Emergency SKIN problem... Help anyone

elmo1026

Hey you guys so in the last week i have been having these skin problems. I used PROACTIVE for about 3 years. Until about last week i decided to change my skin care to the neutrogena acne pink grapefruit and then this happened (look at my pics below). I started to get blotty skin. it looks like dead skin and acne on top of that. Can someone please help me. I need some help. please advice me on anything.

thank you....

coconut

Proactive is benzoyl peroxide and most neutrogena products are salicylic acid (let us know if it's not)...perhaps the switch made your skin freak out after years of using benzoyl peroxide? I find that either one or the other tends to work for most people. For me, salicylic acid works better, but maybe for you the BP is key. Did Proactive work for you or is the reason you switched because it wasn't working? I say if it's not broke then don't fix it!

elmo1026

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoybeingagirl
What is the active ingredient in the neutrogena products? (ie: salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide)

salicylic acid. is the active ingredient.

enjoybeingagirl

I think the Salicylic Acid is making your skin dry - thus causing the white patches of dead skin. Your skin was tolerant of the BP because you used it for so long. Why did you change? Was the Proactive no longer working for you?

elmo1026

no i just did not want spend that much money anymore on it. damn it looks like i am going back to proactive.

MzzRach

Have you tried one of the Proactiv knock-offs? Like Acne-Free - available at drugstores? Has similar ingredients and is 1/2 the price.

Good luck - skin issues are so stressful. *hugs*

MACLovin

Girl your skin needs some TLC
ssad.gif
I think the products you're using are way too harsh. Try to get yourself to a health food store (like Whole Foods, Fresh Market, Wild Oats, etc.) and take a look at their products for oily/acne-prone skin if that's what you have. Many of them contain soothing ingredients that will calm your skin down when it's freaking out as well as help with the acne. But from the pics it doesn't even look like you have a lot of it!

I think just a regular, all natural skin care routine for combo skin would benefit you greatly. Proactive is way too harsh for a lot of people, imo.

In the meantime, step away from the salicylic acid! lol ..Then get some chamomile tea bags and make some tea. Chill it in the refrigerator, and then soak a soft cloth in it. Wring it out, and put it over your face while you lay down for about 10-15 minutes. Afterward, apply a light moisturizer and try to just leave your skin alone for as long as possible so it can calm down.

Hope its better soon!

enjoybeingagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACLovin
Girl your skin needs some TLC
ssad.gif
I think the products you're using are way too harsh. Try to get yourself to a health food store (like Whole Foods, Fresh Market, Wild Oats, etc.) and take a look at their products for oily/acne-prone skin if that's what you have. Many of them contain soothing ingredients that will calm your skin down when it's freaking out as well as help with the acne. But from the pics it doesn't even look like you have a lot of it!

I think just a regular, all natural skin care routine for combo skin would benefit you greatly. Proactive is way too harsh for a lot of people, imo.

In the meantime, step away from the salicylic acid! lol ..Then get some chamomile tea bags and make some tea. Chill it in the refrigerator, and then soak a soft cloth in it. Wring it out, and put it over your face while you lay down for about 10-15 minutes. Afterward, apply a light moisturizer and try to just leave your skin alone for as long as possible so it can calm down.

Hope its better soon!

I agree. All of the BP was drying your skin, forcing it to make more oil, so it continues the break out cycle. Do you use a moisturizer? Before going back to Proactiv I would try a gentle cleanser and an oil free moisturizer to balance your skins oil production.