or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Working for Sephora - Page 11

post #301 of 668

Re: Working for Sephora

That's what it sounds like! As you can probably tell, I SO want the position!
post #302 of 668

Re: Working for Sephora

I'm interested in working seasonal for Christmas to make some extra cash on the side. Does anyone here have any experiences with this? What positions do they hire for? I would like to work cash or even something in the back like stocking or receiving. Is it worth picking this up as a side job? I already work full time but wouldn't mind putting in some part-time hours at night or even working weekends. Do seasonal employees get a discount or anything as well?
post #303 of 668

Re: Working for Sephora

I don't know if there's any difference in the discounts for seasonal employees, but if you're interested in working for Sephora for the holiday season, definitely put in an application it sounded like they start accepting them at mine around October. There are four different places you can work at... casah-wrap, fragrances, color (make up) and skin care. Seems like you can switch, depending on where they need you, though. I've also seen people stocking things that don't seem to out on the floor talking to customers. But definitely go in and ask about if/when they'll be hiring. If it were me, I would try to ask a manager, because one of the employees was ringing me up the other day, and she didn't even know they were hiring. I asked her about how many people they needed, and she was like, "I think we'll be hiring for the holiday season, but we don't need any more people right now." Then in the interview, the manager said that they needed six people right away, and then they'll be expanding the store, so they'll need even more. THEN, for the holiday season they'll need a few extra people as well... so the regular employees might not always have their facts straight no offense to those who are Sephora employees... it's a big, busy store. I'm sure there's a lot going on and not always time to announce every little thing to everybody.
post #304 of 668

Re: Working for Sephora

I got the job
post #305 of 668

Re: Working for Sephora

sdfghjkl


Edited by barishnya - 8/8/13 at 4:15pm
post #306 of 668

Re: Working for Sephora

Quote:
Originally Posted by barishnya View Post
So, i read the first six pages but did not read the rest, so forgive me if i missed something. I am thinking of applying to Sephora, not sure quite yet. Im coming from a background of a year+ at a bookstore working as customer service and sales and was offered the opportunity to become a manager but couldnt do it and i intern at a law office as well. Thats about it for my work history for a variety of reasons. I have no professional makeup experience however have been doing full makeup on myself for years, meaning concealer, foundation, eyeshadow, mascara, liner, brows, lipstick/gloss and i always get compliments on how it looks, so im confident in my application skills. The only problem is, i do not use higher end cosmetic lines, i make do with drug store brands. I do watch make up tutorials on a semi regular basis and am aware of many lines sephora carries. I have no tattoos, no excessive piercings, shortish hair that is non dyed, so look wise id probably fit in. Im just not sure what position i should aim for, just stage member or specialist? Im in total need of guidance and appreciate any input you can give me based on the info i provided. I would ultimately love to do as much makeup application as possible, which is where my question about the different positions come from.

Also, because im a college student, i can work pretty limited hours, mostly evenings and weekends, i dont know if that would be a big issue or not, but i do need a flexible schedule. Can anyone shed light on that? How accommodating is sephora with students?
In terms of availability it will depend on the needs of the store. If you are working part time they may be more willing to work with you on that. As long as you have weekends they will probably be ok with working around the rest of it. I don't know if it was just my store or all stores, but my store director when I worked there was anti -student. I didn't mention it during my interviews and my store director was not pleased when she found out later.

Because you are a student and have limited availability, I would shoot to be a color consultant since you want to do make up. Some stores make you start as a cashier though. It just depends. I didn't have any related experience when i started there either, so focus on sales experience and forth.
post #307 of 668

Working at Sephora during the holidays...

I applied for a holiday position at my local Sephora. I've read all of the threads on here talking about interviews at Sephora and I was just wondering if I can expect anything different for an interview for a holdiay position. I was mainly wondering if they still do a group interview because the Hiring Director asked me to come in on a Monday or Tuesday (and I would think most group interviews would probably take place on the weekend). Any help is greatly appreciated...I'm super excited and super nervous.
post #308 of 668

Stay freelancing or work for Sephora?

So I freelance for a couple companies, which I love! It is nice to be at Neimans, Nordstroms, Saks, Ulta and Sephora. I was with MAC for 5 yrs but left because a ton of things changed.

