I REALLY want to work for MAC. Help?

pat

Hi! Sorry if this is in the wrong area.

So, I've been thinking and sharing with others that I really want to work for MAC. Why do I want to work there? I just love MAC, everything about it. From the color selections to the various products that they come out/up with, and the programs they have that give back to the community.

I've been so scared to even ask for an application because I'm not sure if I would even qualify to work there. I'm also very intimidated, the girls + guys who work there are flawless. haha..

1. I was wondering if any of you had any advice for me? Maybe even BEFORE asking for an application?

2. If you can, please look at my FOTD threads, and tell you your honest opinions about my work. What I should do different? My strengths?

I would LOVE to hear from MAC MAs because you guys are already in the business and know what MAC standards are. Also, all other advice are always welcomed!

I would rather hear it from fellow Specktra bloggers than an actual face to face situation. (I know I'm a dork) hahaha...

Thank you all!

BERFACE

hey girl, dont worry. i felt exactly how u do right now. but i wouldve never gotten hired at MAC if i didnt overcome those feelings. you never really know until you try. and i just looked at your fotds and u rocked them. just relax and be yourself. during my interview, i really let my personality shine through. be friendly, inviting, show them your eager to learn, a team-player, etc. im sure they will see ur passion and love for MAC. Even if theyre not hiring, fill out the application and turn it in bc i didnt get called in for an interview until 7 months after!!! lol. remember to look fierce and confident when asking for your application/during interviews/etc!!! and always remember to practice, practice, practice!!! good luck =o)

pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERFACE
...and always remember to practice, practice, practice!!! good luck =o)

Thanks for your response! Did you practice on other people often? Or mainly on yourself?

carmax

I just got hired at MAC last week and I start my training Tuesday so as you can image I'm super excited. But before I applied I felt the exact same way you did. I felt like I was reaching really high because MAC is the BEST and here I am, with no professional experience trying to apply. But I applied with the encouragement of my friends (I make them let me do their makeup) and some of the MAC MA's.
Berface was dead on when she said practice practice practice. I did a lot of what i guess you would call freelance work. I'm hesitant to call it freelance because I wasnt paid (aside from tips) I volunteered to get the experience. I go to Old Dominion University in VA so I volunteered to do the makeup for some of the fashion shows the school was putting on. That was great experience because I was exposed to the fast paced backstage atmosphere. Also I found a photographer and we made arrangements that when he would have open studio time I would come in and do the makeup for those who wanted it. that was great because in return I got professional photos for my portfolio.
I would suggest practicing on as many different people as you can for the experience with different shapes, complexions and all that.
Also, I tried to attend as many classes that MAC offered as possible. I've been to 3 so far and they are really great because the people teaching the classes are celebrity makeup artists and MAC trainers. You learn a lot of little things that really make a difference.
I looked at your fotd's or whatever they are called (I'm new to specktra) and they all look great. I think you would be perfect for MAC and i really hope that you apply because I'm sure that you will get it.
Good Luck

pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmax
I just got hired at MAC last week and I start my training Tuesday so as you can image I'm super excited. But before I applied I felt the exact same way you did. I felt like I was reaching really high because MAC is the BEST and here I am, with no professional experience trying to apply. But I applied with the encouragement of my friends (I make them let me do their makeup) and some of the MAC MA's.
Berface was dead on when she said practice practice practice. I did a lot of what i guess you would call freelance work. I'm hesitant to call it freelance because I wasnt paid (aside from tips) I volunteered to get the experience. I go to Old Dominion University in VA so I volunteered to do the makeup for some of the fashion shows the school was putting on. That was great experience because I was exposed to the fast paced backstage atmosphere. Also I found a photographer and we made arrangements that when he would have open studio time I would come in and do the makeup for those who wanted it. that was great because in return I got professional photos for my portfolio.
I would suggest practicing on as many different people as you can for the experience with different shapes, complexions and all that.
Also, I tried to attend as many classes that MAC offered as possible. I've been to 3 so far and they are really great because the people teaching the classes are celebrity makeup artists and MAC trainers. You learn a lot of little things that really make a difference.
I looked at your fotd's or whatever they are called (I'm new to specktra) and they all look great. I think you would be perfect for MAC and i really hope that you apply because I'm sure that you will get it.
Good Luck

Thank you so much! haha... I went to MAC today and talked with my MA that I always go to, and she said I should put in a resume since MAC is on freeze for hiring... thank you again for your compliments. I will go for your advice and do makeup on as many people as possible! Thanks again!

stacylynne

Have confidence in yourself & in your art. Confidence is key.
Get to know the MAC girls & guys @ the counter. Go in there with full face makeup (but not overboard) & show them you are familiar with the line.
You don't want 5 years to pass by & say what if to yourself. You live once to fill your dreams
Good luck & never doubt yourself.

giz2000

I agree with the suggestion to practice...especially on other people. It's funny, but a lot of the things I do to customers are not things I do to myself (super bright shadow, for example...I am a neutral e/s kind of girl). It's super easy for me to put lashes on a customer, but it takes me forever to do them on myself. I didn;t have much experience when I started either, just a love of makeup..go for it!

BERFACE

i practiced mainly on myself and as many as my friends as possible! and specktra really helped me alottt. read through all the bulletins abt the hiring process =o) and feel free to ask me anything