foundations recs?

I never seem to have luck with foundation. They either just do not match me well or do not live up to my expectations. The only foundation I have had luck with is Bare Minerals matte, but lately I haven't really been liking the "powdery" look it gives me. The shade I wear is Fair.

Other foundations I have tried:
L'Oreal True Match in N1. Was unsure of the shade and the SA at Ulta was no help, either -_-. Not even sure if it really matches my skin. It was okay but surely there is something better out there!
Revlon Colorstay. Couldn't find one that matched my skintone.
Clinique foundations. I don't think these match me well.

Price really isn't an issue...I have access to department stores (Macy's, Dillards) as well as an Ulta. The closest Sephora is an hour away and the closest MAC counter is also an hour away (but I don't have any interest in MAC foundations, so please don't suggest them).

I'm pretty pale...fair/light skin with redness/acne. Brown hair and brown eyes. I'm looking for something that is oil-free/non-comedogenic, gives a semi matte or slightly dewy finish...trying to stay away from completely matte foundations because I just do not like the way they look on my skin. I have combination skin that tends to get oily mostly in the forehead, but that's nothing that a little primer and some setting powder can't fix :)

Thanks everyone!

coffee1

My favorite foundation, by far, is MUFE HD foundation. I think you would like the finish, too - it's very natural. You might also like Diorskin, which has a similar finish. I think Dior might be sold at Macy's, but I'm not sure. I think, but I'm not sure, that neither MUFE nor Dior is sold at Ulta. Oh, and I've heard good things about Guerlain Lingerie de Peau.

My recommendation would be to go the Sephora, even though it's an hour away, and explain your difficulty finding a foundation that matches. Try to get 5+ samples in various foundations, and various different shades if needed. I think there's supposed to be a limit of 3 samples per visit, but if you explain that you live far away and you are planning to purchase a foundation once you figure out what matches, I think you will be able to find a sales associate that will help you. You could also try asking multiple different sales associates for samples, if needed.

Go home, and test out the samples in different lightings. Then, you can order the foundation online. Save your receipt - you can return for a full refund (or exchange, even without a refund) at Sephora if the foundation doesn't work out for you.

In the long run, I think it's actually cheaper to test and then return if needed high end foundations than to experiment with buying drugstore foundations.

shellygrrl

Staff member
I used to wear True Match years ago, and I'd agree with you. It's an okay foundation but nothing special. My main rec, at least in regards to drugstore brands, is Maybelline Fit Me (also available at Ulta). The lightest shade (#110) may work for you. (#110 is my own shade; I'm also quite fair.) The shades ending in "0" are more neutral/yellow; the ones ending in "5" are pinker. Definitely semi-matte (I'd call it a satin finish, personally). And I hear you about being far away from stuff. (Nearest department store - 2.5 hours away (Macy's); nearest Ulta - 4 hours; nearest Sephora - 6 hours; nearest MAC counter - 6 hours.) This is why I wish more cosmetics companies would sell foundation samples.