Do you believe in tarot/psychic readings?

GreekChick

This tarot lady was recommended to me by a friend, apparently she was very accurate in her reading. My friend was in shock.
So just for fun I decided to test it. I went with my boyfriend, and we both decided to do a "couple reading". She had us pick three cards each, one after the other. She didn't even ask us any questions about our lives, nor questions regarding our relationship.
20 minutes later, my jaw had dropped. Everything she had said about my feelings towards my boyfriend, how I view the relationship, what are my pet peeves were all true!!! My boyfriend and I kept looking at eachother just stunned.
After having picked out my cards, the first thing she tells me is " You feel you are missing something in this relationship, and you are very negative, the most negative out of the both of you. You do this because you are protecting yourself, because you have been hurt by him in the past."
A day before the reading, my bf was asking me why I was so negative towards our relationship...We had an entire discussion about it. I have been hurt by him in the past.
All in all, everything she was saying was all so perfectly accurate.

Have you ever been to a tarot reading or spoke to a psychic? Do you believe in it? Or do you think it's all BS? If it is, what explains the accuracy, according to you?

jenii

Hate to say it, but these fortune-teller types are usually just very good at "cold reading." They can guess (often accurately) what's going on with you, and the more stunned you seem outwardly, the surer they are that they're on the right track.

That said, I obviously think it's all bull, but it's entertaining, nonetheless. I just wouldn't take it too seriously.

macface

yes some man read my hand and he told me I was going to get married twice.I only let him do it for entertaiment.to me only god knows.

Hawkeye

So true Jenii!

I remember one day I went to a Psychic and she told my fortune fairly accurately and then I went to a Tarot reader she told my fortune pretty accurately and THEN
ONE DAY
out of pure meaness and wanted to test things out-
I borrowed a friends truck. It was a messy truck. And I went to a different psychic, didn't have a shower, borrowed my best friends wedding ring, and I looked like crap-I had old raggy jeans on and a flannel and some boots.
Went to the psychic and we were talking and she said:
Your husband will leave you because your farm is slowly failing. Your children are very sad because their dad doesn't seem to want to help them...

and went on this thing. I told her thank you and got outside called my friend and laughed my ass off. Why?
At the time I was 19. I wasn't married, and I had no kids. I also don't farm. When I got to my friend to see her she and I laughed and I said, " Well I almost wanted to tell her that I'm going to be a Doctor." oh lord have mercy.

ilovexnerdsx

LOL, youbeabitch
smiles.gif

i don't agree with psychic readings, either. its incredible how much you can understand about somebody from looking at their reactions, the way they act, the way they are dressed, and etc.

if ms cleo was psychic....wouldn't she have seen that she was about to go bankrupt?
lol.gif

medusalox

The majority of psychics that work for cash are just good at guessing and cold reading. I used to read tarot when I was in highschool for 5 bucks a pop, and I always had girls lined up at lunch because I was so good, I could make them cry. My trick? Every girl has some unrequited love either in her past or current life. Mention it, she'll give you a hint.
smiles.gif
Then tell her it will all be ok. It's all people want to hear.
smiles.gif

That said, I did have a strange experience. I work at a Renaissance Faire in the summer, and went to have a reading right after I decided to travel with the faire across the country. Big change, I wanted some input. So, without saying a word to the reader, we start. She flips down some cards and goes "You're moving, but not forever. You're scared, but it's ok. Don't worry about your relationship too much, he'll be stressed but it will work out." She answered all my questions, and all I said was 'hello!" Strange...

She was right, too...my boyfriend was stressed enough to break up with me over the move, but we got back together right after. I dunno. It's just *so* easy to fake a psychic reading, I know it all too well...but every now and then, you get someone who might just actually have a gift..or something...

Beauty Mark

No, I went to one when I was like 12. Nothing came true from it, and some of it is really unlikely to ever come true (I asked about college and high school, and I already graduated from both.)

I hold more stock in tarot or any instrument readings (except oujii boards) than psychics. The cards do have specific meanings and the spreads have meanings, too. If you actually know what's what, you can't fake them as easily.

d_flawless

i wouldn't let it guide my life but i def. find it entertaining...i'm way more into astrology than anything else

i do believe there are people with psychic ability, but i doubt they come from miss cleo-esque people trying to earn a quick $10

CincyFan

I'm kind of up in the air when it comes to tarot or psychics. I've been to some that are crap and just doing cold readings and some that really seem to have a gift.

