Best Shampoos for African American hair???

CandiGirl21

I really don't have time to search through thousands of threads for a topic like this one that already exists. so excuse me if it does
winkiss.gif

I'm looking for a great shampoo that works for hair that breaks off?

My hair is funny. It grows then between perms it breaks off. I wanna know what good, strong shampoo and conditioner works for my/our hair?

amber_j

I have afro hair and swore by Aveda products when I relaxed my hair - I used the Shampure shampoo and conditioner, and Elixir leave-in conditioner. I'm not a hair pro, but it sounds like your hair is either not getting enough moisture between retouches or the person retouching your hair is overlapping the application and therefore weakening your hair at that point (hence the breakage at that part).

My stylist would tell me to use products that are intensely moisturising (i.e. those for damaged hair, chemically treated hair) and to use deep conditioning treatments as well. I used Le Kair Cholesterol every 1-2 weeks - just slap this on after you've shampooed your hair, stick a cheap plastic shower cap on while you shower, then rinse it out.

Also, it's important to keep your scalp and hair moisturised and to be gentle when you brush/comb your hair. I still use the Organic Root Stimulator range of products. Many of these are olive oil-based with natural plant extracts, and are really nourishing. But they can be heavy and greasy so a little goes a very long way.

Finally, wear a headscarf to bed or sleep on satin or silk pillowcases!

Just my two cents... HTH!