217, 222, 224

glam8babe

ive got the 217 and i find it useful for MANY things.
- Blending colours
- applying colour into the crease
- Highlighting the brow bone
- applying light soft colours in the tear tuct area (without fall out)
- applying concealer around the eye area lightly but still good coverage

Leilani78

Quote:
Originally Posted by VioletB
I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE each brush and I will tell you why.

Then I had an epiphony. (sp?) I started holding my brushes down towards the end of the brush rather then upfront (kind of like a pencil.) Holy cow it made such a difference!! It's not like your smushing the brush into your eye when you hold it with a little lighter hand. Now I love the 224 and the 223 especially for creases. I still find that I'd like a little more grip on my 217, so I hold it a little closer to the brush end of it.. but maybe I sound weird but I think it really makes a difference how you hold the brush. I love the 224 for soft crease looks using windshield-wiper motions.

I recently learned the same thing too with my 224! If I held it more towards the end, then I wouldn't have one big mess all over my eyes. This trick definitely made me fall in love with my 224 all over again.

matsubie

after reading this thread, i feel like i should try out the 217...i've been lemming for this brush for a while...hmmmm..

with that being said, i LOVE my 222 and 224. i use my 224 a bit more, though.

gracetre123

well I only have the 217 and I love it!! it´s a must for me...but I will love to try the 224 and see what happend....

Debbie

Have you looked into the 223 brush? It's a limited brush, but I find that it definitely helps blend my outer edges without ridding the color (which I find the 217 does sometimes).

But if I were limited between those three, I'd say the 224 brush. I rarely use my 217. 222 I don't have so I can't say.

BrownEy3d

MAC 222 or 224; Which may be right for me?

I've been on a brush kick lately and since I'm still a newbie when it comes to eye makeup, I decided I want a brush that would help me achieve almost any look I wanted, whether natural and subtle or dramatic and sultry. I currently have the 217, 239, 219 and the 242. I know the 217 is multipurpose and can blend, but I'm thinking I may want a brush completely separate for blending.

I originally wanted the 224 because I heard such raves about it but when I went to the store it was sold out. The mua said: "it's a great brush, you'll be very happy with it" and as I was leaving to check another store, she quickly added: "do me a favor a take a look at the 222 as well, it's very nice..." and then I left. I've been researching the 222 and 224 for the past two days and I'm torn. Both are supposed to be for blending, but the 222 is smaller and better for applying crease colors whereas the 224 is big and splays out and is good for blending crease colors and for applying a light wash over the entire eye area.

My eyes aren't huge but they're definitely not small. I want something that would blend seamlessly and take away the effort since Im still trying to learn how to blend. Which would be a better choice for me?

Funtabulous

Re: MAC 222 or 224; Which may be right for me?

Personally, I love both, but I have a special place in my heart for the 222. I find it does a good job of applying crease color and blending it out all in one, for a line that is fairly well defined but soft (if that makes sense). For quick and easy eyes that's my #1 (and all in one) crease brush.

Chrystia

For blending, I prefer the 224. The 222 is a great brush and helps with blending too in the crease area, however I feel the 224 is more versatile. I use the 224 to blend on the crease, the lids, above the crease, and as a highlighter. Also since you have a 217 and 219, I think you have brushes that can do smaller area work in place of the 222.

sweetkitty

224 is fluffier, 222 is more precise and has white goat hair and more thin and tapered, which I prefer.

Penn

The 224 is great for blending as it's very soft. I use this when I want a softer look. For applying shadow and more precision though I find the 217 is best for this. If you have small lids I think the 217 or 222 would be best.
When I was just getting into make up I got the 224 but since I was still new to make up I found the 224 a little difficult to use, the 217 gave me more control

Funtabulous

I cannot say enough about the 222. I think you should get that one. It's perfect for what you describe. Honestly I find the 217 very overrated! The 224 is too big for your needs and the 217 is too stiff. The 222 is just about the right size and blends softly.

shontay07108

Blending? 217. I own two. It works miracles, I tell 'ya.

I only use the 224 to apply shadow b/c I have a lot of space between my crease and brow. It makes application quicker b/c it's a larger brush, but the 217 helps to blend it with my lid color. The 222 is ok, but I prefer the 217.

jillianadriana

Question about blending brushes

Hi lovelies!

Can someone please explain or possible show me the differences between MAC's 217, 222, and 224 brushes?

Mabelle

Re: Question about blending brushes

217 is everyones must have. great for picking up a decent amount of colour. great for blending. i use the to lay a good amount of colour on in the crease, to lay on a nice wash of my highlight, or to blend two fairly stong colours together ie to bridge the gap between blue and green or ever to work my highlight down into my crease colour

the 224 is a lot flufflier. i would use this for putting on a light application of colour, ie to give a nice light wash over the lid, or for very difused colour in the crease brow bone area. this is great for the difused look... i wouldnt ness. use it to blend with no product on it, as i feel its not firmly packed enough to push the colour around on its own.

honestly my fav is prob the 224.

lazytolove

Re: Question about blending brushes

^ totally agree

217 is the universal. I have 222 and rarely use it. 217 is definitely a must have.