or Connect
Specktra › Welcome to the Specktra Community! › MAC Chat  › MAC Chat › MAC BRUSHES (GENERAL DISCUSSION)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MAC BRUSHES (GENERAL DISCUSSION)

post #1 of 259
Thread Starter 

Hi All,

 

a few ladies mentioned a discussion board for brushes, I think it is a great idea so here I am :)

 

I just purchased a 191 any thoughts?

post #2 of 259

Ooh, a brush thread! cheerleader.gif

 

I have the 191 as well. While I love how it feels on the skin, I'm not sure what to use it for, since I don't really use foundation. I do like it better than the 190.

 

I just purchased a BU of the 287, because I love it for concealer. I bought it on eBay, since the german brush prices are crazy. I know it can be scary purchasing MAC brushes from eBay, but so far I've only had good experiences.

post #3 of 259
Thread Starter 

hi detective Naynadine!!

 

I haven't tried the 287

 

I picked up a 239,237 and 224 for my kit (god knows why they would discontinue the 224 seriously!!)

 

I picked the 191 and a duo fibre pointy eye brush for myself to try out...

post #4 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by pemily View Post

hi detective Naynadine!!

 

I haven't tried the 287

 

I picked up a 239,237 and 224 for my kit (god knows why they would discontinue the 224 seriously!!)

 

I picked the 191 and a duo fibre pointy eye brush for myself to try out...

 

They're discontinuing the 224?? Is that only in Australia or worldwide? OMG, I love that brush, going to order a backup if that is true. 

post #5 of 259

I have placed an order on the 239 brush since I have not purchased a MAC brush in ages! I will have to place an order on the 224 Brush tomorrow!

post #6 of 259

I think they're just discontinuing the 224 in Australia.  

 

This is a pretty cool thread. I recently bought a MAC 192 from a CCO and it's the best!!!! I was previously using a Real Techniques tapered flat brush or an ELF concealer brush for my concealer, and then I discovered what a real concealer brush is when I found the 192.  I use studiofinish for my concealer, and the 192 really blends the product well on my skin. I wish I could find another one. 

post #7 of 259
Thread Starter 
Hmmm it appears just aus.... I don't know why they would do that!!!
I love the 224!!!
post #8 of 259

I love brushes. I've purchased quite a few over the past year or so, but it's the one area in my collection that I'm still actively adding to. I'm most excited to get the 235 when it repromotes this spring. This is my current collection:

 

 

116 - Blush Brush
129SH - Powder/Blush Brush
130 - Short Duo Fibre Brush
136 - Large Powder/Blush Brush
167SH - Face Blender Brush (LE) 
168 - Large Angled Contour Brush
179 - Angled Split Fibre Buffer Brush (LE)
184 - Duo Fibre Fan Brush 
187 - Duo Fibre Brush
188 - Small Duo Fibre Brush
189 - Face Brush
190SE - Foundation
205 - Mascara Fan Brush
208 - Angled Brow
211 - Pointed Liner Brush
217 - Blending Brush
219 - Pencil Brush
224 - Tapered Blending Brush
234 - Split Fibre Eye Blending Brush (LE)
239 - Eye Shading Brush
249 - Large Shader Brush
266 - Small Angle Brush
287 - Duo Fibre Eye Shadow Brush (LE)
311 - Lip Liner Brush
post #9 of 259

The 191 I use for cream foundations i.e  Studio Tech....

post #10 of 259

Thanks for opening this thread Pemily.

 

I have the 134 brush and heard it is good for bronzer. Any suggestions on how use it for that?

 

Thank you.

post #11 of 259

I picked up the 189 and it works pretty well with pressed powders, however, I just realized I don't really use pressed powders. LOL. (I got a sample of the new MUFE powder foundation and tried it with that.) Any other recommendations for this brush? I'm afraid I'm gonna have to get rid of it.

post #12 of 259
Thread Starter 

I'm on a bit of a brush kick lately...... I personally have the 235 from when it released with Semi Precious and personally I hardly use it.... It's big. I would check it out first, IF you have any recs of what you plan on using it for please do share I would love to know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audrey C View Post

I love brushes. I've purchased quite a few over the past year or so, but it's the one area in my collection that I'm still actively adding to. I'm most excited to get the 235 when it repromotes this spring. This is my current collection:

 

 

116 - Blush Brush
129SH - Powder/Blush Brush
130 - Short Duo Fibre Brush
136 - Large Powder/Blush Brush
167SH - Face Blender Brush (LE) 
168 - Large Angled Contour Brush
179 - Angled Split Fibre Buffer Brush (LE)
184 - Duo Fibre Fan Brush 
187 - Duo Fibre Brush
188 - Small Duo Fibre Brush
189 - Face Brush
190SE - Foundation
205 - Mascara Fan Brush
208 - Angled Brow
211 - Pointed Liner Brush
217 - Blending Brush
219 - Pencil Brush
224 - Tapered Blending Brush
234 - Split Fibre Eye Blending Brush (LE)
239 - Eye Shading Brush
249 - Large Shader Brush
266 - Small Angle Brush
287 - Duo Fibre Eye Shadow Brush (LE)
311 - Lip Liner Brush

 

 

your welcome Iyse :) hmmm the 134 looks a lil odd does't it LOL... can't really see a major use there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyseD View Post

Thanks for opening this thread Pemily.

