Any reason why my MAC store has decided to blare music 'club style'?

Funtabulous

Seriously, it's ridiculous. I went to my MAC store the other day and I could barely think or orient myself. I had wanted to do some shopping but instead I wandered up to the counter in a haze and asked for a couple quads, and left.

What is this about? How can anyone shop like that? Even today I was looking for a lipstick and gave them a call to see if they had it, and I could barely hear the woman on the phone, the music was so loud!

The MAC counter at the same mall had the music this way too! My other counters are fine, just soft, background music.

I don't know about you, but when I go shopping, I do a lot of strategical thinking, remembering what I have, thinking of product combinations and looks, figuring out uses for things, thinking of what I might need and how it goes with the items I have (and I have a lot), going through a mental list of what I wanted to look at, etc. I simply cannot do this when I am distracted like that.

I mean, really, I don't want to sound like an old person, but it's not a dance club. There is a time and place for that sort of thing.

Is it just me? I know I am sort of an introverted person, but come on. Anyone else notice this, or have a problem with it?

rockin

I've never been inside a MAC store or at a MAC counter, as there are none anywhere near me (think I'd be like a kid in a sweet shop if I got inside a MAC store lol), but certainly loud music would make it difficult for me to stay in a shop for any length of time and, as you say, it does interfere with your thought processes, making it impossible to hear yourself think.

I much prefer somewhere where there is just quiet background music, or no music at all,

Maybe MAC is trying to portray a 'young, trendy' image by playing loud music, but it could put a lot of more mature customers off.

n_c

Yes, same thing at the mac counters/stores I visit. They can certainly lower the volume and things would be just fine.

paparazziboy

mine isnt to loud at the mac counter i work at we cant have it load at all so its just in the background. i hate walking by abercrombie cause it like a club in there lol

slick

i can think of one freestanding store that i have been to where the music was absolutely overwhelming. least to say i did NOT stay long. my local stores are more bearable however. i've never asked them to turn it down, but i hope that they would be willing to accomodate such a request.

Nepenthe

It's supposed to be loud, but you should still be able to converse with the MA's or whoever you're shopping with.

bellaboomboom

mine isnt to loud at the mac counter i work at we cant have it load at all so its just in the background. i hate walking by abercrombie cause it like a club in there lol

So true. My niece wanted to go shopping at this store for her birthday and I could not stand it. What a headache!

rockin

It's supposed to be loud, but you should still be able to converse with the MA's or whoever you're shopping with.

But why? Why should it be loud? It's one of the things that can really put people off of visiting a store.

nychick1384

I like the music loud enough to hear, sometimes it makes it a little fun. But I absolutely cannot stand it when the music is so loud that I have to shout at someone so they can hear me...and they're standing right next to me!
WTF2.gif

LMD84

i get that places want to create an atmosphere with music but if it's too loud to concerntrate then that is not good at all :(

erine1881

If you only knew how many people complained the other way.

during the week we have ours on a normal level, but when a good song comes on, we turn it up. during the weekends, however, we have it louder for a more fun, crazy time. we sing and dance all the time, but never is the music too loud that it annoys customers. our customers actually like the music loud and they join in on the fun. its the macys customers that don't like it as much. thankfully the macy's manager loves it loud. he'll even tell us to turn it up!

L281173

MAC tends to aim toward the younger market. I live in New York. I go to the MAC store and you will hear tons of hip hop, R&B, and soul music playing. They want the trendy atmosphere to attract the upbeat crowd. Notice up MAC's makeup shades are much more wilder than other lines.
cheerleader.gif

erine1881

MAC tends to aim toward the younger market. I live in New York. I go to the MAC store and you will hear tons of hip hop, R&B, and soul music playing. They want the trendy atmosphere to attract the upbeat crowd. Notice up MAC's makeup shades are much more wilder than other lines.
cheerleader.gif
i have to disagree with you on this one. mac doesn't aim toward the younger market. mac aims towards all ages. sure mac has wild colours (for the younger, funkier market), but there are also plenty of neutrals and mattes (for the more mature age group). there's something for every age group.

mac actually sends the music that is played, which consists of many different channels and programs with all sorts of music. my counter listens to the pop channel cuz we're all in our 20's and listen to that kind of stuff outside of work as well. we're allowed to pick the channel we want to listen to. this past spring one of the channels had johnny cash, which is far from "trendy". and its all about taste too. we have middle age woman ask us for the names of the artist/song that's playing. stuff i listen too!

Funtabulous

Eh, well in my personal opinion I don't exactly want to sing and dance at my MAC store. I just want to do some shopping! I find it very calming and relaxing usually, and I like spending the time to think about what I am getting and how I can use it in different ways. Also, can you be sure it doesn't annoy customers? I'd imagine the type of customer it would annoy wouldn't be likely to say anything, and just leave/make their visit brief.

Thanks for the replies, everyone! I feel good to know I am not alone. I actually expected more people to say it was just 'fun'. I know that sort of thing is fun to many people, and I like to dance and listen to loud music too, but just not while I am shopping.

spookafeller

my MAC counter (at Nordie's) sometimes blares and sometimes is much more restrained. i think it has to do with the staff present at that time. the neighboring NARS and Chanel counters seem to be gritting their subdued teeth at times :-(

Paint&Ink Chick

cheerleader.gif
I agree, I like the music. But at my Mac counter in the Macy's it's not that loud & sometimes I take my lil' one & she likes to dance lol and I take the Ma's enjoy her:)

dahlingdiva

I think Hot Topic is even louder. Talk about not being able to concentrate.
But what do I expect when I go into Hot Topic. Top 40 and easy listening?
I know what I'm going to get when I go in there.
Sometimes it's like screamo music. That cuts the shopping trip quik. haha.

Chrystia

I think the volume is dependent on the location. I used to work in a freestanding location and the manager played the music quite loudly. However the counter I am at now isn't nearly so loud although sometimes it gets turned up and I turn it down. lol. I prefer the music to be a little bit louder than normal, but not so loud that I have to strain to hear customers.