"cystic acne"

lexfunk

Hey Ladies, I need your skincare advice. Throughout my teens, I struggled with generic white heads on my forehead, cheeks, etc. Im now in my mid-20s and I have flawless skin, except....major "cystic acne" on my chin/side cheek/lip area. I have a steady routine-- purity made simple cleanser, some glycolic acid moisturizer on the problem area, and then hope is enough moisturizer. I do a deep cleaning mask about once a week. IDK what to do to prevent this. About a year ago, I started using the gylolic acid moisturizer on the problem areas and I was clear for about 3-4 months. Since then, they are back with avengance and I can't seem to identify a correspondence to my cycle. I am desperate for advice!! (the pimples are large, painful, sometimes under the skin, but always develop a white head).

Help!!

mindlessgapgirl

i work at a spa, and one of the estheticians once told me that any major breakouts around the lip/chin/jawline area are a sign of a digestion problem - not sure how true this is, but it's worth looking into.

I used to be in the same situation. Pretty OK skin with a few pimples here and there in HS, but when I got to my 20s, had the same exact cystic acne breakout in the same areas you speak of. They have left me with many many scars, esp. on my right cheek
ssad.gif

I used a lot of stuff (proActiv, facials, expensive light treatments, department store face regimens) but the only thing that seemed to help the most was slathering on 2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide gel. Check out Acne.org - Acne treatment and community. That's where I went for my face cleaning regimen. I bought the face wash and the benzoyl peroxide. My best friend and I used it and saw results in about a couple months!
Regimen - before and after photos (<<< You can find my before and after pix on there under "Jennifer" and the girl above me, Michelle, is my best friend).

Of course, everyone's face is different, so I have no way of knowing if you'll respond the same way I did. But it's worth trying, esp since the products come in a large quantity and is definitely not as expensive as other acne regimens out there.
smiles.gif
HTH!

X4biddenxLustX

Puberty has utterly ruined my skin. I use to have whole cystic acne issue too up until about 2 or 3 years ago. But I still have an issue with blackheads and clogged pores.

Have you tried any Benzoyl Peroxide treatments? If you want to go a bit more natural, you can try the Boscia acne serum treatment stuff...it's the one that's $35. I've found that it works quite well and doesn't leave the area all gross and flaky the next morning on cystic zits.

Do you have insurance? Cause if over the counter treatments fail, you may want to see your GP or even a dermatologist. I have been on several different types of topical acne treatments and the most effective I've encountered and I've also read some pretty good reviews on it is Duac. But then again everyones skin is different so before I'd go make a visit with the doc, I'd try some OTC treatments.

lexfunk

Thank you, ladies for your helpful tips!

Jennifer- your skin really seemed to improve in those pics! Did you use the gel only on problem areas or all over?

I think that I will try the benzoyl peroxide treatment and if that doesn't work, I'll hit the doctor. I have also heard about Duac and that may be what I need.

Lissa

I have cystic acne a lot of the time, and my doctor said it was hormonal (I am 30 now) - too much testosterone. I take oral antibiotics and they have helped a lot, although I do get the odd one around my period. Nothing that I put on the skin topically has ever helped, they seem to be too deep under the skin for that. My advice is try not to touch them! Usually if I 'ignore' them and don't touch them then they go away without surfacing, whereas if I press them to see how much they hurt which is an annoying habit of mine (ouch, they hurt a lot sometimes!) then they get much worse and stay around for longer
ssad.gif

feenin4makeup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissa
I have cystic acne a lot of the time, and my doctor said it was hormonal (I am 30 now) - too much testosterone. I take oral antibiotics and they have helped a lot, although I do get the odd one around my period. Nothing that I put on the skin topically has ever helped, they seem to be too deep under the skin for that. My advice is try not to touch them! Usually if I 'ignore' them and don't touch them then they go away without surfacing, whereas if I press them to see how much they hurt which is an annoying habit of mine (ouch, they hurt a lot sometimes!) then they get much worse and stay around for longer
ssad.gif

This is the same for me. I'm 33 now and my dermatologist also told me it's hormonal if its cystic, especially along your chin and jawline. I say go to the doctor to get oral antibiotics (if that's what they suggest) or maybe even birth control pills. Hormones are a bitch huh??

VintageAqua

The same thing has been happening to me lately. I thought it was my foundation so I kept trying different things and it only got worse. Although I've tried HE and drugstore brands, Revlon Colorstay for Oily/Combo has been the best!

In addition, I started using at topical antibiotic and benzoyl peroxide combo which I received from the derm and it's really helping. I've been using it for about a week now, and I haven't seen a single new blemish or cyst occur.

HTH!

Jessica0984

My derm actually suggested Cetaphil products for my cystic acne. So far it is working. I also use acne free terminator topical gel.

Simply Elegant

Differin is really good for cystic acne. My skin freaked out for a few months a few years ago and I used this and now my skin is pretty much always clear.

xsnowwhite

I used to get cystic acne pretty frequently and differin is seirously a miracle. I hardly get any now, and if I do, it clears it up before it grows bigger. I highly reccomend it!

elegant-one

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsnowwhite
I used to get cystic acne pretty frequently and differin is seirously a miracle. I hardly get any now, and if I do, it clears it up before it grows bigger. I highly reccomend it!