 

I have the 134 brush and heard it is good for bronzer. Any suggestions on how use it for that?

 

Thank you.

post #13 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTT View Post

I picked up the 189 and it works pretty well with pressed powders, however, I just realized I don't really use pressed powders. LOL. (I got a sample of the new MUFE powder foundation and tried it with that.) Any other recommendations for this brush? I'm afraid I'm gonna have to get rid of it.

Try using it for face highlighters. It's stiff enough to apply it precisely, yet flexible enough to blend it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pemily View Post

I'm on a bit of a brush kick lately...... I personally have the 235 from when it released with Semi Precious and personally I hardly use it.... It's big. I would check it out first, IF you have any recs of what you plan on using it for please do share I would love to know!


your welcome Iyse smiles.gif hmmm the 134 looks a lil odd does't it LOL... can't really see a major use there!

It's great for bronzer, magically cool powders, or setting and finishing powders.
post #14 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by erine1881 View Post

Try using it for face highlighters. It's stiff enough to apply it precisely, yet flexible enough to blend it out.
It's great for bronzer, magically cool powders, or setting and finishing powders.

I would have thought it was too big for highlighters. Thanks so much for the tip. I really hope it works b/c the brush seems very nice quality-wise. I've got Whisper of Gilt and NARS Luster to test it out.

post #15 of 259
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by erine1881 View Post


Try using it for face highlighters. It's stiff enough to apply it precisely, yet flexible enough to blend it out.
It's great for bronzer, magically cool powders, or setting and finishing powders.

 

Hmm I would of thought too small for that?!?!?

im going to try it.... Given your expertise :-) which side first lol

post #16 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTT View Post

I would have thought it was too big for highlighters. Thanks so much for the tip. I really hope it works b/c the brush seems very nice quality-wise. I've got Whisper of Gilt and NARS Luster to test it out.

Cheek highlight, temple, down the nose...it's perfect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pemily View Post

Hmm I would of thought too small for that?!?!?
im going to try it.... Given your expertise :-) which side first lol

The 134 isn't really all that small.
post #17 of 259
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by erine1881 View Post


Cheek highlight, temple, down the nose...it's perfect!
The 134 isn't really all that small.

Haha!!!! 

 

I thought we were talking about the 235 lmao

im like whatever floats their boat haha

post #18 of 259
post #19 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTT View Post

I picked up the 189 and it works pretty well with pressed powders, however, I just realized I don't really use pressed powders. LOL. (I got a sample of the new MUFE powder foundation and tried it with that.) Any other recommendations for this brush? I'm afraid I'm gonna have to get rid of it.

 this is my favorite brush to use with my liquid foundation.  I went to a MAC class on bridal makeup and the MA said  that due to the size of the brush she can apply foundation the fastest with it, she said its perfect for her when she has bridal parties and is pressed for time. 

 

of course based on her recommendation, I brought one and really appreciated how fast you can apply product with it.  the application is streak free and I think its due to the way the ends of the bristles are cut. Flawless and fast, that's why i love it.   I also use this brush with my MSFN.   its a great brush and I hope you can find a good way to make it work.  

post #20 of 259

I haven't read all the posts yet, and i will.

 

However, i have a question. I recently purchased a NARS cream blush, Gold Member, and a NARS cream eye shadow, Mousson. I may well have brushes that work for them but i'm not sure. What brushes would people recommend? I'm looking for a light touch with the cream blush so i don't look like Gold Finger.

post #21 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTT View Post
I picked up the 189 and it works pretty well with pressed powders, however, I just realized I don't really use pressed powders. LOL. (I got a sample of the new MUFE powder foundation and tried it with that.) Any other recommendations for this brush? I'm afraid I'm gonna have to get rid of it.

 

Oh!!! That's a brush i'm going to have to buy!

 

I have a Revlon brush from the late 60s or early 70s that's very much like it. I LOVE that brush, but, well, it's getting old and tired. It still works great, but it has been losing hairs from around the outside over the decades - it is close to 45 years old, after all. It has a black lacquered wooden handle and beautiful, soft but firm, real animal hairs (don't cry, animal activists, those animals went to heaven a long time ago). ETA: It's labeled Complexion Brush.

