Hey Guys~ I work for MAC and a bunch of my coworkers are insisting that I can r/o

tiffanygrayce

write off a ton of stuff on my taxes that has to do with keeping up our "image" at work, such as our black clothes and shoes for work, hair color/cut, nails etc., since it is in our job description to always project the MAC image...I think that while it seems like a very nice idea, that it doesn't seem legit. Any thoughts or clarification on this? Has anyone ever listed this stuff as deductions before?

xo
J.

basoo

It is probably true
yes.gif
ask your the person how dose the tax papers for you because you might save some money
th_DANCE.gif

gigglegirl

Not entirely sure about US tax law.

But if its anything like Canadian tax law--no (and there are many laws similar b/w the neighbouring countries. If say you worked at McDonalds/Wendys etc and were forced to buy those awful polyester uniforms, then you could write it off in taxes. Pretty much if you wouldn't be caught dead in it outside of work its deductible. Black attire and maintaining a hair cut/style/nails would not.

But check with your accountant for the final ruling. People may get away with it and if its not allowed, just haven't been caught yet.

AppleDiva

I am no tax guru, but I was told that entertainers can write off those type of expenses, so you should be able to do so. So definitely check with your tax preparer.

shimerglit

When I worked at a clothing store that required we maintained their classic image, the hiring paperwork stated we could write all of the stuff you noted off.

erine1881

i write my stuff off. hair and nails can't be written off i don't think since everyone gets their hair done, and manicures are't required (there's nothing saying that you can't do your nails yourself).

i deduct all:
-black clothes and anything needed for theme days
-shoes
-jewelry and accessories (wigs, scarves, etc)
-all makeup and makeup accessories i buy for personal and freelance work (we gotta wear it!)

the only problem with this is that depending on what bracket you fall under for tax purposes, you have a "deductable". most brackets have a minimum deductable amount. you must spend over that amount in order to write off your stuff. if you spend less than that amount, you can't write it off. make sure you save all your receipts just incase you get audited.

EyeshadowJunkie

my friend who is a makeup artist gets her taxes done at HR Block every year and she keeps all receipts from purchasing makeup, brushes... even the stuff that she purchases from beauty supply to do friends/family members hair and they write it all off.

MisStarrlight

As Erine said...makeup, clothes (that are necessary for work-you can't write off jeans and t-shirts), jewelry & shoes-yes
Hair & nails-not so much.

newagetomatoz

Check with your accountant and tax bracket laws, but I think if it is a "work expense" you can write it off. And if it helps, I have heard of people writing off things that are a far strech for work expenses and getting it.

But personally, I would go for it but double-check.

missmarkers

does anyone have any more info on this or has erine1881 pretty much explained it? i'd love to be able to deduct my work expenses for next year and i plan on saving all of my receipts!

thanks