I need opinions...

Katura

So...Here's the deal:

I went through an interveiw and such to become one of those cute little NOPI models. You know, at car shows and such. If you don't know...look it up! haha, they happen spring through early fall just about everywhere...

Anyway...They liked me, which is pretty cool, and they offered me a job to go on tour with them on the East Coast. (Chachinnng! I get paaaaid!)

Now on to my question...

Is being a NOPI girl totally trashy? I mean, if you know all that I will (or should say won't) be wearing, and all the people there...blah blah blah..

Now, don't get me wrong, this is something I'd like to do. But I really care what the outside perspective is. I've heard mixed views from others, but I thought I'd give it a shot here and see what my friends here at Specktra think.

So what is it? A Yay or a Nay???

Shimmer

Look at it long term for what you want to do in your career.
If you want to do that kind of modelling or something similar, then ok.
If you want to do something later on that's not as ... "scandalous" ... you may want to think about it.

Personally, if you're an adult, and you're not doing anything illegal, immoral, or unethical...have a good time. But that's my .02. I'm sure others would have a differing point of view.
smiles.gif

amoona

First and most important ... if you feel comfrotable then go for it.

NOW if you want an outsiders view on it ... I think it's disgustingly trashy. Sorry for being so blunt but I'm grossed out by it ... I seriously have more respect for women who pose in Playboy which sounds weird because they're fully naked, idk what it is. I have not one bit of respect for those car show models.

This guy I know his girlfriend used to model at car shows and she only did it like 3 or 4 times, she didn't realize what she was getting herself into. For her it wasn't about the clothing it was about how she was treated at those car shows. The men they go to the shows have no respect for these women. She was under the impression that she'd be protected and nobody would touch her or bother her. She was wrong. It gets pretty raunchy and she said a lot of the girls she worked with were also pretty raunchy.

I really don't mean to discourage you or be mean. If you feel comfrotable doing it and don't mind the atmosphere then go for it. If it makes you happy you're really not hurting anyone.

Katura

I know I know! I just wanted to hear what yall thought about it. I appreciate all of your opinions!

Thanks for them so far girls!

medusalox

Go for it! I figure, if you interviewed with them, you wanted to do it.
smiles.gif
Don't second guess yourself. Just be careful, like others have said, men can be dogs.

Congrats on getting accepted!

Bernadette

I agree with a lot of what amoona had to say.
If you want to do it go for it but, be prepared for a lot of disrespect. I can say with a fair amount of certainty that there will be grabbing and an awful lot of terrible things said to you all day, every day.
I'm sure the money is good and if you can deal with the vulgarity of the situation then it might work out. Too bad you can't do a few shows before you commit to the entire tour, I think that would make this decision so much easier.
As a female that is just starting out her career in the automotive industry (I want to restore and customize clssic cars,) I asprire to be the girl under the hood, not the one leaning on it half naked. I admittedly don't have much respect for those car show chicks, but I know that everyone is different and everyone has their right to do what they want with their life and body.
Honestly, I don't want you to be disrespected and have to deal with shit-head guys all of the time. I hope that if you take this opporunity it's better than I'm thinking it will be
winks.gif
Good luck!

IslandGirl77

My boyfriend goes to Nopi events. I saw some pictures that he took a few years ago, before me. LOL The pics he had of the models they were wearing skimpy clothes and jumping on a trampoline and guys were just standing around staring at them. So, I think if your comfortable in your skin and don't have a problem with men staring or being dogs like everybody else said go for it. It could be a good opportunity, because Nopi is a big event. I do agree with Bernadette on maybe doing some shows first to see how it is.

kaliraksha

I'm on the Bernadette boat! I also don't want you to end up feeling like poo for a possibly impulsive choice. If you applied I want to believe you knew what you were getting yourself into and you were more than prepared to handle it. Personally for me, I would probably go home and cry like a baby and shower lots. However, I see nothing wrong with being proud of your body and exhibiting it how you see fit. Just want to make sure you are emotionally ready for it. You are not hurting anyone, just don't want you to end up hurting yourself. I admire women who are strong enough to treat these situations as a job- because it does pay well. In that sense- guys are dumb because they pay for this fantasy. I think it's a really fine line... because I think a lot of girls do it for the attention and I think you have to be disconnected from it... the way a mortician is from a dead body.

You are a beautiful girl and I would take this into account for where you want your career to go in the future as Shimmer mentioned. For example, if you will someday go into a field where image and your past is taken into consideration.

Have fun and be safe, whatever you decide =)

Raerae

Is it trashy? Your basically getting paid to be sexually objectified by men. So in a sense yah it's trashy.

I dunno... I'm like up in the air right now on stuff like this. I used to think doing something like that would be really fun, but now I'm like I dunno.

Katura

kaliraksha,
Thanks for your input
smiles.gif
Obviously I'm considering it since I took it as far to interveiw and actually read the contract and all that fine print, so yes you're right. I've modelled before and done a few promotional events and I consider myself pretty good in these types of situations. I think a big part of it when I've done things similar before is to be social with everyone, have fun with what youre doing, keep in mind that is is still work, but really look out for yourself. I really don't want to turn out 'scarred' from that type of thing. I'll make sure to watch out for myself if I end up doing the shows for sure. Thanks for your comments
smiles.gif

Raerae,
I definatley understand that doing something like thing basically turns me into something like that. I can definatley see the negatives in the situation, thats why I'm thinking long and hard before I actually sign the contract. I mean, I do think it would be a great time, traveling, meeting tons of people, making new friends, networking a little more to get more of my work out there...etc. But there are definatly two sides to the issue
smiles.gif
thanks
smiles.gif

Janice

NOPI girls are hot.

Network, network, network!

At the shows you never know who you could meet, always network. Make some cheap/free business cards with your name and email address to hand out to those you develop a good rapport with.

Demand respect.

Men will give it once they see you're demanding it and won't take any less from them. Don't be afraid to treat jerks like jerks.

Katura

I talked it over with some family and they are supportive.

All that's left is the boyfriend...hahaha, we'll see what happens...

Beauty Mark

I think you should take into account what you hope to do with yourself in the long-term. I don't know much about this kind of work, but seeing some of the reactions from some people, it may be damaging to your career, either in modeling or elsewhere. It isn't fair, of course, especially if you manage to command respect, but sometimes life isn't fair.

You have an agent, correct? And you've consulted with that person, right? I imagine the agency would be able to give you the best answer on this.