Acne and the Pill...dun dun duuun

TDoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahk816
I had the EXACT same problem with Loestrin 24! Every month I would get the painful under the skin embarassing zits. I thought I was going crazy, and my doctor even said it couldn't have been the loestrin because birth control is supposed to clear up your skin. But I've recently switched pills and my skin has been clear for the last couple months! I'm glad to read that I wasn't the only one!

Yeah, sounds like what I had! My doctor said the reason that lower-estrogen pills cause acne is because of the increased male hormones they contain which can directly cause acne.

A little update:
I went off LoEstrin, took the first YAZ in my pack about a week ago, and then right after taking it, found some disturbing info on YAZ and blood clots. Ok, so we all know that all bc pills/ring/patch/whatever have the risk of that. I've always known that. But something in YAZ makes it even more likely to happen than the others. I was kind of concerned to take this because it is so new...my insurance had not even began to cover it because it hasn't been around that long. But I thought whatever....if it works, I'll pay for it. Well I did some research and found out some disturbing things about it. I don't want to go into detail because it was kind of disturbing, but whatever. There's actually a class action lawsuit forming for the stuff! Anyway, I called my doctor and we talked about it. She told me that it was a good decision for me to go off of the pill for a while and see what happens. Of course, now hubby and I are going to have to be much more careful, but I'm just happy to not be putting those fake hormones into my body anymore! It's only been a week, but my mind is telling me I'm feeling better and better each day! Even if it's only in my head since it's so soon! lol. But my acne around my chin has pretty much gone away. It gets better and better each day too. SO I'm excited!

TUPRNUT

I've been on Loestrin 24 for 4 months and have had suspicion that it's causing me to break-out. My breakouts are totally different than I've had... all around the chin & mouth area, really red, and very painful.

I can't even count the # of b/c pills I've been on in the past 5 years. It's crazy and I'm so frustrated that I can't find one that fits me.... I either bleed too much, have anxiety problems, have zero sex drive, have 2 week periods, or now...acne. I'm so frustrated and am almost to the point of telling my husband it's condom time. I can't take it anymore.

TDoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUPRNUT
I've been on Loestrin 24 for 4 months and have had suspicion that it's causing me to break-out. My breakouts are totally different than I've had... all around the chin & mouth area, really red, and very painful.

I can't even count the # of b/c pills I've been on in the past 5 years. It's crazy and I'm so frustrated that I can't find one that fits me.... I either bleed too much, have anxiety problems, have zero sex drive, have 2 week periods, or now...acne. I'm so frustrated and am almost to the point of telling my husband it's condom time. I can't take it anymore.

That sounds exactly like what I had. I feel your frustration...

So it's been about a month off the pill. I haven't started my period yet, but I feel somewhat better. My face has cleared up for the most part. I'm still getting one or two of those painful blemishes around my chin area every now and then, but I'm convinced that it's the rest of those hormones getting out of my body. MUCH better than the like 7 or 8 at one time. No fun.

Emotionally, I feel "lighter"...lol....I dunno how else to describe it. I feel good. I'm feeling MUCH better in the sex drive department. Everything seems to be working out off the pill...I just hope that my period starts on time and that it doesn't take months to even out. I'm feeling like I could start any day now. Today is my 28th day of my cycle, so it should be coming. I had some cramping today, so maybe it'll come tomorrow. I had SUCH irregular periods before starting the pill, so hopefully my body has changed some in that department over the last 8 years.

cetati

ortho tro ciclen lo was actually acne-clearing for me. I do get nausea sometimes but compared to the awful periods I was having before where I would black out all the time and not be able to go to class... this is a good trade off since I no longer get cramps to the degree I was before. Also I was a heavy cystic acne sufferer before and it cleared my skin right up so I'm staying with this stuff.
smiles.gif

TDoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by cetati
ortho tro ciclen lo was actually acne-clearing for me. I do get nausea sometimes but compared to the awful periods I was having before where I would black out all the time and not be able to go to class... this is a good trade off since I no longer get cramps to the degree I was before. Also I was a heavy cystic acne sufferer before and it cleared my skin right up so I'm staying with this stuff.
smiles.gif

Yeah, it was for me too. I never had any acne or breakouts on this stuff. I was on it for 5 years. The nausea was bearable, but I had awful anxiety and panic attacks while taking it. When I switched pills to LoEstrin, I had no anxiety or panic attacks since, but it was the acne and sex drive issues that drove me to quit taking it.

I feel like my body is finally getting back to normal!
smiles.gif
And my acne has cleared up! Of course, it wasn't severe...just around my chin, but annoying nonetheless.

kittykit

When I was on the pills, I was breaking out like crazy. My doctor prescribed me mini pills and that helped to clear up the acne. But after a while, I stopped taking pills completely.

munchkin78

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDoll
I started Proactiv when I was 18 and have been loyal since, and have had really really clear skin.

Hi,

I was on Proactiv for atleast 6-7 yrs and one day it just stopped working. I started getting huge painful zits all over my chin and cheeks (nothing like I'd seen before). I tried everything and nothing would aleviate the problem. I finally had to go to the dermatologist and it turns out I ended up with cystic acne!
ssad.gif
I had to go on medication for 6-9 months and multiple derm visits to clear up my skin.

My bestfriend was also on Proactiv for atleast 10 yrs and the same thing suddenly happened to her and she knows of other people that have gone thru the same thing. She ended up with cystic acne and had to go on meds as well.

I know this doesn't answer your pill question but there might be a link to long term use of Proactiv and it causing major breakouts later on. Just figured I'd throw it out there.

jaysgirl

BC is such a love/hate relationship for me. I've been on it for about 6 years. It seems like every one that I've tried has cleared up the acne temporarily and then it flairs again and they're the painful kind. I guess I'll have to keep looking into different kinds. Glad to hear that you're skin problems are clearing up now that you've stopped taking the pill.