even and have added some demi-color to it since. I'm thinking of trying Oyin Handmade. Anyone try that brand out? Any rec's?

Your locs are gorgeous. I haven't tried Oyin products myself. Try going on Scandalous beauty's page. I think she used to talk a lot about their products.
post #76 of 534
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyGirlDoc View Post

Hey ladies

I just used some pipe cleaners to curl my hair last night......Voila curls today. Nice and easy as well as inexpensive.


 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lojical1 View Post

 

 

This is a shot from this summer. I trimmed it even and have added some demi-color to it since. I'm thinking of trying Oyin Handmade. Anyone try that brand out? Any rec's?

 

Beautiful!

post #77 of 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by lojical1 View Post

 

This is a shot from this summer. I trimmed it even and have added some demi-color to it since. I'm thinking of trying Oyin Handmade. Anyone try that brand out? Any rec's?

Beautiful hair!  

 

I am a big fan of Oyin handmade!   I use their Burnt Sugar Pomade to smooth edges, and as a sealing oil and their Honey Hemp conditioner for conditioning, co-washes and leave ins.   I heard the Brown Sugar Pomade is a great loc butter.    Their Juices and Berries sprays are popular.     Check them out! 

 

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyGirlDoc View Post


Your locs are gorgeous. I haven't tried Oyin products myself. Try going on Scandalous beauty's page. I think she used to talk a lot about their products.
 yes, she used to work there. 
post #78 of 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by lojical1 View Post

 

This is a shot from this summer. I trimmed it even and have added some demi-color to it since. I'm thinking of trying Oyin Handmade. Anyone try that brand out? Any rec's?

I'm one of those people that love Oyin Handmade's Juices and Berries. I spray it on my hair before a shower. Place a shower cap over the whole lot and when I get out of the shower my hair is super duper soft. It is a humectant so here in Miami its just about perfect for keeping my hair moisturized in the intense humidity. If you live in an area that gets dry in the winter you way want to restrict using it to just the more humid summer months.

post #79 of 534

*Joins convo*

 

I've been natural since 2010 and I'm loving it so far (profile pic is from November 2011). I am a true pj so I won't list all of the stuff I use,  just my HG items. 

 

Shampoo- Creme of Nature Argan oil

 

Co Cleanser - Curl Junkie Daily Fix 

                     As I am Co-wash

 

Conditioner- Tresemme Naturals (any)

Leave in- Darcy's Pumpkinseed love.gif

              Shea Moisture curl enhancing smoothie

 

Mosturizer - B.A.S.K. Palm Tapioca

 

Gel- Kiss My Face Upper Management Gel

       Eco Styler

post #80 of 534

Thanks ladies for the love and rec's on the oyin products. I'll report back with what i get/what I think of it.

post #81 of 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNcheese View Post

*Joins convo*

 

I've been natural since 2010 and I'm loving it so far (profile pic is from November 2011). I am a true pj so I won't list all of the stuff I use,  just my HG items. 

 

Shampoo- Creme of Nature Argan oil

 

Co Cleanser - Curl Junkie Daily Fix 

                     As I am Co-wash

 

Conditioner- Tresemme Naturals (any)

Leave in- Darcy's Pumpkinseed love.gif

              Shea Moisture curl enhancing smoothie

 

Mosturizer - B.A.S.K. Palm Tapioca

 

Gel- Kiss My Face Upper Management Gel

       Eco Styler

love your hair, mine is similiar. I might try some of these.  

 

I used to be a product junkie.  Now I just cowash with Sally's version of WEN, Hairone, (I LOVE THIS STUFF), and use some garnier fructis styling products.  If I diffuse my hair. I use a keratin heat protector.   

 

I used to be on the natural hair boards as much as I am on specktra.  talk about addicted.  I know now need to relearn everything and start over.  

post #82 of 534

I'm dying to try anything from the following brands:

  • Curl Junkies
  • Camille Rose Naturals
  • Qhemet Biologics 
  • Anita Grant Rhassoul Blocks
  • Kamaza Care
post #83 of 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettypackages View Post

love your hair, mine is similiar. I might try some of these.  

 

I used to be a product junkie.  Now I just cowash with Sally's version of WEN, Hairone, (I LOVE THIS STUFF), and use some garnier fructis styling products.  If I diffuse my hair. I use a keratin heat protector.   

