MAC Early Buzz - news on products for 2012

Mac-Guy

With all respect, but I have to disagree. The absence of Hello Kitty's mouth is a prime example of the oppressed, docile, and obedient female, a stigma that has been explored by many feminist scholars. HK was born at the wake of feminism, and not giving her a mouth was certainly intentional - and at the same time, a rather cute way to silence women. If you look into the history of women, the big issue is the silencing of women in all aspects of life, and even today, during the second decade of the 21st century, equal opportunities are not a given in many aspects of life. I don't want to start a debate about feminism and equal opportunities, but I want to shed some light on the controversial issue of HK.

Piarpreet

:O mine is big
With all respect, but I have to disagree. The absence of Hello Kitty's mouth is a prime example of the oppressed, docile, and obedient female, a stigma that has been explored by many feminist scholars. HK was born at the wake of feminism, and not giving her a mouth was certainly intentional - and at the same time, a rather cute way to silence women. If you look into the history of women, the big issue is the silencing of women in all aspects of life, and even today, during the second decade of the 21st century, equal opportunities are not a given in many aspects of life. I don't want to start a debate about feminism and equal opportunities, but I want to shed some light on the controversial issue of HK.

Babylard

I understand where you are coming from, but how do you explain Pachacco and Chococat who are male characters that are also by Sanrio that don't have the mouth design on it? I just wonder if people go overboard with the who feminism thing and pick on whatever they can. Did the creator of Sanrio characters really intended to do that and how do you know? What are the significances of the other male characters? I always doodle animals with giant eyes and a nose, no mouth, so its kinda interesting to me that people might be offended by it.

Quote:

Mac-Guy

I agree that there are certainly exceptions and you gave some beautiful examples. I might play the devil's advocate and argue that there are also males who are discriminated in our society (think sexual orientation, race, etc...) - for the sake of my argument, let's not even go there for now. I don't want to open a can of worms.

Do feminist scholars go overboard with some of their interpretations sometimes? Possibly, but it's a good thing to create awareness and engage in the social justice movement. If it weren't for the hard core fighters during the first wave of feminism, our world today would probably look very different. Probably less significant for me as a male, but certainly for the majority of females on this forum.

There is certainly no way to know the intention (direct or indirect) of the character's creator. I simply pointed out some feminist theories that are easily applied to Hello Kitty and represent an excellent discussion topic for a seminar. I hope this sheds some light on my point of view. I have nothing personal against HK. Poor girl, if I ever meet her, the first thing I will do is give her a mouth. I find this discussion fascinating, especially in the light of the Cindy Sherman promo pictures, who certainly would join into our discussion if she read our posts. How fun would that be?
flower.gif

Babylard

I agree that there are certainly exceptions and you gave some beautiful examples. I might play the devil's advocate and argue that there are also males who are discriminated in our society (think sexual orientation, race, etc...) - for the sake of my argument, let's not even go there for now. I don't want to open a can of worms.
Do feminist scholars go overboard with some of their interpretations sometimes? Possibly, but it's a good thing to create awareness and engage in the social justice movement. If it weren't for the hard core fighters during the first wave of feminism, our world today would probably look very different. Probably less significant for me as a male, but certainly for the majority of females on this forum.

There is certainly no way to know the intention (direct or indirect) of the character's creator. I simply pointed out some feminist theories that are easily applied to Hello Kitty and represent an excellent discussion topic for a seminar. I hope this sheds some light on my point of view. I have nothing personal against HK. Poor girl, if I ever meet her, the first thing I will do is give her a mouth. I find this discussion fascinating, especially in the light of the Cindy Sherman promo pictures, who certainly would join into our discussion if she read our posts. How fun would that be?
flower.gif

Oh yes, Cindy Sherman, please share your thoughts! If I remember correctly, Hello Kitty's mouth appears when she wants to talk though. She has a mouth in the tv show :D

MAChostage

Still OT but I must admit that I never knew there was any type of HK controversy until now. You guy's thoughts on the mouthless issue are most fascinating. The only thing I've ever found odd about HK is the fact that she, herself, has a PET CAT (Charmmy Kitty). I wonder what THAT says in some minds?
sneaky.gif

Mac-Guy

Still OT but I must admit that I never knew there was any type of HK controversy until now. You guy's thoughts on the mouthless issue are most fascinating. The only thing I've ever found odd about HK is the fact that she, herself, has a PET CAT (Charmmy Kitty). I wonder what THAT says in some minds?
sneaky.gif

Oh man, I don't even want to go there. LOL.
girlhaha.gif

Let's hope that MAC keeps us equally engaged in cultural theories in 2012.
peace2.gif

MAChostage

(Posting here because I believe the "new products for 2011" thread has been closed)

Did anyone here speak of any new Paintpots for fall? I attended a MAC Master "after hours" Class last night that was hosted by my counter and the guy conducting the class made a mention that new paintpots were coming this fall. I couldn't recall hearing that here but may have missed it.

bis

(Posting here because I believe the "new products for 2011" thread has been closed)

Did anyone here speak of any new Paintpots for fall? I attended a MAC Master "after hours" Class last night that was hosted by my counter and the guy conducting the class made a mention that new paintpots were coming this fall. I couldn't recall hearing that here but may have missed it.
It looks like there will be three paint pots in the Glitter and Ice collection. Did he mention any colors?

bis

Of course he didn't mention any colors!  ;)  He also hinted that MAC is considering a freestanding store in my area, which I would absolutely LOVE to see!

Keeping my fingers crossed that you get a freestanding store :)

thursdaynxt19

Here's another picture of the glittery lipstick tubes from the Meadham Kirchoff runway show.
I think they were really striking on the runway but not sure how practical they would be in real life. . .

Edit: Oh oh, I guess they were custom-designed just for the show. No need to worry!

HOTasFCUK

Ohh i would love a glittery MAC tube looking just like the regular ones....all black sparkles and then the middle piece all sparkly silver! Do it MAC!!! Or make them smooth plastic...kinda like the sparkly dame edna boxes!