I went to one psychic that told me things so specific, that I was in shock and crying. I purposely wore plain clothes and no jewelry so there wouldn't be any signs to give her. She predicted that I would start dating my future fiance within the next year, that it would be someone I already knew and that I would know it's him because he would send me roses. She also told me some things about my dead grandfather that freaked me out.

At the time, I was 20, had never dated anyone for more than 3 weeks without getting bored and couldn't think of a single person that I would want to date seriously. Well, that winter I ran into a former co-worker when I was home for the holidays. We exchanged numbers and started talking regularly. 4 weeks into our phone dating, he sent me a dozen red roses. We started dating seriously when the semester ended and we were engaged by fall. (we're not together anymore though)

The funny part is that I went back to see the psychic the following summer and the second I walked in the door, she asked me if the roses were red or pink. I didn't have anything on that would indicate that I had a boyfriend. It was freaky.

HOWEVER, I took my mom to get a reading and she tends to wear a LOT of jewelry. The psychic told my mom she had a blockage hanging over her and she couldn't do a proper reading without sending some scroll to the mountains to cleanse her or some shit like that. She wanted to charge my mom $300 for it too. I was really pissed. Makes me wonder if what happened with me was power of suggestion.

Anyway, I think when psychics or tarot card readers give you vague readings, it's typically a cold reading. It's amazing what you can pick up when you study the art of body language.

I do believe in astrology though. And, not like horoscopes but actual star chart readings. My mom had my chart done when I was 12 and the majority of it came true, even the parts my mom didn't tell me about.

redambition

i think that there are a lot of people out there who do cold readings and fish for information, then tell you what you want to hear.

i also believe that there are some people out there with the gift of being able to see what will happen in the future.

the problem is, it's very hard to tell which one is which until you go see them
lol.gif

juli

I believe it!!! It actually happened it my case, whatever the psychic said. Not because she said it but her predictions were very tru in some cases.

But the kind of psychic I am referreing to is sorta diff. I think. They act. talk to spirits?!? I don't know how true the tarot cards are and not sure what that involves but all the psychic that I have been to involves some sort of spirit. I prefer that way. Sorta like he or she tells the psychic what she sees in a person past and future. Pasts are always dead on.

Juli!
-Worships!-
I'm wiccan [not satanism] and I have 3 tarot decks.
I can tell fortunes with a bowl of water, an apple, dice, cards, and many others.
True, you have to know the person you read.
But I do believe in it heavily.

I'm also some what of a 'ghost whisperer'.
I've had this gift since I was little.
-story time-
My mother, her best friend, and I [3 years old] were in my mother's car. We drove past a cemetary where my mother's friend's brother was buried. Slowly, I took Jane's [name change] hand and said "Don't worry.. he's okay".
I didn't even know about dead people yet, or even that she had a brother.
I have my great-grandfather's mattress he had after he came back from war, and I have dreams of WWII frequently. I see men lying on the ground, covered with their and other's blood.
It's quite a blessing and burden.
I'm not trying to sound all braggy or anything.
Really.

Chic 2k6

im not sure as i never had tarots done, however i found a box of tarot cards in a drawer somewhere and i was about to open the box when mom went "DONT OPEN THOSE!" she panicked and hid them, are they really that idk superstitious meaning about them?

Hawkeye

It really depends on the persons belief. Like to me they have no meaning whatsoever. They are just a bunch of cards that I can't play poker with.
greengrin.gif

Others though it (and I'm not preaching to anybody here so if you think I am I'm not) especially in a very religious setting or how you got brought up etc would view it as a way to invite satan in and start a huge spiritual warfare (Think: Good guys vs bad guys etc).