 

I work 3 days a week at a job where I am not using any of my skill or get any fulfillment. But they best part is I get my weekends off, so I can freelance for companies or do weddings, photoshoots. etc.

 

I have been thinking about getting a job to just make sure I get steady income and still freelance, so i applied at Sephora hoping if I just do recovery I can still freelance for those companies. They said I couldn't. Then we started talking a pt perm position on the sales floor.

 

I am very intrigued. They said I was asking a high price range but she would talk to her boss and see what see can do. They have similar feelings on work/life balance and I can have sat off if I need to do a wedding. They seem flexible.

 

Freelancing at all these stores made me realize that if ever went back into retail cosmetics I would work at Ulta or Sephora. The environment is chill, not crazy goal pressure, creatvie people and tons of education and tons of gratis!

 

I want to learn more brands that are just as good as MAC. I want variety.

 

But I would miss out on my freelancing which is almost every weekend and great money! And I wouldn't have all weekends open for my business (my makeup business, weddings)

 

So should I just work at Sephora and leave freelancing, all my connections. (Today the Account Exe said i was her #1 girl to ask for all freelancing jobs). Freelancing is so fun and easy and no pressure.

 

Or try and find a new job that allows me to have weekends off and still freelance.

 

Although I would always wonder about the training of Sephora. I do miss being around creative people! That was the best part of MAC was meeting so many wonderful friends! Now I am stuck with 3 people and it is easy to run out of things to talk about, even though they are nice.

 

I just really love freelancing and don't want to give it up.

 

Another thing. I currently work Tues/Wed/Thurs and I have time for my son, but with freelancing I am starting to work most weekends, but might still have a fri/sun off. With a reatil job I might work most weekends unless I request it off. So I am not sure which is better, working most weekends or working most and requesting one off.

 

When I figure out the pay it seems to even out. Freelancing might be a little more some months or a little less. and this pt perm position might bein the middle of those two because it is a 24-30 hr position.

 

What would you do?

post #309 of 668

Hi there!  I don't know if I'm in the right place or not, but I just joined this forum today because I'm doing as much research as I possiboy can before I start.  I was just offered a job at Sephora the other day and I begin training on Oct 31st!!  It was originally for seasonal cashier, but due to my cosmetic experience and esthetics license, they want me as a 'cast member' instead and plan to keep me on after the holidays.  But my question is, this is a part time job for me, nights and weekends.  I have a regular FT job. Does anyone know if I will receive al the same training and information as all the regular full timers get??  I know most of the lines in there anyway just from personal experience, but because I'm going to be part time, I didn't know if that meant I wouldn't get all the same training, information, gratis, etc as all the other employees.  Researching the net, I'm getting a LOT of different answers.  Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks!!!

post #310 of 668

Hi! I also just accepted a job at Sephora and I'm so excited.  I have to go for orientation next week.  Can anyone tell me what to expect?  As far as the job itself, I have the same questions as lel80 above my post.  I was also told I would be eligible for quarterly and monthly bonus.  I'm sure we can't give a dollar amount and I would guess that's individual to each store but are they something to be excited about or basically token bonus. I will working part time cashwrap if that helps.  TIA!!

 

post #311 of 668
Omg I am so excited my second interview is today it's like 4 in the morning I can't sleep cuz I'm soo excited I really hope to get this job its seriously my dream to work at Sephora can anybody tell me whether they do background checks? What are their policies on background checks? Plz thank u
post #312 of 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by srex89 View Post

Omg I am so excited my second interview is today it's like 4 in the morning I can't sleep cuz I'm soo excited I really hope to get this job its seriously my dream to work at Sephora can anybody tell me whether they do background checks? What are their policies on background checks? Plz thank u


 Srex89, I believe they do a background check. I think I remember filling out the information page for one when I filled out my application a few months ago. A lot of retail places do background checks on potential employees now-adays.

post #313 of 668

I got the job!!!! I'm so excited!!!  It's just a part-time position for the holidays, but I'll do my best to answer any new questions anyone has after I start.

post #314 of 668

Hey Everyone!!! I really want to work at Sephora!! I'm currently working at a SDM in Toronto. I know its probably a bad time of year to go apply to Sephora ( January). But I have A LOT of experience with makeup, skincare, customer service ( 5+ years), and even fragrance. Do you think they might consider hiring me because of a good resume or should I wait until another time during this year? I really want this job, I don't even actually consider it a job, I'd work for free!!!  

