Help! I desperately want to work for mac/benefit/napoleon etc...

girloflowers

OK here goes...

I'm 16, I'm about to turn 17 and I'm currently in my last year of high school.
Once I finish I'm going to study makeup at either the Napoleon perdis academy or the Australian academy of makeup (owned by 'gorgeous cosmetics').

Thing is, i want to get some.. I dunno, practice in i suppose. But since i don't have any professional experience with makeup i have a feeling I'm pushing my luck, you know?

I'd give up my hair.. hell, i'd give up sleeping in a bed to work for Mac or Benefit! Makeup is my passion, it's expressive, you can change the look of someone just with a brush stroke, there's always more to learn and most of all- it's so fun!

I was wondering, do any of you girls or guys think i have a hope in hell if i apply at the local cosmetics counters or the mac store in paddington?

I want a job working for a cosmetics line more than anything, i mean hell, i want it more than i want to finish my HSC. I'd give anything to be a professional makeup artist.

So what are some tips? Do i need to get a portfolio together? Is it a good idea to wear all black or will just a little do? When i hand over my resume, should i be wearing extravagant makeup or just some pretty neutrals? How nice is too nice o_O?

I'll accept any help I can get!

Thanks in advance and I'll keep you updated as i apply
smiles.gif

lara

Finish your HSC first and foremost, and give some serious impartial thought in regards to why you want to go to a cosmetics college. They're very expensive in Australia and you really need to evaluate whether you want to do this because you know you have the drive to make a business out of this or are you doing it because you want to play with make-up - there's no reason to get $12,000 in debt because you think playing with lipstick might be fun.

If you want some basic cosmetics experience in the meantime, apply at the local K-Mart or Target in the beauty section first. It's not glamorous, but it'll give you experience in basic retail and you'll be able to gain some product knowledge. You can also try your luck at the local chemist working as an assistant (not a consultant) for Clarins, Bloom, etc.

Most beauty retailers (Mecca, MAC, Chanel, etc) won't hire someone under the age of 18, so bear that in mind.

girloflowers

Well, I want to work as a freelance makeup artist, and *I wish* eventually start my own line like Kevyn Aucoin...

And I know I sound spoilt but I wouldn't be in debt- my mum is paying for it. I will of course pay her back once I start earning proper money.

Also, I know you're a mod and you're more experienced than me and I know
I'm about to sound rude and I'm sorry, but you offended me just now, would I really bother to make a post like this if I wanted to 'play with makeup?' Again, I'm sorry but I just felt offended..

I also know a 17 year old girl who works for benefit, so maybe it's not all high end brands? *hopes*

Thankyou for your feedback.

lara

There's nothing offensive in what I said, it's just the plain truth. Lots of people throw down serious money to do a make-up course, then never do anything with it beyond doing their friend's make-up on Saturday night. Australia has the highest uptake rates in make-up/beauty therapy courses in the world and the matching equally expensive private colleges (and TAFE fees aren't cheap either, they can equally or more expensive) and as a result the market is absolutely clogged with graduates, so be prepared to go above and beyond everyone else to actually make it worth your while (or worth your mothers while, as the case may be).

It's great that you have a goal beyond working for Benefit. If you don't have any ambitions beyond front-line retail, you'll be burnt out fast because it's not a very friendly industry.

girloflowers

thanks for clearing it up, i guess im a little touchy ha!

well, my new years resolution is to get what i want, and i want to become a makeup artist and go above and beyond anyone else who i may be competing against. hell. my dream is to one have have an empire like mac.

it shall be mine *narrows eyes* oh yes, yes it shall.

i'll apply at the cosmetics counters at my local mall
smiles.gif

chocolategoddes

YOu and I are kind of on the same "boat". I'm 16 and I plan to work at a counter (MAC hopefully) when I turn 18. From what I know, you must be at least 18 to work at most Beauty counters. there are a lot of threads here that talk about how to apply. I'd say that you should just get some experience doing all your friends' makeup and working in retail. If you show how much you want to work in makeup, I'm sure any counter would like to hire you.

Let me tell you one thing first. My ultimate dream when i was your age was to work at Mac/Napoleon/Benefit/Kit any of them. But it is NOT as glamorous as it seems. When it comes down to it it is allll about sales and making the most money which is stressful.
Most of the time you wont get a job at how qualified in MU you are, youll get a job becuase of how many years retail experience you had.
When i first started out looking for jobs i was 18, had finished a Makeup Course, had 4 years retial experience but couldnt even get a job working for clarins at a dodgy chemist.
So my BEST advice to you would be to complete a short inexpensive makeup course (so you have something behind you) and become friends with a manager at a store like Benefit or MAC or Napoleon. Or even the newer companies coming out like Inglot, or Inouvi (QVB next to napoleon). Youll probably have to buy stuff from them to get on there good side but thats how i did it (it took about 18mnths).
If you are passionate and dedicated it will happen. It might take a while but itll happen..