Danica Patrick?

kimmy

eh me either, really. i think she gets too many endorsements just because she's a lady in a male dominated sport, and not really because she deserves them...and i don't like that.

MAC_Whore

Not directed at anyone, just my thoughts:

I think she is fantastic. She continues to improve and persevere, despite constant scrutiny and criticism from the press. As much as people say she is getting too much attention from being attractive, she gets equal amounts of negative attention for it.

Sure she's had some pitfallls, but what rookie driver (rookie anything, for that matter) hasn't? Why is it that no one makes a big deal about the fact that so many of the male drivers in the sport have fathers who were famous in the sport? You don't think that gave them an advantage?

She is the only female driver to win an Indy Race. Did you know there were two other female drivers? Most don't. Danica has helped bring a lot of attention to the sport. That's a good thing.

Racing is a male-dominated, performance-driven (pardon the pun) sport. You can't be a princess and stay around forever. She is currently ranked 6th out of like 34 drivers. That's a good run. Besides, those open-wheel Indy racers hit 200-220 mph, IIRC, with no roof on their car. That's pretty effin' brave in my book.

Here are some of the physical demands of a driver:

1. A driver's heart rate reaches 85-95% of its maximum capacity during a race (races last for hours, btw). This equates to about 150-200 beats per minute, comparable to a marathon runner or a long-distance cyclist.

2. Drivers sustain 4-5 lateral G's in turns and between 0.7 and 1.5 G's while accelerating or braking. A force of 4-5 G's is similiar to having a 40-50 lb. weight attached to one's head.

3. During a race, drivers must discern and analyze numerous factors, including the closing speed of approaching cars, the distance from other cars and the identity of competitors. A driver's depth perception and field of vision is comparable to an NFL quarterback.

4. During a race, a driver's body temperature can reach up to 103º F due to the effects of heat, vibration, and multi-directional G-loading. A driver also may lose multiple pints of fluids through perspiration.

Aside from that, there is the whole issue of crashing, which can lead to:

1) Permanent injuries, like paralysis
2) Catching on fire, leaving permanent burns
3) DYING

Am I woman enough to make that my career? I'll be the first one to admit that I don't have a big brass pair capable of an Indy career.

All of that aside, look at this. Is this the cutest thing ever? When I saw that pic, I thought MAC needs to make a Danica LG collection. Crap, they did it for Fantasia (American Idol). A lot of women can sing, but there are only 3 female Indy racers. I love this picture because it says that she isn't willing to sacrifice herself, her femininity, to please the critics. Total hottie and Bad Ass Indy Racer. I can think of worse things in the world.

DanicaLG.jpg

Tinkee-Belle

i dont watch car racing but my ex bf was OBSESSED with her lol... posters allll over his room. I think a lot of guys thinks its super hot that she races cars. I think its pretty darn brave... theres no way I would ever do it!

Not directed at anyone, just my thoughts:

I think she is fantastic...
Sorry i cut off the quote but thanks for your post its great!
I feel the same way and she has come a long way and she deserves it...if she didn't then she wouldn't be where she is now...
Did you know about her show? its called At Home with Danica Patrick lol its so funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_Whore
I hadn't heard about the show. What network is it on? I'll have to check it out.
smiles.gif

Actually its only online, you can watch it at Motorola - MotoDanica just click Danica Show to view it. LoL its really funny its like a spoof on all the day time talk shows excepts its all related to racing topics

MAC_Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylsihBlondi
Actually its only online, you can watch it at Motorola - MotoDanica just click Danica Show to view it. LoL its really funny its like a spoof on all the day time talk shows excepts its all related to racing topics

Is it just me or did that wedding dress remind any of you of Star Jones wedding? lol

blindpassion

I think its really awesome to see a woman out there in a male dominated sport
shes doing great
shes beautiful
and even though shes playing a mans game so to speak, she stays very female.
Good for her!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindpassion
I think its really awesome to see a woman out there in a male dominated sport
shes doing great
shes beautiful
and even though shes playing a mans game so to speak, she stays very female.
Good for her!

Ya it excites me to see how far she's come as a female race car driver with her show At Home with Danica Patrick and her being on the cover of Sports Illustrated...She's come a long way

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_Whore
Is it just me or did that wedding dress remind any of you of Star Jones wedding? lol

LOL thats funny