Black Market on MAC products?

angela

I think I read a thread about this on specktra a few years ago. (Mods please direct me if it still exists).. It sparked my interest to learn more about it because at my location, we have the highest shortage on MAC products ($80,000 worth) and because of it, we are constantly short on stock/products and Macy's refuses to allow us to order more products to fill our drawers and shelves.

I remember reading something about black markets on MAC products where shipments are "lost" or "missing" where in actuality there are people who somehow get their hands on these shipments before it reaches the MAC stores/counters. They take these shipments and sell them on ebay, overseas, etc. Not only MAC products, but all popular/high end cosmetic lines.

Does anyone have any info on this topic?

Xqueeze_me

I've actually spoken to the manager and staff at the MAC Counters and MAC Concept Store about this.. sometimes their MAC products (a box or two) were/are either "stolen" or "missing" during the delivery. Then you see a whole lot of authentic MAC products up for sale on eBay (applies only to dishonest sellers!!) but no one is sure if they're the stolen or missing MAC products. :/

amoona

Girl it happens all the time. Even our testers go missing!!! I'm assuming you work at Macy's Union Square so I can totally see people sticking their hands on the drawers even and taking stuff. Especially with the new layout of the counter there, there are soooo many blind spots.

But it's common for things like that to happen with delivery too, I remember in high school there was a group of girls who had some sort of connection where they'd get new shoes before they even came out and even LV purses and stuff. It all came off the back of the truck. It's crazy to think about it but I guess it's not that difficult.

angela

yea at our location we have a huge dividing wall thing so its hard to see customers from only one side. we literally have to circle the counter to see if customers need help. anyway, I know this happens all the time, but i was just wondering if there are actual articles online about this stuff..

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoona
Girl it happens all the time. Even our testers go missing!!! I'm assuming you work at Macy's Union Square so I can totally see people sticking their hands on the drawers even and taking stuff. Especially with the new layout of the counter there, there are soooo many blind spots.

But it's common for things like that to happen with delivery too, I remember in high school there was a group of girls who had some sort of connection where they'd get new shoes before they even came out and even LV purses and stuff. It all came off the back of the truck. It's crazy to think about it but I guess it's not that difficult.

Does MAC not put cameras in its stores?

angela

i never noticed! Are there cameras in MAC stores? At macy's there are cameras but I honestly dont think security watches us every second as there are 8 floors to watch. The only time they respond is if we call them and report suspiscious activity.

NAS216

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela
I think I read a thread about this on specktra a few years ago. (Mods please direct me if it still exists).. It sparked my interest to learn more about it because at my location, we have the highest shortage on MAC products ($80,000 worth) and because of it, we are constantly short on stock/products and Macy's refuses to allow us to order more products to fill our drawers and shelves.

I remember reading something about black markets on MAC products where shipments are "lost" or "missing" where in actuality there are people who somehow get their hands on these shipments before it reaches the MAC stores/counters. They take these shipments and sell them on ebay, overseas, etc. Not only MAC products, but all popular/high end cosmetic lines.

Does anyone have any info on this topic?

Interesting topic! I haven't read anything that specifically mentions MAC, but the smuggling of luxury goods for sale on the international black market is indeed a problem. As the demand grows (esp. in emerging/reemerging Asia & Eastern Europe & the internet), stolen luxury goods & counterfeit products are flourishing industries. And, you're right, the genuine goods are frequently "intercepted" while enroute to stores or warehouses, or stolen directly from these locations. Orders can be placed but get "lost," (i.e. directed to arrive elsewhere). All sorts of shadiness.

Unfortunately, loss is such an integral part of retail that upper management often doesn't think much of it. Plus, the people buying the stolen goods are usually not too concerned about where they came from, as long as the price is right. They don't think about or are totally unaware of what they could be supporting by purchasing this stuff- gang activity & violence, child labor, even oppressive foreign regimes.