Awkward...

MintCMUA

I was recently hired as a BA for Macy's. I'm in the "floater" position so I have no set counter. But I really want to work at M.A.C; that's the product I know most about, and that I use the most. In my free time I'm constantly over there, and they're soooo nice. The reason I'd rather work for m.a.c is because I feel that they're just as much into the artistry of make-up as they are the sales. I feel like Macy's doesn't really care about the art of makeup. They had me handing out coupons and the cosmetic dpt doesn't even accept coupons!! They just want you to exceed your Macy's sales goal and open up credit cards. Another reason is the M.A.C counter is very diverse in gender as well as race, and style. I love their programs; it shows that they really do care. I feel that I'll grow as an artist working at M.A.C; we get clients at the other counters, every now and again but that's rare. I'm lucky if I get to atleast color match someone. M.A.C always has clients, everyday all day: I find myself staring over there constantly watching them work, wishing that it was me.

The counter at Macy's is the only M.A.C in my area, (the others are 2hrs or more away) how can I apply right in front of my Macy's managers and coworkers?? I was thinking about working there for 6mos-1yr to get cosmetic sales on me resume and then quitting and applying at M.A.C but I really don't want to wait that long. Idk what to do!!

audraMUA

I have the same problem, except I work for Belk and I am actually hired by Lancome. Don't get me wrong, I'm extremely privileged and honored to be working for a makeup counter, when most people wish they can even get a job in the beauty industry. However, I am literally right across from the MAC counter and I have wanted to work there ever since I have gotten into the industry. Since working with Lancome, I have grown to appreciate our products and learned to love some of them, however I LOVE MAC products. I have an extensive knowledge on their products and I help them out constantly when they need help. The MAC workers love me, and they know that I know the product. They even say that I need to work for them because I love the products so much. I'm in the same boat that you are. I literally hate working for a cosmetic department in Belk, because, you're right, they DON'T care about the artistry behind makeup. They care about sales, passing out flyers, and pre-selling for gifts. I can't even do a make over without having some sale stipulation behind it. I've been sticking to this job because, I honestly do like it, and it's great experience. However, I know that I want to apply for MAC. It's weird for me, because my co-workers will see what I'm doing and I know they'll think I'm a brand traitor. The only thing is, is that I know that their are no permanent positions open, and they recently hired another freelancer.

I feel your pain. I was never a floater (Belk doesn't have those), but maybe try picking your favorite line out of all of them that have counters in your store. Maybe Chanel?

MintCMUA

I have the same problem, except I work for Belk and I am actually hired by Lancome. Don't get me wrong, I'm extremely privileged and honored to be working for a makeup counter, when most people wish they can even get a job in the beauty industry. However, I am literally right across from the MAC counter and I have wanted to work there ever since I have gotten into the industry. Since working with Lancome, I have grown to appreciate our products and learned to love some of them, however I LOVE MAC products. I have an extensive knowledge on their products and I help them out constantly when they need help. The MAC workers love me, and they know that I know the product. They even say that I need to work for them because I love the products so much. I'm in the same boat that you are. I literally hate working for a cosmetic department in Belk, because, you're right, they DON'T care about the artistry behind makeup. They care about sales, passing out flyers, and pre-selling for gifts. I can't even do a make over without having some sale stipulation behind it. I've been sticking to this job because, I honestly do like it, and it's great experience. However, I know that I want to apply for MAC. It's weird for me, because my co-workers will see what I'm doing and I know they'll think I'm a brand traitor. The only thing is, is that I know that their are no permanent positions open, and they recently hired another freelancer.

I feel your pain. I was never a floater (Belk doesn't have those), but maybe try picking your favorite line out of all of them that have counters in your store. Maybe Chanel?
I'm a floater because my availability was limited at the time I got hired. I had interviewed with Lancome and they really liked me and so did Macy's so they offered me the floater even though I wasn't available on "key days". My availability is open now but I haven't wanted to choose a "home" counter because I really do enjoy working at the other counters at my store and I can pick up more hours since I can work any counter, incld men/women's fragrances. I get close to 40hrs a week as opposed to the girls at set counters who get about 14-20.

Everyone really gets along with the MAC artists at my store, we all talk to one another. I'm not sure about Belk but at Macy's I would have to be unemployed from them for 3 months before I could work at MAC (I don't know why!!) We don't have a Chanel counter at mine either. Just MAC, Clinique, Lancome, Clarins, Shisedo and E. Lauder I love my job and co-workers, its just that I wish I could do more makeup applications. We do some but not as many. And MAC also doesn't have to open cards and they never have to "recruit" people to their counter.