or Connect
Specktra › Welcome to the Specktra Community! › Cosmetic Topics › Cosmetic Discussion › NARS › NARS Light Reflecting Setting Powders
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NARS Light Reflecting Setting Powders - Page 12

post #331 of 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanfour View Post

How does this compare to the Make Up Forever HD Microfinish Powder?  I just bought another one of those and I haven't opened it yet.  Can someone who has tried both give me some similarities and differences? The MUFE container is still in the bag with the receipt. anyone.gif

I have an unopened MUFE one also. How do you like it? I have so many powders I need to use up before I open it. What makes it so different? I did hear it doesn't do so well with flash photography... True?
post #332 of 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNcheese View Post

Does anyone know how this compares to the Koh Gen Do natural lighting powder? Just researching for once my no buy is over. 

 

 

anyone.gif

post #333 of 485

I finally used the loose powder last night, and I didn't like it.  But I think it was due to user error.  My application skills really need some help.  But I looked very powdery with this on, I'm also not sure if I notice a difference in pics...  But I'll keep trying.  

I used  this one form Sonia Kashuk,  

 

 

http://www.target.com/p/sonia-kashuk-core-tools-synthetic-buffing-brush/-/A-13955460#prodSlot=medium_1_57&term=sonia+kashuk

post #334 of 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettypackages View Post

I finally used the loose powder last night, and I didn't like it.  But I think it was due to user error.  My application skills really need some help.  But I looked very powdery with this on, I'm also not sure if I notice a difference in pics...  But I'll keep trying.  

I used  this one form Sonia Kashuk,  

 

 

http://www.target.com/p/sonia-kashuk-core-tools-synthetic-buffing-brush/-/A-13955460#prodSlot=medium_1_57&term=sonia+kashuk

 

Yes, I felt the same way. It's either no difference at all, or a kind of ghostly cast (even though I'm very pale already). Not much, just a teeny bit. I tried MAC's 129 and 187.

Also, did anyone else notice a smell? I feel like my brushes smell like nachos after I applied the powder with them. icon_eek.gif th_roll1.gifblush-anim-cl.gif

 

I feel so bad, I really, really want to love this powder, but so far I don't. 001_unsure.gif

post #335 of 485

I picked up the loose powder today.  I had to go to 2 Sephoras to find it. I'm going to try it on before I go to bed.  I have to decide which brush to use. I have a fan brush and almost all the duo fiber brushes that Mac had put out.  I mostly use a #138 (I think) tapered powder brush to apply the Becca Loose powder that I wear daily.

post #336 of 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by B7uemo0n View Post

I have an unopened MUFE one also. How do you like it? I have so many powders I need to use up before I open it. What makes it so different? I did hear it doesn't do so well with flash photography... True?
It's ok. The only thing I've noticed is that it makes my makeup last longer. There's no mattifying effect. Maybe I'm applying it wrong or with the wrong brush. That's why I'm debating exchanging it for this new Nars product.
post #337 of 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettypackages View Post

I finally used the loose powder last night, and I didn't like it.  But I think it was due to user error.  My application skills really need some help.  But I looked very powdery with this on, I'm also not sure if I notice a difference in pics...  But I'll keep trying.  


I used  this one form Sonia Kashuk,  


http://www.target.com/p/sonia-kashuk-core-tools-synthetic-buffing-brush/-/A-13955460#prodSlot=medium_1_57&term=sonia+kashuk

When I first got mine i used a powder brush and i didn't like the results so much. Then i tried buffing it w/a kabuki and got better results.
post #338 of 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by missanne View Post


When I first got mine i used a powder brush and i didn't like the results so much. Then i tried buffing it w/a kabuki and got better results.

ok, cool.  I'll try that. 

post #339 of 485

A little really does go a long way...and I lightly buff it, in circular motion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettypackages View Post

I finally used the loose powder last night, and I didn't like it.  But I think it was due to user error.  My application skills really need some help.  But I looked very powdery with this on, I'm also not sure if I notice a difference in pics...  But I'll keep trying.  

I used  this one form Sonia Kashuk,  

 

 

http://www.target.com/p/sonia-kashuk-core-tools-synthetic-buffing-brush/-/A-13955460#prodSlot=medium_1_57&term=sonia+kashuk

I think it's a nutty smell icon_eek.gif  Now I'll have to check my Yachiyo for the scent of nachos lmao.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naynadine View Post

 

Yes, I felt the same way. It's either no difference at all, or a kind of ghostly cast (even though I'm very pale already). Not much, just a teeny bit. I tried MAC's 129 and 187.

