How Do You Feel About Organ Donation?

YvetteJeannine

Please chose one option, then if you're so inclined, explain your response.

I am currently (and have been since I was 16, and always will be) an Organ Donor. My feeling on it is this; If I'm dead, I'm obviously NOT going to be using my organs. Why not help make someone else's life better, longer, more fullfilling? I carry a donor card in my wallet (in addition to the DONOR mark on my license) that states any or all organs may be used..even my eyes. Hey...I won't be using them! I'm going to be cremated anyway, but Organ Donors may also have open-casket style wakes..Nobody can tell upon the viewing (unless you're planning on a naked-open-casket!!).

Forgive my candor, but WHY let your organs rot or incinerate if they can SAVE A LIFE???? It pleases me greatly to know that perhaps I can help a teenager on Dialysis finally live a normal life...Or, maybe a Mother of three can play with her kids again because of my gift. Like I said; I won't need my Heart, Liver, Kidneys, Eyes, Skin, etc..etc...But someone else will.

Thanks, in advance, or your participation!

Hilly

Yes, I am currently an Organ Donor

I am also on the Bone Marrow donor list as well. I feel that it is very important to donate your goods when you're done with them
winks.gif

To me, it's the right thing to do. But that is just my opinion.

ritchieramone

Personally, I cannot think of a reason which would justify me not being willing to be a donor. It seems incredibly wasteful not to help if it's at all possible so yes, I have a donor card.

purrtykitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by YvetteJeannine
My feeling on it is this; If I'm dead, I'm obviously NOT going to be using my organs.

I was actually going to say just that! And besides, if you ever needed an organ, you'd want one to be available, right? And that not only goes for organs and bone marrow, but blood products, too. It seriously only takes about an hour to donate blood and plasma and just a little longer to donate platelets. Please donate...who knows your life may depend on it some day!

Nadeshda

In my country, everyone's a potential organ donor, so I am too
smiles.gif
I have also donated blood a couple of times and I'm on the bone marrow donor list.

Hilly

"Give the gift of life"

One of my girlfriend's dad had passed away. He donated everything. His eyes went to a lady who was blind. Now that is cool!

Obreathemykiss

Take whatever you need from me because I won't be using it! Can you donate skin too? Hell, even take my muscles, my ligaments, my everything! I am 110% for organ donation. If I could prolong somebody's life or enrich it in some way why hesitate? When I'm gone, I'm gone and organs are too precious to let spoil!

SkylarV217

I think it really comes down to people being to LAZY to sign the card....=/ and the sad thing is that most of the organs donated end up going to waste b/c particular organs aren't viable for the people in need at the time... They need to develop a way to make them last longer outside of the body. This is why it is so important for everyone to donate to help the chances of organs being available when needed.

talste

I'm not & it's not something I plan to do while I continue to reside in developing nations, I don’t have much faith in the medical profession in the poorer nations and have never come across the option to register as a donor on the various forms I fill out for visa's & residency's.

If one day I do go back home I probably wouldn't register for both deontological & teleological reasons anyway regardless of my beliefs as it stands now I'm technically not even able to donate blood plus I was a heavy smoker for 5 years and I over indulge on vodka tonics every now & then so I don’t even know if my organs & tissues are suitable for donation.

Don’t hate me I'm just being honest.

weneedaroom

Just so you all know, there are religions that are against organ/blood donation. It's not always laziness. I always make a point to donate blood, and I will be an organ donor, but my boyfriend is against it for himself due to his beliefs.

Divinity

I have always felt squeemish about the thought of my body being six feet under when I die. You know the 'worms go in the worms go out' song. Ick. I don't see the point of those organs becoming a worm's playground when they can go to help save or better a life. It's truly amazing how one organ gone bad in the body can really bring a person's life down or to a hault. A transplant not only betters the body, but also a persons's spirit.

*Stargazer*

I'm not going to be using any of my crap when I die, whether it's my Wii or my heart. Why keep someone else from using it? Seems silly to let stuff go to waste.

Nox

I cannot give blood because I am always anemic. My drivers' license also does not indicate "Donor" status. I am a bit afraid that if it does say "Donor", I may be seen as more an organ farm instead of a life that needs to be saved.

But if something should happen to me, I have made sure that my husband and family knows about my wishes to donate everything I can. I mean, it's not like I'm going to care one way or another after the fact anyway.

Ms. Z

I am for all organ donations and I would like to donate my entire body to science.
For me though, I don’t want to accept donated parts.

rbella

I am an organ donor, blood donor and marrow donor. However, I do not look down on those who don't feel comfortable with the idea of donating. There are religious reasons and some people just freak out at the idea of their bodies being basically cut to pieces after death. I can't say I blame anyone for that.

purrtykitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
I cannot give blood because I am always anemic. My drivers' license also does not indicate "Donor" status. I am a bit afraid that if it does say "Donor", I may be seen as more an organ farm instead of a life that needs to be saved.

But if something should happen to me, I have made sure that my husband and family knows about my wishes to donate everything I can. I mean, it's not like I'm going to care one way or another after the fact anyway.

I believe in most states that "Donor" status doesn't mean much. The family still has the ultimate choice in approving organ donation, so theoretically the family could go against the donor's wishes and refuse to donate. Good for you for making your wishes known to your family (both my husband and I have made our wishes known to each other and our families, as well). Many people forget that part and think their "Donor" status is enough.

Kuuipo

Every death is called in to the organ donation center in the individual states. I do this every time a patient dies, they decide from the info I give them whether or not the decedent is a potential donor. If they are a potential donor, they call the family immediatley and the family will say yes or no to anatomical gifts. If yes, the person will go to an operating room with the shades pulled down and a no entry sign for respect. Skin, liver, hearts, lungs, kidneys and corneas are most favoured. I have known people living and working with transplanted organs and they are alive because of someone's generosity.

anjelik_dreamin

I think that I'd be ok with donating my main organs, but I'd like my body to be kept somewhat intact...I wouldn't want them to take my eyes or skin. That's just a little much for me.