I have a bit of a problem/situation!!

Stephie Baby

I'm a big MAC addict! Even if I'm broke with no money, I always like going to MAC and talking to the MA's. The bad thing is, I don't even know most of their names. Lol. Anyway, today I went and was just browsing around. I started talking to this one MA and I was talking about how I use to have a hard time with blending bla bla bla. Well she said my make up looked awesome and it was blended great. Then she asked if I was a make up artist. I said no, I wish. She told me that I should come in and apply for an interview. My problem is I don't have a portfolio at all and I have no friends to help me start one. Lol.

So what am I suppose to do? If I do decide to apply, do I have to know everything like the skin care and all the names of everything?? YIKES!!

erine1881

you don't have to have a portfolio. if you do, that's great, but its not a requirement.

you do need to know about the product. you don't have to know everything about every single product, but you do need to know at least the basics, if not more, of makeup application.

and since mac doesn't teach you how to apply makeup, you need to know how to apply it to someone else, WITH BRUSHES!!! its one thing to do your own makeup, its a whole other story doing someone elses. and you won't believe how many people apply at my counter and have no clue how to use a brushes. yeah, their application goes straight in the trash.

if you get called for an interview, you do a full face makeup application, so you need to know how to match and apply foundation, a complete eye (at least three colors, liner and mascara) and lips and cheeks. and you need to talk like an artist, explaining what you are doing and why. this is why you need to know what certain colors do to facial features.

you don't need to know all about the skincare line. mac trains you on all the products when you go to basic/update.

so if you feel like you got the hang of things, then by all means apply for a job and good luck
thmbup.gif

Stephie Baby

Thanks for the help! I think I've got the brush part down. I don't think I've ever used my fingers to apply make up, even when I was in the 7th grade. Lol. I'm pretty sure I have the talking part down. I sometimes talk out loud about what I'm doing when I apply my own make up. My boyfriend thinks I'm crazy, but it really does help. Lol. I really need to learn about the sanitation part though. I know some, but not all of it.

Are all the demo interviews in groups? I read one demo description and it sounded like it was just her and her model during the interview.

erine1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephie Baby
Thanks for the help! I think I've got the brush part down. I don't think I've ever used my fingers to apply make up, even when I was in the 7th grade. Lol. I'm pretty sure I have the talking part down. I sometimes talk out loud about what I'm doing when I apply my own make up. My boyfriend thinks I'm crazy, but it really does help. Lol. I really need to learn about the sanitation part though. I know some, but not all of it.

Are all the demo interviews in groups? I read one demo description and it sounded like it was just her and her model during the interview.

my counter does all interviews individually. i have read on here that one girl had her makeup interview along with two other people. i guess it just depends on what each location likes to do. i don't think there is a standard format for it.

you might wanna get your application in soon tho. interviewing procedures have changed. all applications are send to the home office. if they like your application/resume, they do a phone interview with you. then if they like how that went, they give the okay for the manager to interview you. it up to the manager if she wants to hire you or not. this whole process takes alot longer than hiring used to, so get to it girl
winkiss.gif

COBI

As Erine1881 mentioned, appying makeup on others is not the same as on yourself at all.

You really should practice on other people because it is WAY different than applying your own. When I first started (just a regular freelancer not for MAC), I was an "eye master" (in my own mind)... but working on other people's eyes is so much more challenging. There lids aren't as large as mine or they don't have an obvious crease or they have no room above the crease. All of a sudden everything you think you know (if you've never worked on others) needs to be applied in a completely different manner.

Good luck.

Stephie Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBI
As Erine1881 mentioned, appying makeup on others is not the same as on yourself at all.

You really should practice on other people because it is WAY different than applying your own. When I first started (just a regular freelancer not for MAC), I was an "eye master" (in my own mind)... but working on other people's eyes is so much more challenging. There lids aren't as large as mine or they don't have an obvious crease or they have no room above the crease. All of a sudden everything you think you know (if you've never worked on others) needs to be applied in a completely different manner.

Good luck.

I've decided not to jump into applying right now. I'll probably get an application now, but I still need some practice. I ordered a few books, so hopefully I can learn more. I've practiced on my sister, but she has basically the same eye structure as I do. It doesn't really make it challenging. My boyfriend wants me to do his mother's make up, but she has mono lids. Thats going to be really hard.

The more I think about applying, it seems like its getting harder and harder. It seems like I'm reaching for an impossible goal.
th_dunno.gif

crissy22

Don't tell yourself that^^^

Nothing is impossible! Just keep practicing on different people, build up your experience and confidence a bit more and then you'll be ready to apply.

Don't think negative, believe in yourself!

MACisME

hey! u're from chicago? cool! me too... but yeah if u wanna prep yourself before you interview that shouldnt be a problem.. when you're ready.. you're ready!

chocolategoddes

Nothing really to add except good luck. Definitely practice. And observe people's faces and examine them. Yep, I'm the freak who stares at people and thinks about how I'd do their makeup. *sigh* but it'll help you when it comes to dealing with others' appearances

Stephie Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolategoddes
Nothing really to add except good luck. Definitely practice. And observe people's faces and examine them. Yep, I'm the freak who stares at people and thinks about how I'd do their makeup. *sigh* but it'll help you when it comes to dealing with others' appearances

HAHA!! I thought I was the only one who did that. I catch myself doing it all the time when I'm on the bus.
tong.gif

M.A.C. head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBI

Good luck.

LISTEN TO THIS WOMAN!!!

She speaks the truth.

Definitely practice on your friends for a while before going in to apply. I made the mistake of not practicing after being out of the field for a number of years. My own make up was great but when it came do my model at the demo interview
thmbdn.gif
Needless to say, I didn't get the job! LOL But they want me to practice and try again because they see the POTENTIAL! So if you have the potential, just practice and then give it your very best.

Good luck!
greengrin.gif