If you use Mozilla Firefox Browser....

caffn8me

It's probably time to make sure you're running the latest version. As of October 27th this is Firefox 1.0.7 - you can download it from;
Looking through my server logs it seems there are quite a few folks on Specktra using much older versions which may contain security and other bugs. Newer versions tend to be smaller and faster as well as more bug free.

If you're still using Internet Explorer consider switching to Mozilla Firefox on the grounds of performance (it's quicker) and security. It can import all your settings from Internet Explorer so you won't lose your favorites or saved information.

For a quick internet security primer see http://www.coffee.co.uk/security/

Sarah

user4

i cant seem to get a handle on it... i tried it and it kind of freaked me out a little cuz i felt a bit dumb that i couldnt work it...

vloky

At my job (tech support) I'm constantly suggesting people get mozilla, and because there isps allow such measly file sizes on attachments on messages sent and recieved if it's photos I suggest they consider starting up a photobucket account and tell them all the features and benefits of having an account through them. I feel my advertising training kicking in whenever I do this. I also highly recomend avg,adawre and spybot search and destroy.. sorta off topic, sorry, bored at work.
smiles.gif

caffn8me

Quote:
Originally Posted by vloky
At my job (tech support) I'm constantly suggesting people get mozilla, and because there isps allow such measly file sizes on attachments on messages sent and recieved if it's photos I suggest they consider starting up a photobucket account and tell them all the features and benefits of having an account through them. I feel my advertising training kicking in whenever I do this. I also highly recomend avg,adawre and spybot search and destroy.. sorta off topic, sorry, bored at work.
smiles.gif

A really good extension to get for Mozilla is Adblock as it can be used to block annoying Flash adverts as well as standard images and annoying pop-ups that manage to circumvent the built-in pop-up blocker.

rouquinne

thank you for the Adblock link!

every once in a while i get totally peeved by a pop-up that gets around my Firefox blocker!

caffn8me

*BUMP*

There is a new version out now - 1.5 and I've just installed it. I like what I see. Available for download from http://www.mozilla.com/ - I recommend the following extensions;

• Adblock - allows you to block adverts and popups (including Flash initiated ones)
  • Netcraft Toolbar - gives a risk rating for each site you visit as well as additional information. If you try to go to a phishing website it is likely to warn you

user3

Since we use the same browser, Caffn8me I put in the Adblock but I am still getting TONS of pop ups!!! I have the blocker turned on. Are you having this problem?

caffn8me

You actually need to tell Adblock which sites to block. By default it blocks none. If you get popups from a particular page click on the Adblock link on that page and it will list for you the components of that page which can be blocked. Popups often have a different originating website to the one you are visiting and a distinctive name which might include the word "ads" "media" or "popup" within the address.

With the address of the blockable element listed, look to see if you can see a part of the address after which everything will be an advert. You can guarantee that everything from servedby.advertising.com is adverts is everything from ads.adviva.net, adserver.adtech.de etc. Some sites only have certain directories which are adverts you might want to block - for example - www.nctimes.com/spec/liveads will be all adverts but www.nctimes.com/spec/ won't be. You cut off the right hand part of the address as much as you can leaving an address from which everything is likely to be adverts. For example if you block the pattern www.nctimes.com/spec/liveads/advert1.gif it will only block that specific file but if you block www.nctimes.com/spec/liveads/ it will block www.nctimes.com/spec/liveads/advert1.gif and any other file name from that same directory.

Popups will often be launched from a script so look for addresses that are blockable that end in .js (javascript) or .swf (Shockwave Flash)

Gradually you'll learn what you can block and what you can't

I hope this helps.

user3

hmm...I tried this but I will try again. I noticed on the feedback a few people having problems with it. So I might need to reinstall Mozilla or adbock.TY!

caffn8me

Just edited my previous post. If you block something and you find a site no longer works as you need it to just go to Tools > Adblock > Preferences and remove the site you have just blocked from the list

user3

Strange but I reinstalled everything and it is blocking just fine now.

I was having a problem using certain skins and the reinstall fixed that problem.