Also, did anyone else notice a smell? I feel like my brushes smell like nachos after I applied the powder with them. icon_eek.gif th_roll1.gifblush-anim-cl.gif

 

I feel so bad, I really, really want to love this powder, but so far I don't. 001_unsure.gif

post #340 of 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medgal07 View Post

A little really does go a long way...and I lightly buff it, in circular motion.

I think it's a nutty smell icon_eek.gif  Now I'll have to check my Yachiyo for the scent of nachos lmao.gif

 

Maybe I'm just really craving nachos, to the point where I'm hallucinating. girlhaha.gif Let me know if you detect anything. amuse.gif

post #341 of 485

Temptalia posted reviews of these.

 

Loose powder

Pressed powder

post #342 of 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by duku View Post

Temptalia posted reviews of these.

 

Loose powder

Pressed powder

 

She doesn't shy away from criticising Nars when she doesn't like a product, so giving them both an A+ is a pretty strong statement. Dying to try one of these, but still torn between the loose and pressed formula. 

post #343 of 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecaramellatte View Post

I saw this in Sephora and almost picked it up but I had just come from a Laura Mercier event and bought a powder from them so I thought it would be best to come on here and do research.  It's looking like I will pick this up.   

Thanks for the review.  I was wondering about the ashy factor.  I will check out this pencil and the Sally Hansen.  I have a lip exfoliator from SH that I really like and want to try some other SH lip products.

So true.  Translucent doesn't always work for WOC.

I'm torn because its translucent and its always different on darker skin. I need to get to a NARS counter to see if I can get a sample. Hopefully yes; I don't want to buy it only to return it if it doesn't work.
post #344 of 485

I don't think this powder is for me :( I first tried it on one half of my face following exfoliation and I DID feel that my makeup wore better than normal, but I didn't particularly notice any blurring effect. The subsequent times I used the powder I tried it all over my face, but not on "scrubby days" - my face is too sensitive to withstand daily exfoliation - and it seemed that the powder revealed flakes on my skin that I didn't know were there (I even tried fluffing it on with a powder brush vs buffing with a kabuki). I also felt really gross at the end of each day so I really don't think the ingredients are agreeing with my skin. I wanted to love it but...nope. It's probably just as well that I keep my routine simple, and I'm glad I tried it so now I know!

post #345 of 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by katred View Post

 

She doesn't shy away from criticising Nars when she doesn't like a product, so giving them both an A+ is a pretty strong statement. Dying to try one of these, but still torn between the loose and pressed formula. 

 

I know I cannot decide either! I'm thinking loose and just keep my Chanel pressed powder in my purse if needed. I'm going on holiday tomorrow so I will decide when I'm back...Thank Goodness Nars seldom does limited edition things.

post #346 of 485
Went to sephora and picked up the reflecting loose setting powder. Liked the way it looked when the mua applied it.
post #347 of 485

I picked up a jar recently and I love it. I have combination oily skin and the powder sets my foundation + concealer + blush really well.

 

I do agree that it has a slightly food-like smell. Reminded me of dim sums :)

 

It seems like a little bit goes a long way, I barely picked much up on my brush but my face was definitely powdered,

 

I always choose loose over pressed as I feel like I get more product for the same price - especially with NARS and MAC's Prep+Prime powder.

post #348 of 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecaramellatte View Post

I picked up the loose powder today.  I had to go to 2 Sephoras to find it. I'm going to try it on before I go to bed.  I have to decide which brush to use. I have a fan brush and almost all the duo fiber brushes that Mac had put out.  I mostly use a #138 (I think) tapered powder brush to apply the Becca Loose powder that I wear daily.

Please post how you like it vs the Laura Mercier if you have time. 

post #349 of 485
I am a WOC (MUFE 173/NC45) and I love this loose powder. It's not chalky and has a subtle sheen. It makes my make up last all day! LOVE it!
post #350 of 485

I contemplated on buying this, but finally decided against it, after my friend tried and said it won't give me an "ethereal" glow.

 

I have an HG loose powder that's manufactured here in the Philippines and cost, like 0.40 usd for a huge tube. :)) It seriously performs better on me than my Chanel Poudre Universelle Libre. I think the Chanel one is too pink for me. I am using #20 Clair - I probably should have bought #10 Limpide. #30 Naturelle makes me look tanned.

