Anybody out there have PCOS?

ThePowderPuff

Thanks. I am going to talk to my doctor about Metformin next time I see her; I am very keen on trying it.
Birth control pills made me crazy too ;) so I am glad to hear they aren't necessary!

Right now my main focus is improving my diet. Are there any books you would recommend on the subject? I'd like to pick one up today and show some people in my life to help them understand my needs. Is it low carb, low GI, or both? Right now I am about to eat a bowl of whole grain oats with wheat bran and flaxseed with a generous amount of cinnamon and berries. How is that?

Thanks again, you are a great help! :)

That's very bad. No oat or wheat in any way. Not even whole grain. No rice, no potatoe and no starch at all. The only grain sorts allowed are rye and barley. You want to look at low GI diets. I only know danish books on the subject, so that won't help you much.

I wish you all the luck, let me know if you have more questions.

Ev74

I have been diagnosed for 6 years with PCOS. I can say right off that I didnt take any kind of BControl before I was 26 and it took about 6 years to get pregnant. I had cystic acne, major bouts with weight gain, lots of problems with facial and body hair.. the whole gammit. I took Metformin for 3 years and it made me realize that.. life is TOO SHORT. I was sick, had chronic fatigue, low libido, couldnt keep my mind together, suffered with depression during that time. I did lose a significant amount of weight.. but my blood levels didnt change.

I have EXTREMELY worked out since I was 18.. and no i have not been thin without very extreme dieting measures. I have been thin a few times in my life, the first of which was anorexia and I stopped having a cycle completely for 2 years. The next was the Metformin incident.. and I had to do my regular 2 1/2 hr workout each day, plus eat less than 1200 calories, the third is the IDeal Protein diet and it didnt last.

As PCOS women.. we need more protein and almost no carbs (except fibrous).. Carbs = glucose and that means borderline diabetic or worse for us.Its better for you to eat an ideal diet of protein, but not a great amount of fat and almost no natural sugars... Any carbs should be largely fibrous after 2 p.m. If you must eat starchy or sugar carbs, they should only be in the morning, when your body is working full steam. The lucky thing about PCOS is the higher Testosterone levels.. which means you gain muscle mass (at a rate unlike regular women) and you will burn fat that way if you do weight training. I do about 1 hour of weights and 1 hr cardio and 30 minutes of ab workout everyday. And yet Im still overweight.. So its an uphill battle. But I feel good and isnt that what life is about?

I take no meds from the doctor anymore, because the side effects are BAD for me.. I take CinnedromeX (supplement), UltraglycemX, and do Supergreens. That keeps my levels in the clear and I can function and do my active job, and be happy.

I have to tell you PCOS ladies trying to have children.. I didnt know when I had my daughter that most women with PCOS have "unhealthy children".. I found this out about 6 years ago when my daughter was going through her struggles.. We dont have the happy balance internally that will produce us with healthy children.. so think about how badly you want children and what you need children for.. they are the ones who truly struggle and suffer.. No judgement on my part.. but my daughter has had every issue in 11 year you can dream of.. and I will not be having anymore do to this. My daughter has been plagued with everything from signs of CF, sleep apnea, major food and atmospheric allergies, multiple breathing disorders and illnesses to Arthiritis, muscle disorders, bone maladies.. and had had many surgeries to boot.. I hear from MANY women in the PCOS realm that this is very common... Plus she has Learning Disabilities, and educational issues as well... I wish someone had told ME.. so here I am telling you! If our bodies cant keep US healthy.. why do we expect them to do honor to children we would carry??

My mother passed away in November at 58 from PCOS complications.. I definitely heed that as a warning about caring for myself..

HeatherNicole

Hey Hey,

Its been awhile since I've been on specktra. So I wanted to update my pcos status.
I've lost about 26lbs since getting back on metformin, eating right, and exercising since December 30.
Enjoy and be encouraged :)

Jan. 15lbs down

March - 26lbs down

Keep going lovies!

Funtabulous

Wow great job Heather Nicole, you should be proud!

So... as for myself, I saw an endocrinologist. My periods are still between 5 and 6 weeks apart... and my hormones were all normal except for DHEAS... which was outside of the normal range and roughly twice as high as the average. I haven't seen her since and she didn't diagnose me with anything, but I did see my regular doctor and he didn't recommend any medication for me, as he seems rather anti-medication in general (which I like). He told me to get regular vigorous exercise and to eat more vegetables and protein. So, all in all, not much really came from that (except for me joining a gym a few days later).

From what I've read DHEAS seems to be responsible for excess oil... and my levels finally explain why my skin is so INSANE when it comes to oil production. Do any of you ladies know anything about elevated DHEAS levels, and have any of you had it too?

As for energy levels, I noticed a significant improvement after I started taking cinnamon capsules. I take these: http://www.webbernaturals.com/home/products.aspx?p=2502 I feel so much better after using these, and have heard of some women treating PCOS this way.

Thanks for reading!

ThePowderPuff

Wow! You look so great, I can't believe it. And think of all the years you have just added to life. I am truly amazed.
Hey Hey,

Its been awhile since I've been on specktra. So I wanted to update my pcos status.
I've lost about 26lbs since getting back on metformin, eating right, and exercising since December 30.
Enjoy and be encouraged :)

Jan. 15lbs down

March - 26lbs down

Keep going lovies!

ThePowderPuff

Wow great job Heather Nicole, you should be proud!

So... as for myself, I saw an endocrinologist. My periods are still between 5 and 6 weeks apart... and my hormones were all normal except for DHEAS... which was outside of the normal range and roughly twice as high as the average. I haven't seen her since and she didn't diagnose me with anything, but I did see my regular doctor and he didn't recommend any medication for me, as he seems rather anti-medication in general (which I like). He told me to get regular vigorous exercise and to eat more vegetables and protein. So, all in all, not much really came from that (except for me joining a gym a few days later).

From what I've read DHEAS seems to be responsible for excess oil... and my levels finally explain why my skin is so INSANE when it comes to oil production. Do any of you ladies know anything about elevated DHEAS levels, and have any of you had it too?

As for energy levels, I noticed a significant improvement after I started taking cinnamon capsules. I take these: http://www.webbernaturals.com/home/products.aspx?p=2502 I feel so much better after using these, and have heard of some women treating PCOS this way.

Thanks for reading!
That sounds like a very reasonable explanation to your skin problems. I have no idea what to do about it though? You should seek a doctor on this.

-Cassandra-

I have it too! I was diagnosed this past June after going through a TON of blood tests, diabetes screenings and one ultrasound. My doctor said I have all three criteria for it. It's been very difficult for me to adjust. I started on 100 mg of spironolactone and when that didnt work my doctor raised it to 200 mg and tried to incorporate Metformin. I had a HORRIBLE reaction to the Metformin. My stomach felt like it was going to explode. The pain was terrible and I just couldnt bear to keep taking it. I was 277 pounds when I was diagnosed and I am 253 pounds right now . My doctor says she wants me to keep loosing at least 20 pounds in between the times I don't see her. I just hope the Spironolactone helps because I want to avoid taking Metformin as much as possible...