What is differin???

hawaii02

Quote:
Originally Posted by feenin4makeup
This is the same for me. I'm 33 now and my dermatologist also told me it's hormonal if its cystic, especially along your chin and jawline. I say go to the doctor to get oral antibiotics (if that's what they suggest) or maybe even birth control pills. Hormones are a bitch huh??

I'm in the same boat. My dermatologist suggested microabrasion because my skin is so bumpy. However, currently, I'm doing the antibiotics and Differin.

Suri

My dermatologist just prescribed me with Duac.. Before that I used Acnefree Severe, and am still using it... they work great!!! Helps to reduce the redness and somehow kill the bacteria.. BUT this product will dry out your skin.. so try and get a good moisturizer.. My doc recommend me using Cerave.. so you can check that out if you're interested..

Anyhow, everyone skin is different... for me, I can see that the products work for me within 3 days by following the instructions on the box... and if it's persist.. see your dermatologist..

As for me, it's more of the stress and hormonal since am in my late 30s.. The funny thing was that I had clear skin in marriage years until my husband passing.. I guess I need to get remarry to get the clear skin back... *just kidding*

Anyhow, hope your acnes clear up!!!

mochabean

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigga_jenn
I used to be in the same situation. Pretty OK skin with a few pimples here and there in HS, but when I got to my 20s, had the same exact cystic acne breakout in the same areas you speak of. They have left me with many many scars, esp. on my right cheek
ssad.gif

I used a lot of stuff (proActiv, facials, expensive light treatments, department store face regimens) but the only thing that seemed to help the most was slathering on 2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide gel. Check out Acne.org - Acne treatment and community. That's where I went for my face cleaning regimen. I bought the face wash and the benzoyl peroxide. My best friend and I used it and saw results in about a couple months!
Regimen - before and after photos (<<< You can find my before and after pix on there under "Jennifer" and the girl above me, Michelle, is my best friend).

Of course, everyone's face is different, so I have no way of knowing if you'll respond the same way I did. But it's worth trying, esp since the products come in a large quantity and is definitely not as expensive as other acne regimens out there.
smiles.gif
HTH!

I completely agree with this regimen!!! Have you tried going on acne.org?? The owner of the site has a skincare regimen with the products for purchase. I was skeptical at first. I have always suffered thru acne, breakouts, cystic acne, etc. About 5 years ago, my skin was at its worst ever. I was desperate and tried every single product imaginable. I finally stumbled onto that website and tried the products. Back then, they didn't have all of the products for sale except for the benzoyl peroxide and you used drugstore cleanser/moisturizer like Aveeno or cetaphil with it. I tried it for 2 weeks and noticed a markable difference. I didn't get completely clear until 4 months into the regimen.

This is when I made my mistake. I figured my skin is clear, I will stop using the acne.org regimen. I then switched to other skincare lines. Slowly and slowly I started to begin to break out more and more until I started having a new pimple or zit every single day. I even tried tree tea oil, full strength as a spot reliever, then I tried to dilute it. But it wasn't really clearing my skin up.

I finally had enough and went back to acne.org to see if the regimen was still the same. I bought the products and received it in 4 days. I've been on the regimen now exactly 1 week and my breakouts and cystic acne have been slowly disappearing. Everyone's skin is different. Not everything works the same on other people. But this regimen works for me and my skin likes the products.

xsnowwhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegant-one
What is differin???

It's a prescription, idk what's in it. I use the differin gel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexfunk
Thank you, ladies for your helpful tips!

Jennifer- your skin really seemed to improve in those pics! Did you use the gel only on problem areas or all over?

I think that I will try the benzoyl peroxide treatment and if that doesn't work, I'll hit the doctor. I have also heard about Duac and that may be what I need.

Lexfunk, I used a layer of gel all over my problem areas. I basically don't get acne anymore, but I still put a layer of the gel over areas prone to breaking out. Like Mochabean, I got a little complacent when my acne started disappearing, so I stopped using the BP gel for a while and broke out a little in the usual areas. So now, I make sure to just put a thin layer over certain parts of my face, and it does the trick!!!

leenybeeny

The only thing that has worked for my cystic acne is zapping it with the zeno before it cane come to a head.. 9 time out of ten, if I catch it early, the cyst will disappear and never come all the way up.

ashk36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigga_jenn
Lexfunk, I used a layer of gel all over my problem areas. I basically don't get acne anymore, but I still put a layer of the gel over areas prone to breaking out. Like Mochabean, I got a little complacent when my acne started disappearing, so I stopped using the BP gel for a while and broke out a little in the usual areas. So now, I make sure to just put a thin layer over certain parts of my face, and it does the trick!!!

I've found that if you put the bp on while your face is still partially damp, it spreads even thinner and makes a tiny bit go a long way. What kind of moisturizer do you use, by the way? I'm still searching for something I like, with spf, that doesn't make me feel greasy, that won't break me out, and isn't ridiculously expensive! Is that too much to ask?
tong.gif