fashion show certification

onnachan

hey! do any of you MA's have your fashion show cert? if so, can you post what it was like? & tips?

calbear

I don't have mine as I was not app certified by the time the last fashion show came up but I can tell you what the girls who did do it said.

They said that brought their models and our Senior Artist was there to watch/ time their work. They were given a specific look to do in a certain time. We got hints at the last Update about what might be something the Sr. Artist would be looking for (this time they were going to be focusing on the perfect red lip as well as this new eyeliner technique they showed us).

The Sr. Artist graded them but didn't say anything at the time. OUr trainer called a few days later with the info of who made it, and then gavwe everyone their scores and whether they got fashion show certified or not (yes some got certified who they didn't need for the show)

I hope this helps some and maybe someone who is can help you further.

giz2000

When I was FS certified (during an Update break), we had to complete a full face in approximately 15-20 minutes. The trainers served as models (which made it hard to BS our way through anything!) and played loud music just as they would at a show. They would eat, talk on the phone, and did pretty much every thing that happens at a real fashion show. Then someone came and took one of our products (in my case, they took my liquid liner. My look called for liquid liner, so I have to improvise quickly....I used Carbon eyeshadow and Fix +. It worked like a charm).

All in all, it was stressful and challenging, but fun. I don't know if every FS certification is the same, but that's just an example of what to expect. Good luck!

calbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by giz2000
When I was FS certified (during an Update break), we had to complete a full face in approximately 15-20 minutes. The trainers served as models (which made it hard to BS our way through anything!) and played loud music just as they would at a show. They would eat, talk on the phone, and did pretty much every thing that happens at a real fashion show. Then someone came and took one of our products (in my case, they took my liquid liner. My look called for liquid liner, so I have to improvise quickly....I used Carbon eyeshadow and Fix +. It worked like a charm).

All in all, it was stressful and challenging, but fun. I don't know if every FS certification is the same, but that's just an example of what to expect. Good luck!

WOW that sounds FIERCE!!! you go girl!

caffn8me

LOL! On the course I did our tutor mentioned that models have a habit of talking on the phone and he said the best way to deal with it was either to work around the phone very obviously leaving a bare patch or apply makeup to the phone and hand as well
winks.gif
A bit naughty perhaps but effective! The models soon get the hint.

His tip for really annoying models is to place a couple of fingers under the chin and a couple of the forehead and tilt the head right back - it gets incredibly uncomfortable very fast! Anyone got any other tips
winks.gif

lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffn8me
His tip for really annoying models is to place a couple of fingers under the chin and a couple of the forehead and tilt the head right back - it gets incredibly uncomfortable very fast! Anyone got any other tips
winks.gif

The head-back thing is my favourite. Staring is also really good - a dead, expressionless stare straight into their eyes to force them into silence. I've taken a phone out of a girls hand before, told the person on the end of the line that they'd call back later and hung up. Word got around after that one, I think. heh

Professional models are usually wonderful to work on. They're usually very calm and zen, have gorgeous skin and have the courtesy to use handsfree.
winks.gif
Self-styled amateur 'professionals' are the worst, especially if they're wealthy teenage girls who got into modelling through an agent friend of mummy and daddy. :roll:

calbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffn8me
LOL! On the course I did our tutor mentioned that models have a habit of talking on the phone and he said the best way to deal with it was either to work around the phone very obviously leaving a bare patch or apply makeup to the phone and hand as well
winks.gif
A bit naughty perhaps but effective! The models soon get the hint.

winks.gif

Victor (one of the Sr. Artists in our area) does this ALL the time. NO matter who he's working with. He used me as a model for something and damn did my neck hurt. I know not to move - I'm a good model.

maxcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by onnachan
hey! do any of you MA's have your fashion show cert? if so, can you post what it was like? & tips?

Heh. Yeah. Total freaking circus.

Our models were directed to be a bit "uncooperative"- (Mine chewed gum like a cow chews cud) - also you had to listen really carefully and keep an ear out - our look suddenly changed and we had to adapt it. The trainers also took stuff from us when we weren't watching - the key lipstick, a brush (or four), to see how you can think on the fly and make due. Oh yeah, they turned the lights on and off but I hear they don't do that anymore.
rofl.gif
I'd forgotten about the music!

onnachan

thanks so much for your post. i've done a bunch of fashion shows before so i feel like i know what to expect in a real situation...but the word is that in my area it is **tough** to get a fashion cert. last time there was a chance only a few artists got the chance to go and less than half actually got it! their looks had to be not just close, but identical to the key artists.. one of my friends who has been a MA for years didn't get it and her make up is always amazing... just her liner wasn't crisp enough.
anywho.. your post was totally helpful. another thing is you have to pack your own kit and you can only bring 1. for shows i usually bring 2 plus a carry all full of skincare and foundations! help! how did you condense? foundations - i use 2 lipmix trays with select cover and studio finish and then sheer them out with fix+, moisture fix or strobe.. but what about fluidline/lipglass/pigments etc?

MACgirl

the important thing in a kit is condensing key colors, have a few finishes and youre good. i'm not fashion show certified but im planning on it!!

shabdebaz

I have my fashion show workshop in a couple of weeks. Even though it is just the workshop, I'm still pretty nervous. Everyone I speak to says it is pretty intense.

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out the essentials to pack in one kit. I KNOW they will ask for a red lip and black liquid liner for a look, so I'm good for that. They switch around the models for 3 different looks, so you also have to have a decent foundation selection. I don't freelance, but I think I have enough colours...

chocolategoddes

That sounds so cool!
When dealing with a stressful situation like a quick fashion show makeup, it's always a good idea to remain calm, clear your mind of everthing, amd ONLY focus on the makeup... not the chaos going on around you.