False Eyelashes??

BEA2LS

Hello, I have a question - I would like to start trying false eye-lashes but want to play around with them before i get a good, quality pair. does anyone know of any good ones i can at a drugstore? mostly just to try them out and see what it's like to apply them..

Luceuk

NYC have pretty good lashes to start of with, but get some glue. They are already sticky but they need glue like Duo to stay on for a full day.

BEA2LS

Thanks! Not to sound dumb but do they sell the glue at the store, too? For whatever reason this is all new to me

NewlyMACd

Hey I am new to them as well. Like 2 days new
greengrin.gif
I went and got some of the Ardell's from the drugstore. They were $2.99 or $3.99 I can't remember. So sad. Anyway. The DUO glue I got because I heard about it a lot. I got the clear/white kind. I don't like it because I have dark skin and when I put them on, I could see it. So I'm going to buy the black glue. So if you are light you can probably get the white clue and have no issues. Now for me, I had issues putting on the full set lashes so I opted to buy the individuals from the beauty supply for like $1.99 and used those. So much better. Takes more time but better for me and easier to work with. I havne't given up on the full sets but as of now, I prefer the individuals.

BEA2LS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewlyMACd
Hey I am new to them as well. Like 2 days new
greengrin.gif
I went and got some of the Ardell's from the drugstore. They were $2.99 or $3.99 I can't remember. So sad. Anyway. The DUO glue I got because I heard about it a lot. I got the clear/white kind. I don't like it because I have dark skin and when I put them on, I could see it. So I'm going to buy the black glue. So if you are light you can probably get the white clue and have no issues. Now for me, I had issues putting on the full set lashes so I opted to buy the individuals from the beauty supply for like $1.99 and used those. So much better. Takes more time but better for me and easier to work with. I havne't given up on the full sets but as of now, I prefer the individuals.

Thanks - I'm as pale as a ghost so the white glue should be okay - but I do plan on wearing black eye-liner so would that look funny?
Thanks so much for your advice, i thought the full set would be easier?? maybe not, it seems.. thanks so much!!

jdechant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEA2LS
Thanks! Not to sound dumb but do they sell the glue at the store, too? For whatever reason this is all new to me

Hey...the Duo glue is sold at MAC. I would recommend it!! It works really good...but it does take a while to get tacky on the lash line..I used to think it only took 30 seconds, so I would put on the lash and the glue would still be wet and had a hard time sticky properly..so when you do put the glue on the falsies...wait a while until the glue gets tacky to the touch...I am not sure if there is any drugstore glue that works good though...

BEA2LS

Hello, thanks - i remember hearing about it now!!
smiles.gif
I planned on going to MAC anyway
winks.gif
but like I said, i just wanted the actual lashes to be kinda on the cheap side so I can play around with them first.
Thanks everyone for this great advice! I cannot believe I never really messed with them before, it seems like such an obvious thing for me to do!

photogeek

hey- first of all yay for getting into lashes!
once you get it down (it's really just practice.) you'll never regret it
greengrin.gif

gotta run, so will try not to write my usual novel:
- Ardell lashes are my favorite drugstore (d/s) lashes and they have a huge line, they're one of the classic, standard brands that everyone knows and you can find about anywhere (usually between $2-4)
- DUO Adhesive can be found at Rite Aid and CVS (probably other d/s as well) and it'll be with the lashes in the nail and beauty isle. Ardell makes glue as well, but nothing compares to DUO (even MAC only sells duo, they don't bother making their own!) and it's usually under $5 and will last you forever. There is 'clear' and 'dark'- clear is more forgiving if you are just starting and want to be able to shift the lash around a bit while the glue is drying but when you get the hang of it I think the dark looks more polished.
- to begin with, #108 lashes and 'babies' lashes are the most natural imo, they're both pretty short but definition and volume and work really well if you have short lashes like me
winks.gif
otherwise, check out #109s and #110s which are staple 'natural' lashes. if you want to try a bit more drama, then 'luckies' are fantastic since they're a bit more edgy and are darker than the 108-110s
- another way to start is by using 1/2 lashes (pretty much the outer 1/2 of strip lashes) to apply to the outer corners of your eyes. sometimes you can find them in stores (ardell makes some) but you can also just cut regular lash strips in half. when I was first starting, by biggest issue with full strips was getting the inner corner to place and stick properly and with 1/2 strips you won't have that problem and can get some more practice first
- also, like NewlyMACd said, if you want to experiment with 'singles' (called 'flares' usually) which are little knots of about 6 lashes that come in about 3 different lengths, some people find them easier to work with than the strips

