Fired/Rant/Questions

TheDiesel

Written on Saturday, May 9th.

Okay so I worked for a bowling company up until about an hour ago. I was basically fired for being on crutches. May 1st, in the evening I hurt my knee. (Knee slipped out of place while I was walking down the stairs, I fell and landed on my knee. Which jammed it right back into place and it now has a problem staying in place if I'm not wearing a brace. Although it has gotten better over this week, I can put some weight on it.) Well Saturday (May 2nd) at around 2 I get a hold of my boss to let her know I'm on crutches so that when I get there she doesn't freak on me for not telling her. She asks if I have tried to get someone to take my place. I told her No because I would be fine. She says "It might be a good idea". (Not once telling me she doesn't want me there on crutches) I go in to work at 7, I'm not late and I'm fully prepared to do everything required of me. I work with a friend of mine and I told her before I got there that I was on crutches as well. She was fine with it, said she'd help me out. We go through the night with me running the register and helping the customers when they came to the counter. No big deal, we got everyone taken care of and there weren't any problems. That night ends and we get all of our cleaning done... Then my boss lays into me. Tells me that she felt uncomfortable with me being there on crutches, that I should have let her know on Friday that it happened. Wants me to find someone for Sunday or she'll just figure it out because she doesn't want me there. So my friend says she'll just stay a few extra hours for me and cover part of the shift. No big deal...

Then on Sunday I get a text from my friend saying she can't cover it and they're going to just have to deal with it. An hour before my shift starts my boss texts me to tell me I need to just come in at my regular time. I had already taken 2 hydrocodone pills and I live in Blue Springs... There was no way I was going to drive or be able to work. So I tell her I cannot and I tell her the reason. She gets pissy and tells me that we will discuss this later. Today she tells me to come in at 6 (as far as I knew I was supposed to work at 7) so that we can talk.

She then tells me that because I didn't give her more notice about the crutches it shows that I do not respect my workplace or my coworkers and that I will no longer be working there. And I have proved that I hate my job.

How is it that I do not respect my work or like my job? I didn't call off. I didn't not do my job... I went in and did everything I could. I in fact loved that job.

It's halfway a bar and there are people that have gotten so drunk on their shift that they couldn't even finish their cleaning or do it the proper way at the end of the night. I have NEVER done that.

Anyone know what I could do? Is there anything?

kimmy

you'll have to read up on the company policy.

some company policies are written so that not notifying the employer within a certain amount of time that you're physically or mentally comprimsed is grounds for termination.

most company policies are written in a way that makes you responsible for your shift if you haven't given your employer twenty-four hours notice. therefore, since your friend couldn't cover you, it falls back on you ultimately.

if neither of these stipulations are in the company policy, i'd take it back to my boss and call her on it. if need be, and you really want the job back, take it higher.

TheDiesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmy
you'll have to read up on the company policy.

some company policies are written so that not notifying the employer within a certain amount of time that you're physically or mentally comprimsed is grounds for termination.

most company policies are written in a way that makes you responsible for your shift if you haven't given your employer twenty-four hours notice. therefore, since your friend couldn't cover you, it falls back on you ultimately.

if neither of these stipulations are in the company policy, i'd take it back to my boss and call her on it. if need be, and you really want the job back, take it higher.

I really don't think getting my job back is an option. I obviously can't work for her in the future.
And I didn't see anything in the company policy, I read it a million times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren1981
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDiesel
I live in Blue Springs...

i'm sorry, i don't mean to ignore your story but i got really excited over this part
i'm from kansas city!!!!

Haha, Nice! I wish I knew more people that live here, can't say I have a lot of friends in the area. Most of my friends are in Cali, where I'm from.

Lauren1981

Quote:
I really don't think getting my job back is an option. I obviously can't work for her in the future.

Haha, Nice! I wish I knew more people that live here, can't say I have a lot of friends in the area. Most of my friends are in Cali, where I'm from.

what made you move there??
i just moved away 2 years ago??
and to be on subject, how is your knee?

TheDiesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren1981
what made you move there??
i just moved away 2 years ago??
and to be on subject, how is your knee?

My mom's immediate family is here.
What made you move?
It's much better, I won't be playing tennis or going running anytime soon, but I can at least put weight on it now.

kimmy

Quote:

if you don't want your job back, just let it be. try not to let it bother you and start looking for work elsewhere.
smiles.gif

at my first job, one of the supervisors wanted to fire me because i wrecked my car and had to go to the hospital because i busted my head but i didn't give her four hours notice...i wrecked my car on my way to work...nice, right?