I Got a New Job! + job interview drama

nelyanaphonexia

I've had a great day! I just got a new job. But it was unfortunately inclusive of some d.r.a.m.a.
winks.gif

To start off with the first phone call to potential employer #1. I was calling, because they interviewed me twice last week, and said they would call me this Wednesday (yesterday) and I failed to get a phone call. So, I thought I would give them a ring and see what was up. I was hoping that I had just missed the call because of phone complications, etc.

So, I call, it rings, a lady picks up. She asks what she can do to help me and I ask to speak with the hiring manager by name. She asks me to hold, puts the phone down, and I can hear all the fiddling in the background as she searches for the "hold" button on the phone. She fails to find it and I continue to listen to the background noise. People talking, etc. I hear her return with the hiring manager, the manager asks the woman who is calling for her, the woman picks up the phone and asks my name, I give it to her and she tells the manager.

At this point I expect the manager to take the phone and I would be able to have a conversation with her. Not so. The manager tells the woman to tell me that she is busy and can't get to the phone, then the woman asks if she is going to call me back and the manager says she has no plans on returning my call! I was fairly floored by then, because I had been in for two interviews. So the woman comes back on the line and tells me that the manager is not in, is out sick and will try to return my call next week and hangs up. I was totally blown away. I was totally left with a dial tone and a couple of lies! I'm not sure if I should be as offended as I feel, but I would have rather had them tell me that I simply did not get the job! Common courtesy, right?

Anyway: onto the good part of the day!

I got a call from possible employer #2 and got hired by the sweetest lady! I've already been put on their payroll and can start whenever I want! I'm very excited to start my new job. Although, I wish I was working for MAC, I am looking forward to start my new job, especially because I get to work alongside other Art Historians and other artsy types. Yippee!
th_DANCE.gif

Also, I've started freelancing as a makeup artist! I've done some weddings and special occasion makeup. It is SO much fun! Hopefully I will continue to work with makeup, because I enjoy it so much!
yes.gif
Now I can feel better about applying for a PRO card now that I'm not just a freelance photographer.
th_DANCE.gif

Haha, funny, I think I've been coming onto Specktra more now that I've found a job, because hunting for a job in our economic climate with hiring freezes, etc. is a lot of work!
blinks.gif

Oh, and to add to my awesome day of finally (after six months of job hunting) getting a job, I come onto Specktra to see all the yummy things MAC has planned for the fall! I actually called my husband to tell him about it! He was like wtf!!? You are a crazy woman!
th_LMAO.gif
mac_addict.gif

elegant-one

That's great - you sound happy! And, you're probably better off that you didn't get hired with the first one.

I must say that whomever the first hiring manager was - shame on her for such dishonesty, tacky & unprofessional behavior! She should be reported to someone above her.

Boasorte

cogngrats girl, how rude of the first person. I would have called back and complained about that, that's disrespectful

gildedangel

Congrats on the new job! Don't let the old employer get to you, sounds like those people are jerks to work for anyway! Yay!

kaliraksha

Super super Congrats! I abhor that people don't think it's necessary to tell you they're not hiring you or they found someone else. You're just in limbo... especially when you think you did well on the interview. Regardless, congrats again!

nelyanaphonexia

thanks for all your kind words! I think I'm really going to enjoy my new job! I have also made plans to go to graduate school, and get my masters (eventually my PhD) in art history. I can't wait!

At the time I didn't think about reporting the hiring manager, mostly because I thought I was overreacting to not being hired. But on second thought, I might make a phone call to her manager, who I also spoke with when being interviewed.
yes.gif

ShortnSassy

congratulations on the job! i would never want to work for anyone so unprofessional as the first employer. you should def report the manager to someone above her. that is so amazingly rude. i would have called back again after being hung up on and asked for the next person up!!!