hth! sorry that I wrote so much, lol
meg

ps- make sure you have some tweezers on hand, especially if you go the singles route, it'll make your life a lot easier since you'll be able to see what you're doing rather than having your hand block the view
goodluck! have fun with it
smiles.gif

photogeek

oh and 'pps' lol-
just saw your question about clear glue with black liner and what I'd suggest is just 'painting' over any spots that look a little too white with some black gel liner (like blacktrack) or with mascara that you put onto a small brush. I always end up painting at least one little spot on the top of the lashes when I use the light glue (or even the dark stuff, it dries to a pretty dark gray really, not blackblack)

k, going now!
m

jdechant

Quote:
Originally Posted by photogeek
oh and 'pps' lol-
just saw your question about clear glue with black liner and what I'd suggest is just 'painting' over any spots that look a little too white with some black gel liner (like blacktrack) or with mascara that you put onto a small brush. I always end up painting at least one little spot on the top of the lashes when I use the light glue (or even the dark stuff, it dries to a pretty dark gray really, not blackblack)

k, going now!
m

Yah, this trick works great..In my opinion, also helps to seal the lases on better...I would definitely play around with the cheapies first..get the hang of it and then splurge on MAC ones..lol..I still am using the cheapies cause I don't feel like I have enough practice yet..GOOD LUCK!!

I luve me some false lashes from the drgustore. i spend more on those rather then the ones from MAC. dont get me wrong i need some #7's in my life but come on drug store lashes are as great. they last as long as my mac ones

Luceuk

I wish I could get Ardell at drug stores here, I need to go to Sallys for some. I've wanted to try them for a while.

shyste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luceuk
I wish I could get Ardell at drug stores here, I need to go to Sallys for some. I've wanted to try them for a while.

First I wanna say
specktra_rocks.gif
.....and I confess I am a lash whore!...I name them all hooker lashes, church lashes, work lashes..etc..lol! If you can't find lashes in your area ( I don't try anymore)..try this site Online Shoppe for Discount Ardell false eyelashes, fashion lashes, duralash eyelashes, Invisibands lashes!...they are a lil cheaper and you get better deals esp if you buy in bulk....you can try promocode eten...should still be good and they ship fast and you get a free pair when you buy...just enter freebie in the comment box! hth

BEA2LS

thanks, i actually found the duo glue (i got black by accident but i really like it better!) and ardell half lashes.. i wanted to try the half first but it worked out so much better than i thought it would!

hhunt2

I have mostly Adrell lashes and a few halloween ones. lol. But they are really nice (black lashes with subtle rhinstones on them; pretty pretty).

When I first started wearing/collecting lashes, I had bought 2 sets from Longs b/c my cousin works there (so I got 30% off). From then, I had fallen inlove with lashes (especially Ardell's)! And the glue that comes with the Ardell's is decent glue. I've never had problems/dislikes about them.

Then I noticed a sale in the Ulta ad & at Sally's Beauty (buy 1 get 1 free, or buy 1 get 1 for 50% off). So in ad's or while shopping around, I always look for sales.
And you can also get great lashes at beauty stores (I have Sally's here), and I have the discount card so I pay the wholesale price.

I always thought putting on lashes was like surgery. But after actually trying it, it was easy and quick.