Biggest Pet Peeve Ever r.o

Hawkeye

When I was at school today I was talking about the stars, the universe, the new planet to the professor (he and I lost ASTRONOMY) and lo and behold this girl comes up and says- " Oh yes, I love ASTROLOGY too!"

NO NO NO!
th_remoteImage-61.gif
DO NOT CALL IT ASTROLOGY it is ASTRONOMY!

And another thing I hate is when people are referring to Anatomy they call it BIOLOGY! NO NO NO A LIVER IS NOT BIOLOGY when you are referring to it in ANY animal it is ANATOMY.

*screams and runs around in anguish*

There are so many more but these are the things that happened in class today
greengrin.gif

Viva_la_MAC_Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbeabitch
When I was at school today I was talking about the stars, the universe, the new planet to the professor (he and I lost ASTRONOMY) and lo and behold this girl comes up and says- " Oh yes, I love ASTROLOGY too!"

NO NO NO!
th_remoteImage-61.gif

And another thing I hate is when people are referring to Anatomy they call it BIOLOGY! NO NO NO A LIVER IS NOT BIOLOGY when you are referring to it in ANY animal it is ANATOMY.

*screams and runs around in anguish*

There are so many more but these are the things that happened in class today
greengrin.gif

LMAO - I hear you!! I took Biology .. and yes I know EXCATLY what you mean!!

Chic 2k6

tell me about it! *sigh*

my pet peeve is when im talking to people and they then completely twist what i say or doesnt listen to me properly, its so frustrating to have a convo with my mother

sharyn

Quote:
NO NO NO!
th_remoteImage-61.gif

haha Yeees I can definitely see myself in that... German is quite a difficult language and I am a freak when it comes to spelling and stuff... they called me The Human Dictionary in school. I often correct people and it totaly freaks me out when people misuse foreign words just because they sound good though they have no idea at all what they actually mean. The weirdest part of this is I am not even german but I correct native Germans all the time.

What also makes me mad is when people use words in a language they obviously dont understand (e.g. english, french) just because they think its cool and you dont even know what they are trying to say...

Beauty Mark

Quote:
What also makes me mad is when people use words in a language they obviously dont understand (e.g. english, french) just because they think its cool and you dont even know what they are trying to say...

My least favorite is when people get stuff tattooed on them in languages that they don't know or have a strong connection to.

I knew people in college who would use words because they were large but use them incorrectly and would be LIVID that you would dare correct them. I wasn't doing it to be a smartass, either; I just don't like when people use words incorrectly.

And of course, those people were the ones who would take ridiculous amounts of pleasure in correcting a slightly mispronounced word.

prinzessin784

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty Mark
My least favorite is when people get stuff tattooed on them in languages that they don't know or have a strong connection to.

OH GOD I HATE THAT! This girl I know has a tattoo that supposedly says "strong woman" in Chinese symbols and then says 9/11/01 -which is another pet peeve of mine. If you weren't there, or had a relative die, why on earth would you want that tattooed on you? It's ridiculous and I think it dishonors the real survivors and victims of 9/11. Her tattoo bothers me soooo much.

MiCHiE

youbeabitch, this should really make your skin crawl.....when people say Dr. Spock when they mean Mr. Spock or vice-versa. That works on mynerves.

Beauty Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by prinzessin784
OH GOD I HATE THAT! This girl I know has a tattoo that supposedly says "strong woman" in Chinese symbols and then says 9/11/01 -which is another pet peeve of mine. If you weren't there, or had a relative die, why on earth would you want that tattooed on you? It's ridiculous and I think it dishonors the real survivors and victims of 9/11. Her tattoo bothers me soooo much.

Did she give a reason why she chose to have that date on her? I bet she feels dumb if people as her about being in NYC or who she knew that died.

Hawkeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥MiCHiE♥
youbeabitch, this should really make your skin crawl.....when people say Dr. Spock when they mean Mr. Spock or vice-versa. That works on mynerves.

OMG that *DOES* make my skin crawl! GRRR I HATE THAT! It drives me NUTS!

~LadyLocks~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty Mark

What's so wrong with that? Maybe they get tattoo's in other languages because it would be boring it if was in their language. I have a tattoo of my daughters name in Japanese and I'm not Japanese but it looks "cooler" then if I would of gotten in it English. Not only that, It goes better with the theme I have on my back which is Japanese inspired. Most people I know that have tattoos with writing are in different languages. I guess different people for different strokes...

My pet peeves are:

*Slow drivers (people who are in the fast lane and refuse to move over to the slower lane, people who go wayyy under the speed limit)

*People that don't signal when there turning (you can be waiting for a car to pass before jumping out into the middle of the street and at the very last minute they turn so basically you've been waiting for nothing)

*People who talk during movies in the theater (I'll tell em to shut the hell up! I didn't pay $10 to hear people chatting away on the phone)

*Telemarketers (you know you hate when people call and bug you so why go and bug someone else)

*Fast drivers in residential areas (no need to explain)

*Fast drivers on the freeway who ride your ass just so you can move (umm no! I'm already going 80, if you want to go around then go ahead but get the f*ck off my ass! I love to hit the breaks when this happens lol)

I know there's more but I can't think anymore...

Hawkeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~LadyLocks~
What's so wrong with that? Maybe they get tattoo's in other languages because it would be boring it if was in their language. I have a tattoo of my daughters name in Japanese and I'm not Japanese but it looks "cooler" then if I would of gotten in it English. Not only that, It goes better with the theme I have on my back which is Japanese inspired. Most people I know that have tattoos with writing are in different languages. I guess different people for different strokes...