 

Any feedback would be appreciated , Thanks :)

post #315 of 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraMUA View Post

Hey Everyone!!! I really want to work at Sephora!! I'm currently working at a SDM in Toronto. I know its probably a bad time of year to go apply to Sephora ( January). But I have A LOT of experience with makeup, skincare, customer service ( 5+ years), and even fragrance. Do you think they might consider hiring me because of a good resume or should I wait until another time during this year? I really want this job, I don't even actually consider it a job, I'd work for free!!!  

 

Any feedback would be appreciated , Thanks :)


I would recommend that you go ahead and fill out an application and give them your resume. Usually this is a time of year when there aren't many new hires, but you never know something could open up. And with your experience it sounds like you'd be an excellent candidate for the job.peace2.gif

post #316 of 668

So they are finally putting a Sephora in my area, well it's actually going to be a SiJCP, but still a Sephora non the less :) I saw a job posting online that said immediate, and for management. I have 4 years retail experience over 3 of which are as a co-manager. I applied a few days ago, and haven't heard anything back. Since it's a new store, and it isn't listed on the Sephora website, or the JCP website for that matter should I assume it's going to take a bit to hear something back? Is there anyone I can get in contact with to make sure my application is looked at? I have no experience with selling makeup, but i'm an addict so i'm confident on my product knowledge. I really would love a chance to interview, i'm getting anxious cause i'm impatient, haha! With newer stores like this does it take awhile to hear from anyone?

post #317 of 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssa18o6 View Post

So they are finally putting a Sephora in my area, well it's actually going to be a SiJCP, but still a Sephora non the less :) I saw a job posting online that said immediate, and for management. I have 4 years retail experience over 3 of which are as a co-manager. I applied a few days ago, and haven't heard anything back. Since it's a new store, and it isn't listed on the Sephora website, or the JCP website for that matter should I assume it's going to take a bit to hear something back? Is there anyone I can get in contact with to make sure my application is looked at? I have no experience with selling makeup, but i'm an addict so i'm confident on my product knowledge. I really would love a chance to interview, i'm getting anxious cause i'm impatient, haha! With newer stores like this does it take awhile to hear from anyone?

I think a good first follow-up step would be to contact someone in JCPenny HR. If they aren't the ones doing the actual hiring (could be Sephora regional or district directors) they will be the ones making sure the applications and resumes get forwarded. They should be able to let you know the correct person to contact regarding follow up. Good luck! Let me know if you have other questions and I'll do my best answer them for you.bouquet.gif
 

 

post #318 of 668


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nychick1384 View Post



I think a good first follow-up step would be to contact someone in JCPenny HR. If they aren't the ones doing the actual hiring (could be Sephora regional or district directors) they will be the ones making sure the applications and resumes get forwarded. They should be able to let you know the correct person to contact regarding follow up. Good luck! Let me know if you have other questions and I'll do my best answer them for you.bouquet.gif
 

 


 I called the JcPenney corporate HR number I found on their site Friday afternoon and no one returned my call. I've applied to JcPenney in the past and they've never called me for an interview, yet I know people who have had no experience get a call within a day and get hired on the spot. Very discouraging! I normally wouldn't care but working for Sephora is a dream job for me, and i'll be crushed if I don't receive a call for an interview! Should I call the JcPenney's by me? I hate calling and bugging them, it gets annoying getting like 10 calls a day asking for status of applications, I get upset when I deal with it all day so I feel horrible calling but i'm frustrated!

 

post #319 of 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssa18o6 View Post


 


 I called the JcPenney corporate HR number I found on their site Friday afternoon and no one returned my call. I've applied to JcPenney in the past and they've never called me for an interview, yet I know people who have had no experience get a call within a day and get hired on the spot. Very discouraging! I normally wouldn't care but working for Sephora is a dream job for me, and i'll be crushed if I don't receive a call for an interview! Should I call the JcPenney's by me? I hate calling and bugging them, it gets annoying getting like 10 calls a day asking for status of applications, I get upset when I deal with it all day so I feel horrible calling but i'm frustrated!

