or Connect
Specktra › Welcome to the Specktra Community! › MAC Chat › MAC BRUSHES (GENERAL DISCUSSION)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MAC BRUSHES (GENERAL DISCUSSION) - Page 2

post #31 of 254

I am looking to improve my brush collection.

I have about 40 brushes. Some i don't use (those cute Tokidoki ones - some ancient ones from the 70s). Only three are MAC and they are among my favorites.

I'm going to post what i use most in two separate messages, otherwise this one will be far too long. I hope some brush genius can give me some suggestions.

post #32 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTT View Post

Ah, thanks. I didn't realize the 2nd person you were quoting was talking about a different brush.

th_wink3.gif
post #33 of 254

For Face Makeup, i tend to use

 

color correcting face primer - i use my fingers, should i apply with a brush? if yes, what brush?

 

liquid foundation - EcoTools foundation brush 1202 - apply with fingers, then blend and smooth with brush

 

mineral powder foundation - bare Escentuals Flawless Application Face Brush

 

creamy concealer - EcoTools concealer brush 1230

 

pressed face powder - Sonia Kashuk Powder Brush (black contour handle)

 

loose face powder - Sonia Kashuk Powder Brush (black contour handle) -or- my old Revlon Complexion (paddle) Brush

 

pressed powder blush - MAC 188 Small Duo Fibre Stippling Brush

 

MAC Casual Colour Cream blush - MAC 130 Short Duo Fibre Brush

 

MSF - MAC 188 Small Duo Fibre Stippling Brush

 

EDSF - MAC 130 Short Duo Fibre Brush

 

highlighter - MAC 188 Small Duo Fibre Stippling Brush

 

loose finishing powder - Sonia Kashuk Powder Brush (black contour handle) -or- bare Escentuals Full Flawless Face Brush

 

to buff out/blend face color - Sonia Kashuk Flat Top Multi-purpose brush (black contour handle)

 

LIPS

Coastal Scents Black Sable Lip Brush - the brush is... ok, but the case is terrible because it won't stay closed

 

Revlon retractable lip brush in "gold" case - great! from the 1960s or 70s - i rarely use it because i don't want to spoil it

post #34 of 254

For Eye Makeup, the brushes i use most

 

eye brow powder ------- e.l.f. Small Angled Brush - this is very hard & stiff, but works ok

eye brow gel cream --- Robert Simmons 785 - 8/0 - artists paint brush

 

EYE SHADOW

bare Escentuals - Contour Shadow Brush

Coastal Scents -- Small Pencil Crease (black hairs)

Coastal Scents -- Synthetic Shadow Brush (wide, two-color hairs)

EcoTools ---------- Bamboo Eye Shadow Brush 2103

MAC ----------------- 286 Duo Fibre (tapered) (eyeshadow) Blending Brush

Sonia Kashuk ---- Bamboo Chic angled contour crease brush (fluffy, has flat top) - i don't have the hang of this brush yet

Sonia Kashuk ---- Bamboo Chic flat shader brush (very short stiff bristles) - i use for patting/pressing on certain powders

 

cake or cream eye liner --- Robert Simmons 785 - 8/0 paint brush - but it's a little too stiff

      (note: i prefer very fine pointed eye liner brushes)

      (note: i dislike bent ferule eye liner brushes - i have one and don't use it)

BE powder eye liner -------- bare Escentuals Double Ended Liner-Shadow Brush

 

eye lashes --------------------- shu uemura Eyelash Curler

eye lashes --------------------- sephora folding Eyelash Comb

 

 

In addition, my purse kit has

 

bare Escentuals - Soft Focus Eyeshadow Brush (retractable)

 

sephora ------------ professionnel Classic Retractable Travel Blush Brush #52 - for face powder/MSFN

post #35 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilinah View Post
I recently purchased a NARS cream blush, Gold Member, and a NARS cream eye shadow,Mousson. I may well have brushes that work for them but i'm not sure. What brushes would people recommend? I'm looking for a light touch with the cream blush so i don't look like Gold Finger.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by erine1881 View Post
For the blush, try the 168 or the 188. For the shadow, the 249 (currently being DCd).

 

Thanks! I'll look into them when i get home tomorrow.

 

I figured the 188 would work, but i tend to wash my brushes only once every week or two, although i do spot clean frequently. I don't wear face makeup every day and even when i wear foundation, i don't always use blush or highlighter. So it would be good for me to have two separate brushes. That way i won't drag cream into a powder cake. Plus the 168 is very pretty.