I think what it is-because this irritates me too, a little bit is that if you don't have a strong connection to the language, or you don't have someone who can tell you what it means then for all you know- you could think the language or symbol means one thing when in fact-it means something different thats very embarressing.

I have read numerous stories of people who would get a tattoo and they would think it ment "Spirit" or something like that when in fact it translated into "Gas" meaning Farts. etc etc

And I think that's what the peeve is (For me at least)

~LadyLocks~

Quote:
I think what it is-because this irritates me too, a little bit is that if you don't have a strong connection to the language, or you don't have someone who can tell you what it means then for all you know- you could think the language or symbol means one thing when in fact-it means something different thats very embarressing.

I have read numerous stories of people who would get a tattoo and they would think it ment "Spirit" or something like that when in fact it translated into "Gas" meaning Farts. etc etc

And I think that's what the peeve is (For me at least)

I see what your saying. Some people are dumb enough (for lack of a better word) to get something tattoo'd on their body without knowing what the hell it means, kinda like the spare of the moment type things or, what the hell...that looks great type stuff. But, other people actually take time in finding the right piece that'll fit just perfect for them because it actually menas something to them! It took me a longggg time to finally come up with something I wouldn't mind having on my body forever! I'm so happy with the end resluts
smiles.gif

mzcelaneous

People who mispronounce my name after I've corrected them numerous times. Say if my name was Bette and it's pronounced "Bet-tee" but they keep calling you "Bet". That works my nerves! Especially when after you correct them they say "Oh. Well I'll just call you "Bet", ok Bette?". Grrr!

mac'd out

My pet peeve is when people say 'literally' when it's obvious they don't know what it means. e.g. 'OMG I literally died when he said that my skirt was tucked into my panties.' I want to call them out on it but I don't want to be a bitch.

Holly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac'd out
My pet peeve is when people say 'literally' when it's obvious they don't know what it means. e.g. 'OMG I literally died when he said that my skirt was tucked into my panties.' I want to call them out on it but I don't want to be a bitch.

^^^
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif

My pet peeve is when you ask for someones opinion, and they say what they think will make you happy, instead of what they actually think.

IslandGirl77

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzcelaneous
People who mispronounce my name after I've corrected them numerous times. Say if my name was Bette and it's pronounced "Bet-tee" but they keep calling you "Bet". That works my nerves! Especially when after you correct them they say "Oh. Well I'll just call you "Bet", ok Bette?". Grrr!

I get this all time! My name is Feather, and people call me Feathers, Heather, Leaf. LOL My boyfriends Grandma called me leaf. She didn't know. But, people always mess up my name even when I correct them.

~LadyLocks~

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzcelaneous

Me tooooo!! That's one of my biggest pet peeves. People mis-prounce my name and call me Yo-Landa. I know it's spelled that way but it's prounced like YolOnda. My ex's grandfather used to call me that all the time and I hated it. I also had a boss that use to say. A few other people have done that also and all of them have been of Cacusian decent...strange
hmm.gif

Beauty Mark

Quote:

Wrong translations are a big issue for me overall. However, I also don't understand doing something for the sake of it's coolness; my tattoos, I think, look cool but they're also symbolic of things that are important to me or traits that I wish to have. I've also seen stunningly gorgeous writings in English that rival anything I've seen in any foreign language, so I can't buy that it simply looks cooler in kanji or Arabic or Hindi or whatever have you. YMMV, of course.

Speaking of tattoos, I hate like hell when people think it's fine to touch your tattoo without asking. It's skin. That's it. It feels like the skin on my arm.

Quote:
My pet peeve is when you ask for someones opinion, and they say what they think will make you happy, instead of what they actually think.

Or when someone asks you for your honest opinion and they get upset when you actually say something honest.

My latest pet peeve is when people purposely say/write something controversial and disrespectful (essentially, trolling) and get upset when people are offended and don't treat them with kid gloves. You get what you ask for.

redambition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~LadyLocks~
I see what your saying. Some people are dumb enough (for lack of a better word) to get something tattoo'd on their body without knowing what the hell it means, kinda like the spare of the moment type things or, what the hell...that looks great type stuff. But, other people actually take time in finding the right piece that'll fit just perfect for them because it actually menas something to them! It took me a longggg time to finally come up with something I wouldn't mind having on my body forever! I'm so happy with the end resluts
smiles.gif

i have a great story about that.

i have a friend who wanted to get chinese symbols tattooed on her back to remind her to be strong in life. so she ended up getting what she was told meant "inner strength" or something similar to that.

the chinese characters weren't chosen because they were cool, but because they had meaning to her.

several years later, someone she had met told her the tattoo actually meant something different! I can't remember what it really means, as it wasn't offensive or anything. she was just mortified that this tattoo that had special meaning to her was wrong. in the end, she realised she was stuck with it and just consoled herself with the thought that it looks striking and works so well where it is.

moral: always get someone you trust who can read the language to proof read your tattoo before getting it done.

MxAxC-_ATTACK

I hate when you are on the freeway.. Or even just a city street. and you put your signal on, and the person in the lane you want to go into speeds up and sits right next to you for a while
"HELLO SUCK-WAD! I WANTED TO MOVE OVER .... JERK!"
I hate this so much that I plan my attack... put my blinker on and get into the lane asap if I think the person next to me has the plan to not let me over.

and tailgaters or asshole drivers... I have never ONCE been F**ked with while driving my truck, EVER EVER EVER... but when Im in my little Acura integra.. People always feel the need to cut me off.. or tailgate me.. or some other type of stupid ass crap... i hate it