 


 

I would recommend calling the HR department of whichever JCPenny store you applied to. Waiting about a week to call after you've first applied is a good waiting time. After that it's really up to you how often you call, but I don't think I'd recommend calling more than once a day. If you have trouble getting anyone from HR to return your phone call, it might be a good idea to stop by one day and see if you can speak with someone face-to-face and get some of your questions answered.

post #320 of 668

I had a question for all the people who either have gone thru the interview process or actually got hired..

 

I applied to Sephora. I called to check on the status of my app.

I gave her my name, then she said she was waiting for my refs to get back to them (Sephora) then she would call me for an interview?huh2.gif

 

That makes no sense to me..

 

Can some1 please shed some light on this?

 

IDK if I should call back again and ask my status?shrugs.gif

post #321 of 668

i guess not th_dunno.gif

post #322 of 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali1luv View Post

I had a question for all the people who either have gone thru the interview process or actually got hired..

 

I applied to Sephora. I called to check on the status of my app.

I gave her my name, then she said she was waiting for my refs to get back to them (Sephora) then she would call me for an interview?huh2.gif

 

That makes no sense to me..

 

Can some1 please shed some light on this?

 

IDK if I should call back again and ask my status?shrugs.gif


Sometimes potential employers will call your references before scheduling an interview. They may just want to see what your references are from previous employers before they schedule an interview with you. Different managers go through the interview process in a different order, it's not the same everywhere. I would give the store about a week before you follow up again. Give the manager time to hear back from your previous employers. 

 

post #323 of 668

If your a freelancer for M.A.C., can you work for Sephora?

post #324 of 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11o2-MAi View Post

If your a freelancer for M.A.C., can you work for Sephora?



I don't believe you can. I think working at any other place that sells cosmetics would constitute a conflict of interest.

post #325 of 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11o2-MAi View Post

If your a freelancer for M.A.C., can you work for Sephora?



Doubt it as they're both competition

post #326 of 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11o2-MAi View Post

If your a freelancer for M.A.C., can you work for Sephora?


Nope. Sephora has pretty explicit policies about not working for any other cosmetics company while you work for them. That even includes things like doing events for a brand (for example, Nars) at another store. 

 

That said, I know a few girls who took their chances and did this anyway. As long as they don't get caught, I guess the risk of being fired is worth it for them.

post #327 of 668

I have an interview with Sephora and am not sure what their policy is on tattoos, unnatural hair colors, or piercings.  I have a very extensive resume in cosmetic sales, but am currently a full-time student working towards finishing an art degree.  I also know several of their employees already (former co-workers from other cosmetics jobs) and am sure I got a fast reply to my applications because of that.  I currently have pink streaks in my dark hair and want to know  if I need to dye them a natural color for my interview on Monday.  Thanks in advance!

post #328 of 668

I wouldnt consider dying it unless you get the job and they specifically tell you to. I know VintageOrTacky from YT worked at sephora and she has hot pink/black hair. 

post #329 of 668

@nychick1384 Hey hun. I was wondering if you still work at Sephora and what info you might be able to share. I've been asking on other forums & have gotten nothing so far. I've been reading that if you work p/t or at the cash wrap that you don't get the discount and/or gratis? Could you clear that up for me? I'll be bummed if that's the case but I also plan on working my way to color eventually so I'm not too worried about, just curious. My training doesn't start for a few weeks and I have so many questions :-/ Any tips or insight you can offer would be greatly appreciated! Oh also how do they do shifts? Is it typically like 4 or 5 hour shifts or do they do full on 8 hr shifts? :o) Thanks so much!

post #330 of 668

You get the discount regardless of where you work, but gratis is sometimes dependent on whether you participate in trainings - which as a cashier you might have less opportunity for. (There are some companies that will give gratis to the entire cast, usually as a seasonal thing, while others will only do so if you do the training.)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Working for Cosmetics Retailers