 

And the 249 is cool, sorta like a mini-concealer brush. I will try to catch one before they all disappear.

post #36 of 254

I may be in the select few in makeup internet world but I don't really care for Sigma brushes. I know MAC is expensive especially if you're paying full price but for the long run its worth it. I purchased my first 224 brush nearly 3 years ago and I wash it, it's like brand new all over. It just falls back into shape. The letters have faded but the hair still feels soft and the blending gets the job done. I just feel some kind way about paying 100+ for a set of brushes that will fall apart in six months to a year of consistent use with consistent washing and cleaning. I'm not hard on my brushes either.

 

My favorite is the 226 it's perfecto for my crease.

post #37 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTT View Post

It does help liquid foundation go on quickly and streak-free, but I found a new HG foundation brush (UD Optical Blurring Brush) so I won't be using this big, whopping paint brush for that again. Like you say though the cut of it is flawless. It's just a great quality brush. I've never tried MSFN. Is that mineral makeup? I don't really use pressed powders and quit the mineral makeup last year due to a suddenly developed allergic reaction to Bare Minerals.

So excited. This thread is going to be great!

Fast and flawless, I was talking about foundation application when using 189. MSFN is a pressed mineral product. Not sure how it compares to the ingredients in something Bare Minerals offers because I tested their foundation out once and it looked horrible on me. I don't follow that brand much.
post #38 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilinah View Post

For Face Makeup, i tend to use

color correcting face primer - i use my fingers, should i apply with a brush? if yes, what brush?

liquid foundation - EcoTools foundation brush 1202 - apply with fingers, then blend and smooth with brush

mineral powder foundation - bare Escentuals Flawless Application Face Brush

creamy concealer - EcoTools concealer brush 1230

pressed face powder - Sonia Kashuk Powder Brush (black contour handle)

loose face powder - Sonia Kashuk Powder Brush (black contour handle) -or- my old Revlon Complexion (paddle) Brush

pressed powder blush - MAC 188 Small Duo Fibre Stippling Brush

MAC Casual Colour Cream blush - MAC 130 Short Duo Fibre Brush

MSF - MAC 188 Small Duo Fibre Stippling Brush

EDSF - MAC 130 Short Duo Fibre Brush

highlighter - MAC 188 Small Duo Fibre Stippling Brush

loose finishing powder - Sonia Kashuk Powder Brush (black contour handle) -or- bare Escentuals Full Flawless Face Brush

to buff out/blend face color - Sonia Kashuk Flat Top Multi-purpose brush (black contour handle)

LIPS
Coastal Scents Black Sable Lip Brush - the brush is... ok, but the case is terrible because it won't stay closed

Revlon retractable lip brush in "gold" case - great! from the 1960s or 70s - i rarely use it because i don't want to spoil it

For the colour corrector, try a synthetic foundation brush. Either the 190, 191, 192 (DCd, if you can find one) or the 193. Fingers are ok, but as with any makeup application, it'll apply more precisely and evenly with a brush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilinah View Post

Thanks! I'll look into them when i get home tomorrow.

I figured the 188 would work, but i tend to wash my brushes only once every week or two, although i do spot clean frequently. I don't wear face makeup every day and even when i wear foundation, i don't always use blush or highlighter. So it would be good for me to have two separate brushes. That way i won't drag cream into a powder cake. Plus the 168 is very pretty.

And the 249 is cool, sorta like a mini-concealer brush. I will try to catch one before they all disappear.

Two of each brush is a nice thing to have if you can. Especially if you're using the same brush for multiple mediums.

I LOVE the 249 for applying cream eye products, especially paint pots. It's great for concealer as well. I just bought 2 more when it was added to the goodbye sections.
post #39 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTT View Post

I've never tried MSFN. Is that mineral makeup? I don't really use pressed powders and quit the mineral makeup last year due to a suddenly developed allergic reaction to Bare Minerals.

Mineralized SkinFinish Natural. It's a pressed mineral powder. Some people use it dry to set their makeup. Others use it on its own, either dry or wet, as a foundation.

As for allergic reaction, seems to me it's a bismuth oxychloride allergy (Bare Minerals foundations contain it). I'm not sure if MSFNs have it or not.

Anyhoo. Topic.

