Best Face moisturizer?

hundove

Hello all,
My face tends to get really dry (I have dry skin) and flaky sometimes, especially around the eyebrows and nose. Any recommendations for a good moisturizer that is not too oily and is more on the natural side (natural ingredients)? I'm willing to pay more, since to me the face is the most important part of the body since it is always on display (lol). Also, i'm thinking of something that will not change my face color around the sun, since I know that some creams pigment the face when exposed to sun.

It might help to know my age, 27.
th_dunno.gif

Thanks so much in advance.

browneyedbaby

I totally know how you feel. After trying everything under the sun I eventually came to realise that my face wash was not helping my dry skin... it's wasn't really anything to do with my moisturiser. I have blemish prone skin and used a face wash for that skin type. After switching to a milder face wash my dry skin started to get better (and my I don't get any more blemishes than I used to). I haven't yet found my perfect moisturiser as yet though. I'm currently using a Simple one but also also used Dermalogica, Champneys, Benefit... etc etc! The cheaper Simple one is just as good as many others I have tried so far though, even the much more expensive brands.

What about exfoliators... I exfoliate with a gentle exfoliant about once or twice a week. No more or it will start to have adverse affects on your skin.

My skin is much better now but I still get dry patches every so often. I've heard loads of good things for Philosophys Hope in a Jar so I think I'll be trying that next.

Also what's your diet like and do you drink enough water? I'm totally guilty of not drinking enough and I know this has a big affect on my skin.

Hope this helps a little bit!!!

clslvr6spd

I also have dry skin. I am really loving MAC's moisturelush cream, I love how my skin feels after a couple weeks of using it. But I do hear ppl that breakout from MAC's face creams.

Love Always Ivy

thank you to browneyed baby! its a great point that alot of people dont really grasp. sometimes the face wash you use can be causing your dry skin. so thats one thing to consider.

otherwise, the body shop has alot of great moisturizers (no animal byproducts, natural ingredients). just go into a store and an SA will direct you to an appropriate line (id reccomend Vitamin E Day moisture cream and the Honey and Oat 3 in 1 scrub mask for the dry flakiness or the Vitamin C Microderm Scrub to really smooth things out) Theyre really generous with samples too if you wanna try them out before you buy.

Janice

I'll second MAC moisturelush. Since I'm oily I don't use it during the day, but I use it as an overnight moisturizer and have had wonderful results.

Kiseki

I like Chanel's moisturizers from their Precision range, along with the serums they do wonders to my skin. I've had affairs with others, but always end up coming back to Chanel.

lethaldesign

3rd vote for Moisturelush! I started using it a few weeks ago & I looove it. I have very dry skin, with dry patches in the winter, particularly around my nose & chin area. Anyway, I use it every morning as a daily moisturizer & it has virtually made my dry patches disappear. Also, no problem with getting oily throughout the day. It feels pretty slick/thick going on but it dries down quickly & leaves your skin silky smooth.

hundove

Thanks so much Browneyebaby. That was really helpful. Yes, I'm also guilty of not drinking enough water. I exfoliate once a week most of the weeks. It helps but after a while the effect goes away.

The problem is the dry patches are even in my hairline and around my ears. I always feel really dry.

Thanks a bunches!

smellyocheese

Creme de la Mer is superb. best cream ever (for me at least). it helps with everything. hydrates immediately. i love using it as a night cream cuz the skin feels and looks excellent the next day. it's like a pick-me-up for the skin when you're having one of those days when the skin feels and looks horrible and the makeup looks all floaty. it helps to heal dry skin, wrinkles, sagging skin, scars (very much so) and even eczema (for me). generally it makes the skin smoother, more supple with much better elasticity.
you don't have to use a lot for the product to work. just a bean size, warm it up and patt. even around the eye area. if you use continuously at your age now, it'll work as an anti-aging. and you need just the cream. nothing else.

sharkbytes

I'm in love with Prescriptives Comfort Lotion...it's oil-free for sensitive skin, and it makes my makeup go on like a dream
smiles.gif

user79

I have sensitive skin prone to dryness in patches as well. I am really liking the Eucerin skincare line, I would check those out. It's made for people with skin sensitivity, and most of their products are perfume free. For really dry patches I spot treat with the Nivea Creme (the blue tube one) and it really works! Plus it's quite cheap.

quinntastic

I would take a step back and just re-evaluate your skin care routine as well to make sure there are no holes in it. You need to have a regimen that is designed specifically for dry skin. If you use a cleanser for another skin type, putting on a super rich mioisturizer really isn't going to help that much.

With that said, use a milky based cleanser so it isn't drying to your skin. It would be great to invest in a toner because they automatically pH balance your skin and are sooooo refreshing. Many are made with denatured alcohol (which is a cosmetic alcohol) and will not dry or strip your face. You could also benefit from using an exfoliator once a week to lossen dead, dry skin cells.

As for moisturizer, again, one that is specifically for dry skin. Get a "cream" formula as opposed to a lotion one that is a lot lighter. I have 2 that I love, both by Origins, a nature based company. The first one is called Never Say Dry and it is a thick but not heavy feeling moisturizer. I use that more in the winter when I am super dry. The other is a little bit more expensive because it has organic ingredients in it. It's Dr. Weil for Origins Plantidote Face Cream. If you have an Origins by you it wouldn't hurt to stop in an get some samples. They are always super nice there.

Good luck!

meiming

Thanks hundove for posting this! I am going through the same dilemma and you've saved me from duplicate postings
smiles.gif

quinntastic - I've read from some sources that if you have dry skin you aren't supposed to use toner and have been in the past advised to stop toners??

quinntastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by meiming
Thanks hundove for posting this! I am going through the same dilemma and you've saved me from duplicate postings
smiles.gif

quinntastic - I've read from some sources that if you have dry skin you aren't supposed to use toner and have been in the past advised to stop toners??

No, I have dry skin and I use a toner. You just have to make sure it is a toner designed for dry skin. The one I use has the cosmetic alcohol I was speaking about, but it also has good ingredients like trehalose to hydrate. It feels fantastic going on.

Divinity

I'm having the same problem AND I'm acne prone. I'm tempted to try the MAC moisturelush, but I always have bad experiences with their skincare line. I just bought a tube of strobe cream and am PRAYING no reaction occurs. So, I'm a big fan of the Sonya Dakar lines. It's a bit pricey, but so worth it. I don't break out, my skin is fabuloso, and they have the best eye cream ever!

Janice

I'm blemish prone as well if something gets out of balance, moisturelush hasn't irritated my skin or caused a breakout/blemish. YMMV

winterwonder

I swear by Dove. It's one of the only products I've tried (and I've tried many) that doesn't break me out and actually MOISTURIZES. I couldn't live without it.

hundove

I actually went and bought the MAC Moisturelush, but didn't really like it. It didn't leave my face silky smooth. Guess it didn't work out for my skin, but might be great for some. The good thing about it that it doesn't have any fragrance, so it shouldn't irritate sensitive skin. Thanks for suggestng it, though
smiles.gif
I wonder if there are face moisturizers with herbs and oils that are natural and help the skin at the same time?

littlemissn

Avene! I can't recommend them enough! I find their products absolutely amazing and I know they are recommended by most dermatologists. Ask your local chemist for a sample if they stock them. If not perhaps write to them.