Had my Estee Lauder Interview .. grr

JGunnar

After waiting for 4 hours to finally get in and speak with her I was exausted and cranky but I hid it and went in there. We interviewed and I thought it was going well but she ended up telling me that Because EL is the top brand of the store that they have high sales rates and huge daily quotas. something like 6k a day and she didn't think I was ready to handle that.

She also said she needed someone who she thought would commit to the position rather than stay for a couple of months and say "this is tough" and leave.

I was kind of offended by that. I gave her 5 job references. 3 were summer jobs I held inbetween college and 2 I've been at for years. I'm nearing a year with my current job but I'm not leaving it because it's hard. I told her I'm willing to leave it because my passion is makeup and that's what I want my career to be and I feel it's time to get started.

Basically she ended by telling me she was under the impression that I percieve makeup to be all fun and glamorous rather than a stressful business but that she would keep me in mind or refer me to some other brand.

Whatever!

I'm never going to get in with makeup, yall
ssad.gif

Shimmer

I'm sorry you didn't get the position but she does make good points.
If it's a counter position, ultimately it's a retail position, and not about the makeup as an art form. :/

And I'm not saying you couldn't do the job at all, I'm only trying to illustrate the point that if makeup is your passion you may want to rethink applying at the counters.
ssad.gif

JGunnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
I'm sorry you didn't get the position but she does make good points.
If it's a counter position, ultimately it's a retail position, and not about the makeup as an art form. :/

And I'm not saying you couldn't do the job at all, I'm only trying to illustrate the point that if makeup is your passion you may want to rethink applying at the counters.
ssad.gif

I did tell her during the interview that I realize sales is important and that I do have a sales background (the 3 summer jobs I had plus working in marketing with music labels) and that I'm willing to accept the challenge of meeting my quotas and do not doubt that I could handle it. She asked me how and I explained to her 3 different ways and she said "Wow, thats impressive! I like that. Good thinking!"

We talked alot about sales and she seemed impressed with my knowledge and background. That's why I was pretty shocked that she ended up telling me what she had to say at the end. It was like she completely forgot about what we had spoken about before.

I guess I will never be able to work a counter because now that I'm living on my own and have all of these responsibilities I'll never be able to get by with a minimum wage retail sales job to gain experience.

ebonyannette

She sounds like a snob to me. To hear that tone after waiting for 4 hours would have been it for me.
Your probably better off not working there cuase she would just be waiting for you to fail.
I agree with the girls, dont stop looking. If this is something you really want to do there are plenty of counters that can use your skills. But again most places are sales driven. 6K a day at Estee Lauder? they can shove it as far as Im concerned. ha ha thats just tooo much darn make up. Their products arent all that "fun" anyways IMO. People who all want to look natural and the farthest they venture out is a smokey eye. Nah keep lookin' Lord willing you'll find the right place.

What did you go to school for btw?

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGunnar
I did tell her during the interview that I realize sales is important and that I do have a sales background (the 3 summer jobs I had plus working in marketing with music labels) and that I'm willing to accept the challenge of meeting my quotas and do not doubt that I could handle it. She asked me how and I explained to her 3 different ways and she said "Wow, thats impressive! I like that. Good thinking!"

We talked alot about sales and she seemed impressed with my knowledge and background. That's why I was pretty shocked that she ended up telling me what she had to say at the end. It was like she completely forgot about what we had spoken about before.

I guess I will never be able to work a counter because now that I'm living on my own and have all of these responsibilities I'll never be able to get by with a minimum wage retail sales job to gain experience.

I guess I have to ask, why would you want to work at a counter? Any makeup artist I've encountered has lamented it's not what it's cracked up to be. The perks are nice but it's just glorified retail. :/

DaizyDeath

6 k a day!

wow that just seems like a rediculious daily quota
alot of malls dont get that much buissness unless their in a very touristy center esp on the mid week days i could hardly imagine them making 6 k

personally i wouldnt want to work there.

JGunnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonyannette
What did you go to school for btw?

Nothing. I don't have a college degree. I was working on basics and dabbled a little bit in journalism, marketing and music. But, I'm going back now for fun. Probably to major in Art or Music.

Someday I'd like to go to MUD and get a Journeyman Certificate/ DEgere .. whatever it's called.

Quote:
I guess I have to ask, why would you want to work at a counter? Any makeup artist I've encountered has lamented it's not what it's cracked up to be. The perks are nice but it's just glorified retail. :/

Because I'm just starting out. I've only seriously been into makeup for about a year now. While I have progressed tremendously in that time and have fallen inlove I still feel like I have a lot to learn and would like to gain more experience and so I thought a counter would be a good place to start. Besides in Oklahoma that's just about the only makeup job available.

Quote:
6 k a day!

wow that just seems like a rediculious daily quota
alot of malls dont get that much buissness unless their in a very touristy center esp on the mid week days i could hardly imagine them making 6 k

personally i wouldnt want to work there.

Yup. I was kind of turned off when she told me that. I can't imagine anybody reaching those goals. But she bragged to me that the 3 ladies down there have been with EL for 20 something years and are the best in sales in the entire southern region of America. blah blah blah. Basically she was insinuating there's no way I could impress her as much as they have.

FacesbyNiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer

Whoa there nelly..
lol.gif
Any job is what YOU make it to be.
smiles.gif

geeko

woah that sucks. I'm sorry to hear that u've had such a bad experience with a EL interviewer.

Pfft.what a snob she is. Forget about her. I'm sure u'll be able to find a nicer make up counter/store to work with. Sometimes i've this feeling that EL is acting high and mighty just because they are a "branded" cosmetic. Pfft.

Let's see what happens if people stop buying their products...

shabdebaz

What gets me the most is that she made you wait FOUR HOURS before she saw you?? That is beyond rude. We have pretty high goals at MAC as well, but I can't imagine someone being that demeaning during an interview. I agree with Niki that any job is what you make it to be.