 

I used to be on the natural hair boards as much as I am on specktra.  talk about addicted.  I know now need to relearn everything and start over.  

Thanks. I am on those boards regularly myself!

post #84 of 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by DILLIGAF View Post

I'm dying to try anything from the following brands:

  • Curl Junkies
  • Camille Rose Naturals
  • Qhemet Biologics 
  • Anita Grant Rhassoul Blocks
  • Kamaza Care

 

 

I really love curl junkie products and komaza califia pudding. The califia moisturizing spray from komaza did nothing for me. I still have camille rose and qhemet on my list to try. 
post #85 of 534

Awesome to see this!! Natural since 12/08

 

HG's

 

Poo-

Kinky Curly Come Clean

Chagrin Valley Ayurvedic Herb poo bar

 

Conditioner-

Tresemme Naturals

Elucence Moisture Balance 

 

Leave in-

Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion

 

Deep Conditoner-

Curl Junkie Deep Fix

Aubrey Organics Jojoba & Aloe 

 

Protein-

Curl Junkie Repair Me!

 

Sealent-

Oyin Handmade Burnt Sugar

Nubian Heritage Mango Butter

 

Lola(my hair) does not like nettle, aloe(left in), gel of most kinds, and proteins(left in).

post #86 of 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richelle83 View Post

Awesome to see this!! Natural since 12/08

HG's

Poo-
Kinky Curly Come Clean
Chagrin Valley Ayurvedic Herb poo bar

Conditioner-
Tresemme Naturals
Elucence Moisture Balance 

Leave in-
Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion

Deep Conditoner-
Curl Junkie Deep Fix
Aubrey Organics Jojoba & Aloe 

Protein-
Curl Junkie Repair Me!

Sealent-
Oyin Handmade Burnt Sugar
Nubian Heritage Mango Butter

Lola(my hair) does not like nettle, aloe(left in), gel of most kinds, and proteins(left in).

I love Oyin's Burnt Sugar as a sealant! It's an amazing product and it lasts forever. I brought some Memorial Day weekend and I still have more than 1/2 left
post #87 of 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by sss215 View Post


I love Oyin's Burnt Sugar as a sealant! It's an amazing product and it lasts forever. I brought some Memorial Day weekend and I still have more than 1/2 left

 

It lasts forever! Glad they made the berries scent but I still prefer burnt sugar.

 

Oh I forgot, if coconut oil is too high on the list or if used by itself, Lola is not a happy camper.

post #88 of 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richelle83 View Post

It lasts forever! Glad they made the berries scent but I still prefer burnt sugar.

Oh I forgot, if coconut oil is too high on the list or if used by itself, Lola is not a happy camper.

Never smelled the berry one. I started to get it, but the burnt sugar smells so good; I'm like if it isn't broke don't fix it!
post #89 of 534
Ive been natural since about 1997 had locs twice in between. At 36 dont have the time or patience anymore, so im gonna comb a mild relaxer through it to cut down on thickness and lessen the tangling since my fine stands like to hug each orther. I have 3 different damn textures. .smh ...I want to actually retain some length
post #90 of 534

Wow. I'm glad that I came across this thread. Hair boards, can sometimes be overwhelming.  I'm only 7 months post relaxer, and I've been wearing sew-in weaves.  My hair is about APL and very thick. I'm definitely a 4c, 4d, and 5a textured person, and my hair has issues retaining moisture.  

 

I'm at a crossroads as to what to do with my hair.  I like to wear my hair straight, but I'd like the freedom to wear wash and gos.  However, I have a very round, big cheeked face that I don't think looks as nice with short hair (yes, I somewhat hide behind my hair).  

Also, I don't know how to braid or twist hair- which is a problem since it severely limits my styling options.  But, my hair is so textured that  I don't know how realistic it is for me to expect my hair to have any real health, in a relaxed and/or constantly heat straightened state. 

 

So, I don't know if I'm going to continue to not relax, and be addicted to flat irons, blow outs, and/or sew in weaves for the rest of my life.  Or, if I'm going to just bite the bullet and wear my natural hair- which I know will require a lot of patience and styling time. 

 

Anyone with 4c, 4d hair have any suggestions?  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Beauty of Color
Specktra › Welcome to the Specktra Community! › Cosmetic Topics › Beauty of Color › WOC: The Hair Thread