 

That was back when there weren't very many makeup brushes on the market for the general public. I have used it for both pressed and loose face powders and for pressed powder blush. I was into contouring in the 70s and used my brush for that too. So i can see the MAC 189 working with just about any powder for the face and cheeks - face powder, blush, highlighter, contour. I would hesitate to use it with creams or other emollient based products because it's so thick i'd be concerned it would just suck that stuff up.


Edited by lilinah - 2/19/13 at 12:02pm
post #22 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyseD View Post
http://www.sigmabeauty.com/Sigma_Spa_Brush_Cleaning_Glove_p/bc001.htm

 

I am so getting this.

 

That looks like a fun toy.

post #23 of 259

My first MAC brush was the 190 and I used it forever for SFF back in the day ; )

post #24 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKESHA1908 View Post

My first MAC brush was the 190 and I used it forever for SFF back in the day ; )

That was my first brush too! I got it in 2004 to do my sister's makeup for her prom. Aside from that I just used studio fix powder plus with the sponge or puff it came with. I wasn't into face brushes then, now I can't get enough of them!

My 190 is still in great shape too! All I use it for is primer and moisturizer now.
post #25 of 259

The best topic ever ;-)

 

I love MAC brushes and collect them for some time now...so I own about 65 different :-)

post #26 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by erine1881 View Post

Cheek highlight, temple, down the nose...it's perfect!
The 134 isn't really all that small.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pemily View Post

Haha!!!! 

 

I thought we were talking about the 235 lmao

im like whatever floats their boat haha

 

I was talking about the 189. Are we all on a different page? lol.gif

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilinah View Post

Oh!!! That's a brush i'm going to have to buy!

 

I have a Revlon brush from the late 60s or early 70s that's very much like it. I LOVE that brush, but, well, it's getting old and tired. It still works great, but it has been losing hairs from around the outside over the decades - it is close to 45 years old, after all. It has a black lacquered wooden handle and beautiful, soft but firm, real animal hairs (don't cry, animal activists, those animals went to heaven a long time ago). ETA: It's labeled Complexion Brush.

 

That was back when there weren't very many makeup brushes on the market for the general public. I have used it for both pressed and loose face powders and for pressed powder blush. I was into contouring in the 70s and used my brush for that too. So i can see the MAC 189 working with just about any powder for the face and cheeks - face powder, blush, highlighter, contour. I would hesitate to use it with creams or other emollient based products because it's so thick i'd be concerned it would just suck that stuff up.

 

I love your stories. I was cracking up about the long dead animals. The 189 brush is synthetic so it should work well with emollients. It came out with the MSFN I think. Anyway, I did try it with foundation last month and it worked well, but I don't recall if it sucked up product.

post #27 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by sss215 View Post

 this is my favorite brush to use with my liquid foundation.  I went to a MAC class on bridal makeup and the MA said  that due to the size of the brush she can apply foundation the fastest with it, she said its perfect for her when she has bridal parties and is pressed for time. 

 

of course based on her recommendation, I brought one and really appreciated how fast you can apply product with it.  the application is streak free and I think its due to the way the ends of the bristles are cut. Flawless and fast, that's why i love it.   I also use this brush with my MSFN.   its a great brush and I hope you can find a good way to make it work.  

 

It does help liquid foundation go on quickly and streak-free, but I found a new HG foundation brush (UD Optical Blurring Brush) so I won't be using this big, whopping paint brush for that again. Like you say though the cut of it is flawless. It's just a great quality brush. I've never tried MSFN. Is that mineral makeup? I don't really use pressed powders and quit the mineral makeup last year due to a suddenly developed allergic reaction to Bare Minerals.

 

So excited. This thread is going to be great!

post #28 of 259

I actually just ordered a few brushes today! I'm kind of over my sigma brushes and really wanted to try out some more mac brushes. I already have the 217 en 129 which I both love. Today I ordered the 109, 130, 219, 286, and 239 so super excited, can't wait till they arrive!mac_atemywallet.gif

post #29 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilinah View Post

I haven't read all the posts yet, and i will.

However, i have a question. I recently purchased a NARS cream blush, Gold Member, and a NARS cream eye shadow, Mousson. I may well have brushes that work for them but i'm not sure. What brushes would people recommend? I'm looking for a light touch with the cream blush so i don't look like Gold Finger.

For the blush, try the 168 or the 188. For the shadow, the 249 (currently being DCd).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTT View Post

I was talking about the 189. Are we all on a different page? lol.gif

No, i multi-quoted two different questions about two different brushes, you with then189, another with the 134. Then someone quoted me, which included my response to both questions, which is what you're seeing. Go off of my original quote.
post #30 of 259

Ah, thanks. I didn't realize the 2nd person you were quoting was talking about a different brush.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: MAC Chat
Specktra › Welcome to the Specktra Community! › MAC Chat  › MAC Chat › MAC BRUSHES (GENERAL DISCUSSION)