help! i have dry and oily skin, what should i use?

daniela89

I have the biggest problem in the world. My nose is dry, like it gets dry patches that pop-up even more when i apply power. But at the same time my nose gets very shiny if I don't apply anything. What the heck should I do to fix this very aggravating problem??? (btw i have used every exfoliator in the planet, including the aspirin tip to no avail+ clinique 3 step)

jaclynashley

I was suffering with dry patches on my oily skin too.
Every exfoliator I bought did nothing or made it worse so I tried making my own so I could control the strength.
My favorites are honey and oatmeal when I have time,and baking soda with just enough water to make a paste.
smiles.gif

gildedangel

I tend to exfoliate in conjunction with using a deep moisturizer. Then after I apply my powder I set it with Fix + to get rid of dry patches. HTH!

Cherrymint

Here are three things that have helped me with the same problem:

1)Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing GEL *this hydrates my skin, but doesn't leave that oily feeling/look! LOVE IT!*

2)MAC Oil control lotion *I use it in my T-Zone to control my oily skin through out the day. It doesn't dry my skin out and is still a great moisturizer!*

3)Philosophy Hope in a jar *I liked that it evened out my skin *dry patches became moisturized and oily patches became normal* eventually my skin got sensitive/irritated though*

Hope that helps!
wavey.gif

Lyssah

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniela89
I have the biggest problem in the world. My nose is dry, like it gets dry patches that pop-up even more when i apply power. But at the same time my nose gets very shiny if I don't apply anything. What the heck should I do to fix this very aggravating problem??? (btw i have used every exfoliator in the planet, including the aspirin tip to no avail+ clinique 3 step)

I had the exact same problem. I started using Dermalogica Activie Moisturiser and my skin hasn't had any of the oilyness or dryness.
It's a bit pricey. But it worked wonders for my skin, everything I tried before that just made it worse!

frusciante

I also have this problem!
I've been using a microfiber face cloth to exfoliate gently, as all 'grainy' products irritated me terribly. Works like a charm!

jenee.sum

you cannot have dry skin if you have oily skin. they are the total opposite skin types. if you have "dry" flaky skin in the same spot that produces oil, it's not dry, it's just dehydrated (which is a skin condition cuz it's lacking water). Use an exfoliator to scrub away the skin peeling off and the dead skin cells, but then use a hydrator to replenish your skin's water level, instead of a moisturizer with a high oil content (which is actually meant for dry skin cuz they lack oil - that will just make your skin more oily). the exfoliation will remove the visible flaking and make your skin smooth, but if you don't use a hydrator, then you're skin's real need will never be met. then you're just gunna have to scrub scrub scrub constantly which doesn't solve the problem from underneath.

Go to your local drug store and ask for a hydrator. They can come in serums or cream formulas. I don't know if Sephora carries hydrators (they should), but some drug store ones that i know of are Biotherm, Vichy, and No.7 of Boots.

HTH!

joneskat84

Philosophy on a clear day face wash works really well, I like their hope in jar too but it does have a strong smell

mizuki~

Oily skin with a dry surface..my exact problem. What you need is an oil-free hydrating moisturizer. Try Shieseido's Pureness oil-free mattifying moisturizer or that Dermalogica one mentioned a few posts above. Make sure your exfoliators aren't too harsh too or that'll cause more problems.

jenee.sum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner
I have the same problem, flakey but oily nose...the greatest contradiction

i just wanted to clear something up so all you ladies can use the correct products on your skin to fix any problems you have, in case there is any confusion. I often see this misconception when I'm helping customers at work, so i just wanted to share it with you all.

Dry skin and Oily are the complete opposite, yes.
Dry skin is skin that lacks oil.
Oily skin is of course, skin that produces oil.
Dehydrated skin is a skin condition, which is skin that lacks water, and all skin types can experience dehydration.

You cannot have dry skin if you have oil production in the same spot.

Example: If your nose is oily, and you have "dry" flaky skin on your nose as well, it's not dry, it's actually dehydrated. Dehydrated skin can make you feel "dry".

In that case, do not get a heavy moisturizer (that is actually meant for oily skin types as it contains high oil levels) b/c that will just make you more oily, and will not replenish your skin's water levels.

If you have dehydrated skin, get a hydrator instead. It will raise your skin's water level without increasing your skin's oil production. Then, use a mattfying or oil controlling lotion to decrease shine.

I see too many ladies with oily skin come up to me telling me they have dry skin, and when they ask if the cream they have is good, 99% of the time, they have a jar of moisturizer that is meant for dry skin and laced with oils!

So i hope that will help some of you ladies out who are experiencing the same problem.

The Dermalogica Active Moisturizer is a good one for dehydrated skin, as it is a hydrator. So go ahead and use it if you'd like. I'm sure it's helping mizuki.

HTH!