I've only four MAC brushes so far (217, 239, 226 (MAC Me Over), 116). I've got several others saved in my Favourites list that I've been contemplating (231, 187, 138, 208, 168, 227, 219), and I'd like to get at least one more each of the 217 and 239, as they're two of my favourite eye brushes ever. I'm a bit of a brush junkie in general. *nods*
post #40 of 254
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbunney View Post

I may be in the select few in makeup internet world but I don't really care for Sigma brushes. I know MAC is expensive especially if you're paying full price but for the long run its worth it. I purchased my first 224 brush nearly 3 years ago and I wash it, it's like brand new all over. It just falls back into shape. The letters have faded but the hair still feels soft and the blending gets the job done. I just feel some kind way about paying 100+ for a set of brushes that will fall apart in six months to a year of consistent use with consistent washing and cleaning. I'm not hard on my brushes either.

 

My favorite is the 226 it's perfecto for my crease.

You can put a clear nail polish over the mac symbol and letters and it will keep :-)

 

 

a handy trick someone told me at imAts was to add a little olive oil to your shampoo gets foundation out of brushes like a dream!!!!!

post #41 of 254
Thread Starter 

Can anyone pls tell me.....

is the 130 tighter packed than the 187 189?????

 

 

im looking for a stippling concealer brush 

post #42 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellygrrl View Post

Mineralized SkinFinish Natural. It's a pressed mineral powder. Some people use it dry to set their makeup. Others use it on its own, either dry or wet, as a foundation.

As for allergic reaction, seems to me it's a bismuth oxychloride allergy (Bare Minerals foundations contain it). I'm not sure if MSFNs have it or not.

Anyhoo. Topic.

I've only four MAC brushes so far (217, 239, 226 (MAC Me Over), 116). I've got several others saved in my Favourites list that I've been contemplating (231, 187, 138, 208, 168, 227, 219), and I'd like to get at least one more each of the 217 and 239, as they're two of my favourite eye brushes ever. I'm a bit of a brush junkie in general. *nods*

bismuth oxychloride is a common ingredient in everything, mineral and non mineral. It's probably the amount of it in Bare Minerals.
post #43 of 254

Got the 239 brush today and ordered the 224 brush the other day. I'm so going to be getting more MAC brushes!!

post #44 of 254
Thread Starter 

So are sigmas a no go?!?

 

one of my mua teachers had some in her belt tonight....

post #45 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by pemily View Post

So are sigmas a no go?!?

one of my mua teachers had some in her belt tonight....

The "224" I have from them sheds like crazy. The black bristle brushes I have in one of their travel sets does as well. I got these brushes a few years ago and I feel like they have gotten better. I hear less complaints.

If you want to be 100% sure to get a quality brush, MAC is what you want. Sigma is a duplicator. No shade, but looking at the history of sigma with their former "S" numbering system and what their brushes are modeled after...

But then again it's a personal choice/what's in the budget. Sigma's a cheaper way to start.
Edited by sss215 - 2/20/13 at 6:32am
post #46 of 254
My mac 224 sheds a lot too. It feels somewhat scratchy also. It's a recent purchase, only a few weeks old. I was thinking mine was defective!
post #47 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by pemily View Post

Can anyone pls tell me.....
is the 130 tighter packed than the 187 189?????


im looking for a stippling concealer brush 

MUCH denser! yes.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymacaddiction View Post

My mac 224 sheds a lot too. It feels somewhat scratchy also. It's a recent purchase, only a few weeks old. I was thinking mine was defective!

The natural hairs do she'd a lot more than the synthetic hairs. The 224 is also less dense, making the hairs more fragile (they move around a lot more than denser brushes). Less dense brushes tend to be more sensitive to use.
post #48 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by sss215 View Post


That was my first brush too! I got it in 2004 to do my sister's makeup for her prom. Aside from that I just used studio fix powder plus with the sponge or puff it came with. I wasn't into face brushes then, now I can't get enough of them!

My 190 is still in great shape too! All I use it for is primer and moisturizer now.

That is sooooooooooo crazy because I think I got mine in 2004 or 2005 lol...Yes, I still love to use my SFP with the sponge!!! Mine is still in good shape too, but, you can tell its old, I need to get another one! 

post #49 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by sss215 View Post


The "224" I have from them sheds like crazy. The black bristle brushes I have in one of their travel sets does as well. I got these brushes a few years ago and I feel like they have gotten better. I hear less complaints.