 

Back on the NARS, I still want to try it. But it's very expensive where I am (almost 50 dollars) and I got severe irritation from NARS Sheer Glow and Tinted Moisturizer that I can't take this huge risk. Will wait for testers at the counter - it just arrived, and there are no testers available yet.

 

I want an "ethereal" glow though. How do I get that? So far, my attempts have succeeded in making me oily. Or is ethereal too much to aspire for in a tropical country?

post #351 of 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by shazzy22 View Post

Went to sephora and picked up the reflecting loose setting powder. Liked the way it looked when the mua applied it.

cheerleader.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieran View Post

I picked up a jar recently and I love it. I have combination oily skin and the powder sets my foundation + concealer + blush really well.

 

I do agree that it has a slightly food-like smell. Reminded me of dim sums :)

 

It seems like a little bit goes a long way, I barely picked much up on my brush but my face was definitely powdered,

 

I always choose loose over pressed as I feel like I get more product for the same price - especially with NARS and MAC's Prep+Prime powder.

 

clap.gif

 

 

I would say - get the loose if you cannot decide.

post #352 of 485

I just read T's reviews. You can most definitely see the difference in the blurring of her skin. The photo of just foundation vs the Nars side which is obviously nicer.

But, you have to remember she over does everything so that it shows in the pics, but that is not the intent of wearing this powder in real life. You do not need a lot. I wonder if some that find it too white or powdery are simply using too much or the wrong brush which both will defeat the purpose of this natural enhancing powder.

post #353 of 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by B7uemo0n View Post

I have an unopened MUFE one also. How do you like it? I have so many powders I need to use up before I open it. What makes it so different? I did hear it doesn't do so well with flash photography... True?
I heard the same things about the flash effect. That is one reason why I exchanged it for the NARS loose powder.
post #354 of 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieran View Post

I picked up a jar recently and I love it. I have combination oily skin and the powder sets my foundation + concealer + blush really well.

 

I do agree that it has a slightly food-like smell. Reminded me of dim sums :)

 

It seems like a little bit goes a long way, I barely picked much up on my brush but my face was definitely powdered,

 

I always choose loose over pressed as I feel like I get more product for the same price - especially with NARS and MAC's Prep+Prime powder.

 

Does the smell linger on your face at all?  I don't want to walk around smelling of dim sum!  nope.gif

post #355 of 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisianthus View Post

Does the smell linger on your face at all?  I don't want to walk around smelling of dim sum!  nope.gif
I didn't smell anything. Maybe because I was trying to apply it correctly.
post #356 of 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanfour View Post

I heard the same things about the flash effect. That is one reason why I exchanged it for the NARS loose powder.

The MUFE HD powder has zero flashback if a small amount is used and it's buffed into the skin with a somewhat firm brush. I never had any problems with it after I picked up on that trick. Before it looked like I threw powder on my face.

I finally returned the loose powder to Saks today. Bummer that so many people loved it, but not me. It just didn't do anything for my particular skin type. The blur effect went really wrong on my skin and took the life out of it.

One blogger I follow said she puts on her foundation, a powder and then the Nars powder. She says the Nars powder doesn't really set her foundation, but it adds the airbrush affect if saved for last. That's an interesting idea, but I'm not doing all that.
post #357 of 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by shontay07108 View Post


The MUFE HD powder has zero flashback if a small amount is used and it's buffed into the skin with a somewhat firm brush. I never had any problems with it after I picked up on that trick. Before it looked like I threw powder on my face.

I finally returned the loose powder to Saks today. Bummer that so many people loved it, but not me. It just didn't do anything for my particular skin type. The blur effect went really wrong on my skin and took the life out of it.

One blogger I follow said she puts on her foundation, a powder and then the Nars powder. She says the Nars powder doesn't really set her foundation, but it adds the airbrush affect if saved for last. That's an interesting idea, but I'm not doing all that.

 

When I first got this powder, I used it all the time and I never experienced the flashback.

post #358 of 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisianthus View Post

 

Does the smell linger on your face at all?  I don't want to walk around smelling of dim sum!  nope.gif

Hahaha, no, the smell does not linger :)

post #359 of 485

I thought the loose smelled vaguely of peanut butter.  :)  It definitely doesn't linger at all though.

post #360 of 485
I noticed a scent to the powder, too that I couldn't place. Peanut butter might be close, but it didn't stay. I wondered if it was just my jar or what.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NARS
Specktra › Welcome to the Specktra Community! › Cosmetic Topics › Cosmetic Discussion › NARS › NARS Light Reflecting Setting Powders