does make up store measure up?

redambition

forgive me mods, for i know there have been make up store threads before. seeing as "make up" and "store" are two very common terms used on specktra, a search brings up... oh so much. if you find the thread and want to merge - no problemo!

well, a brand new branch of make up store has opened in my home town.

i wandered in there for a look and thought some of the eye shadows looked neat, as did the fake lashes (they have several types of feather lashes! some are great
smiles.gif
)

so my question - how does the quality of make up store products compare to other high end brands? is it good stuff, or is it not worth the time and money? i vaguely remember reading somewhere that the quality can be hit and miss.

also, if anyone out there has an idea of their price range it wuld be a great help.

lara

Hit and miss, middling price range.

Some of the eyeliners are fabulous (I'm thinking in particular of a peacock blue/green metallic liner that a friend of mine wears) and they do a great own-brand foundation very similar to the Armarni luminous silk foundation at only AU$30 a pop. The eyeshadows seem to wildly fluctuate; some of the ones I've purchased have been like blending silk whilst others have applied like chalk. YMMV.

I can't say that their customer service is too crash-hot though, as I'm yet to have a pleasant experience (or even an agreeably basic level of customer service) in the Oxford St store.

Karen_B

I have 3 eyeshadows and a cream blush from this line and I really like them.
The e/s are pigmented, easy to blend, stay on all day. There are a lot of colors to choose from too and some are really unique. I have one called Elf, which is kind of blue with a bit of purple/violet undertone, gorgeous colour.
The cream blush is a duo with a blush and highlighter. The shade I have is Shine, which is pink.
Their stuff is not super cheap but not super expensive either.
I also have 2 brushes, a 187 dupe that was expensive but still 1/2 price from MAC, and an angle eyeshadow brush. They're great too.

So all in all, two thumbs up for MU store!

redambition

Quote:
Originally Posted by lara
I can't say that their customer service is too crash-hot though, as I'm yet to have a pleasant experience (or even an agreeably basic level of customer service) in the Oxford St store.

definitely agree on that one - i went to their brand new store at broadway, and i was totally ignored while i wandered around randomly examining items... and it was dead quiet in there.

thank you so much for the responses
smiles.gif
i may check them out a bit more to see if there's anything worth picking up.

lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by redambition
definitely agree on that one - i went to their brand new store at broadway, and i was totally ignored while i wandered around randomly examining items... and it was dead quiet in there.

thank you so much for the responses
smiles.gif
i may check them out a bit more to see if there's anything worth picking up.

Ahaha, when was that? I probably walked right past you.
lol.gif

redambition

Quote:
Originally Posted by lara
Ahaha, when was that? I probably walked right past you.
lol.gif

hehe... it was sunday, around midday.

pookus

Thought I would share my experiences... Only three Make Up Stores have opened in the US so far (two in Miami and one here just outside of Denver). I stopped in the store and was impressed with the feel of many of the products I was testing, so I booked a lesson (for me, more useful than just a makeover) with the store owner (a former MAC artist) who was beautiful, talented and gregarious. She didn't push product on me and was respectful of items that I said I was already happy with in my collection, like skincare, mascara, etc.

I ended up buying a LOT of eyeshadow (I seem to find that their duochrome-ish/irridescent shades are silkier than their mattes), some blush, foundation and a couple of other random items and I have been pleased with almost everything I have bought so far. I like the foundation because I prefer NOT to have SPF when I know I will be photographed. I spent well and she included a free eyeshadow, a glitter pot, and a copy of their magazine.

All in all, it was a great experience and I am sure I will be back for more. The store is very convenient to me and the customer service at my particular location has been stellar both times that I was there. HTH!

The service in the Aurora

dee2404

Love it!! for eyeshadows, lips and blush...everythings else which is basically foundation & concealers I stick with MAC.

flowerhead

I went to one in Iceland, I was very impressed, especially with the glitter eyeliners. They were divine. The range of eyeshadows was good too. The lipgloss smelled gorgeous =D I didn't buy anything, but it's definitely worth checking out.

redambition

i bought the cybershadow in ra a few days ago.. it's a gorgeous intense yellow.

i haven't used it yet, but i have an idea for christmas!