*shrugus* For what its worth.

lightnlovly

I'm not really a believer in the whole Psychic thing. I really believe that if it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen. My cousin tho is always wanting to go to a pyschic--it's not my deal. But....... a few years ago I was going to see my family in GA/SC and was stuck in the airport in Atlanta on standby. I was sitting by myself reading my book and noticed this older lady across the way staring at me. I smiled at her, but she kinda made me uneasy--so I went to go get food. When I came back to my gate area, the only seat left was next to her (my luck right?). Anyhow, I sit down and she starts talking to me--She tells me what I do for a living (I work at a lawschool--not that you could tell that) then she asked me what she does--I was playin and I'm like your a pyschic..which she was. She starts telling me why I'm out that way (the real reason--not just to visit family) It really freaked me out---she was sitting there telling me all about myself(for like 45 mins) and it was all tru!!! I didn't really hold a conversation with her--she just told me about myself--saying that my ora was really strong. She asked if there was anything I wanted to know about the future---I told her no! What will be--will be. She did however say that I was not going to marry my current bf--which kinda hurt. But a girl can still try right lol.
smiles.gif
Honestly, it was one of the craziest things I've ever had happen to me!
hmm.gif

amoona

I never believed in this stuff but my mom does. She convinced me to go to this lady who her friend told her about. I said nothing to the lady but my name and within five minutes she had me in tears. She knew things you can't just guess. She knew that I haven't spoken to my dad (at that point) for a year. The freaky part was that she told me my father had gotten married without telling any of us and that he just had a daughter with his wife the day before. I had no clue about any of this at the time. Then she told me about my rocky relationship with my brother and she knew that I worried about him because of the crowd he runs with. She also told me that I shouldn't worry about having trouble getting pregnant when I want to because I'll be able to get pregnant right away.

Here is why all of this is freaky ... I don't know this lady. Never met her, she was very specific and I never opened my mouth because I was so scared to be there.

When we left my mom called my dad and told him that she "heard" from the community that he got married. He finally admitted it and told her that he was scared to tell her. Even though they've been divorced for 10 years and she really doesn't care!?

The thing about the pregnancy freaked me out too because I've had a lot of problems with my periods and stuff. Since I'm 20 and I got my first period when I was like 13 or 14 and if I'm off the pill I wont get my married for months ... I've gone 6 months without getting it. So I was always worried that when I got married and wanted to have kinds I would have trouble because of that.

I'd never go back again though ... it scared me way too much. I'm a big wuss when it comes to this kind of stuff, it freaks me out!!!!

juli

Juli!
-Worships!-
I'm wiccan [not satanism] and I have 3 tarot decks.

I should have been more careful about choosing words I didn't know how to explain it sorta. I don't mean worship like evil sprirt or satanism. All I know that that they have separate room for the spririt where they go in couple times of aday for whatever hrs to sorta like worship the spirit. (I can't find another word to replace the W word/too complicate to explain. :/) The room is all decortated with essential/important pics. not just like any kind of painintings or like that. It has fresh flowers, necessary objects (?), food and etc.

I guess in a better way to explain this is a 'ghost whisperer'

True, you have to know the person you read.

not necessarily the ones that I have been to.

The fact is that Wicca is the start of alot of American holidays we have.
The egg and bunny from Easter came from Wiccans.
Yule and such came from Wicca and the French, creating Christmas.
[French had the whole tree thing, we had the presents underneath]

Wicca is 100% NOTNOTNOTNOTNOTNOTTTTTT the worship of anything evil!!

Just getting that point across.
'Warlock' is actually a term that means basically 'bastard'.
Wiccans praise nature.
Mmm.
Nature.

But not all Wiccans believe in Tarot or Crystal balls.
I just choose to because my aunt does, and she has really influenced me in life.
You would really be surprised about people's reaction to my religion.
They automatically look down on me because I choose to worship the very thing that keeps us alive.
So sue me.
I try my hardest not to offend anyone of any other religion, but if I do, I'm sorry.
I've had catholic-ness cramed down my throat all my life from my grandmother, and I've told her time and time again that no, I won't go to church with her.
Not that I have anything against church.
Just mine.
Creepy minster.
-Shivers.-

Anyways, if anyone wants to know more about Paganism or Wicca, or just about any religion in general, email me at [email protected]

No question is stupid!
Trust me, I've heard them all.
[P.S. Look up the Theban alphabet. I'm fluent in writing and reading it!]