If you want to be 100% sure to get a quality brush, MAC is what you want. Sigma is a duplicator. No shade, but looking at the history of sigma with their former "S" numbering system and what their brushes are modeled after...

But then again it's a personal choice/what's in the budget. Sigma's a cheaper way to start.

I have a set of Sigma the old version with the "S" lol...they are okay, I prefer MAC brushes....I want to try Sedona Lace since everybody is raving about them....I need some bedellium tools brushes as well!

post #50 of 254

I never have problems with my MAC brushes and yes they are like brand new after washing! Yes, some of the numbers have rubbed off, but, on Enkore on YT has a great way of sealing the numbers on your brushes by using Perfect Paper Adhesive, which can be purchased at www.usartquest.com and get the matte version. HTH

 

Clear polish is a no-no!

post #51 of 254

To hear that the 224 has been DC'd and the 249 is on the way out.....icon_eek.gif

WAAAAATT!!!!!!!

post #52 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by DILLIGAF View Post

To hear that the 224 has been DC'd and the 249 is on the way out.....icon_eek.gif

WAAAAATT!!!!!!!

The 249 is being discontinued....I didn't see anything about the 224.

post #53 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by pemily View Post
Can anyone pls tell me.....

is the 130 tighter packed than the 187 189?????

 

im looking for a stippling concealer brush 

 

The black hairs on all three brushes are fairly densely packed. One big difference between the 187-188 and the 130 is that the soft white hairs on the 130 are short - only slightly longer than the black ones. So you do get more "access" to the denser hairs for holding and dispensing product.

 

The heads on all three brushes are round - IIRC the head on the 130 is about the same diameter as the 187 (which is larger around than the 188). So unlike most concealer brushes, which are flat, it may not get into every nook and cranny, but it works great with emollient products, so it's worth a try.

 

And, well, it's just great for all sorts of products, such as EDSFs and Casual Colour Creams.

post #54 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by DILLIGAF View Post

To hear that the 224 has been DC'd and the 249 is on the way out.....icon_eek.gif
WAAAAATT!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKESHA1908 View Post

The 249 is being discontinued....I didn't see anything about the 224.

The 249 is being DCd. The 224 is too, but only in Australia apparently. Not in the US.
post #55 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by erine1881 View Post



The 249 is being DCd. The 224 is too, but only in Australia apparently. Not in the US.

Gracias. I still feel a need to get my hands on 2 more 249. It was one of the first MAC brushes I ever bought. Along with the 239, 217 and 224.

post #56 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by DILLIGAF View Post

Gracias. I still feel a need to get my hands on 2 more 249. It was one of the first MAC brushes I ever bought. Along with the 239, 217 and 224.

De nada!

Those are all essential brushes!!!
post #57 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by erine1881 View Post



The 249 is being DCd. The 224 is too, but only in Australia apparently. Not in the US.

I was speaking about the U.S. I don't shop on any other site...But, you know people will get into a frenzy if they hear something is being discontinued and its not. Plus, I checked the goodbye section for U.S.

post #58 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKESHA1908 View Post

I was speaking about the U.S. I don't shop on any other site...But, you know people will get into a frenzy if they hear something is being discontinued and its not. Plus, I checked the goodbye section for U.S.

I know. That reply was to DILLIGAF.
post #59 of 254

Does the 249 work well with powder shadows, too? I picked up the 239 because I heard it was THE essential MAC eye brush to have, but now this 249 is coming up... I want to have my basic brush game on point. My 239 bugs me because of the white bristles. It's new yet looks perma-stained. It's displeasing to my eye.

post #60 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTT View Post

Does the 249 work well with powder shadows, too? I picked up the 239 because I heard it was THE essential MAC eye brush to have, but now this 249 is coming up... I want to have my basic brush game on point. My 239 bugs me because of the white bristles. It's new yet looks perma-stained. It's displeasing to my eye.

It works better with cream products as it's synthetic. The 239 is THE shadow brush. Don't fret over the stains. It happens with all white haired brushes. I have a 217 permanently stained green. I used it for my halloween DOTD run thru a couple years ago. I used it with the landscape green chromacake. It's now stained a lovely shade of light green lol.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: MAC Chat
Specktra › Welcome to the Specktra Community! › MAC Chat › MAC BRUSHES (GENERAL DISCUSSION)