MAC Store Cashier?

lilchocolatema

I have an interview at a MAC store for a position as a cashier. It's a store that is VERY hard to get into with less than 5 years makeup expierence. Also, this store is where the MAC Master classes take place. So it's a big deal. But here is the dilemma, I am already a freelancer for MAC, and I kind of feel like my position is getting "downgraded". I really want to go to basic training and get gratis and all that good stuff, as well as doing all the things I did as a freelancer, but I don't know if that comes with the territory of being a cashier.

What do you all think??

Janice

Hrmm... Why not ask the manager about your concerns? Let him/her know how interested you are in becoming a part of the permanent team. Ask him/her if the cashier position goes to basic & what perks does it offer (i.e. gratis). I'm sure they will appreciate you taking the time to fully understand what the position entails before going for it!

MisStarrlight

My store briefly had a cashier during the holidays. I don't think she went to basic (could be wrong though) but she got gratis & if had stayed long enough to get her staff card, would have gotten the discount too.

But, as Janice said, I'd definitely double check with your manager. If Specktra has taught me anything it's that policies vary sooooo much between regions.

I wouldn't necessairly think of being a cashier as a downgrade. You now have a permanent position (even if it's not as an artist) you will have guarenteed hours that, as you know, us freelancers so wish for & if you express to your manager that you are still interested in a permanent artist position you may be closer in line to switch over if one does become availiable.

calbear

Hey lilone ;-)

Our strore cashier definitely get's gratis but I don't know about basic - I'm off for two days but I'll ask her if she gets to go when I get back. But as they said above so much changes from region to region.

lilchocolatema

Thanks for all of your responses. I had the interview today, and I got the position on the spot. I work only on Fridays and Saturdays midshift. I found out that I do get gratis, and I can go to basic, but it won't be paid, I have to volunteer to go. Oh well, I'm happy anyway!

MisStarrlight

And you just recently started freelance, right? Congrats on the quick move up (and I think you totally made the right decision!) Good luck!

maxcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabdebaz
I had a store cashier in my group in basic training.

Me too! And she rocked...
thmbup.gif

lilchocolatema

Yep, thanks very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisStarrlight
And you just recently started freelance, right? Congrats on the quick move up (and I think you totally made the right decision!) Good luck!

astronaut

Do you have to have MU experience to be a cashier? I had an aquintance that worked as a cashier for I think a month and then she quit, and she didn't know much about makeup but was hired. (Come to think of it, I think she got the job before she turned 18 too. She was 17 had a HS diploma. Any info on the age thing?) I'd ask her about how she got the job, but she's in jail right now lol. I'd love to work for MAC, but not to the extent of an artist since I'm not serious with it as a career. I just love the whole MAC atmosphere that's all. (and gratis would be awesome!!!
winks.gif
)

diorgrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilchocolatema
Thanks for all of your responses. I had the interview today, and I got the position on the spot. I work only on Fridays and Saturdays midshift. I found out that I do get gratis, and I can go to basic, but it won't be paid, I have to volunteer to go. Oh well, I'm happy anyway!

Hey congrats! Does a cashier get the same wage rate or lower?
Also, what time is 'mid shift' saturday? 12-4pm etc?

Congrats!

giz2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgrl
Hey congrats! Does a cashier get the same wage rate or lower?
Also, what time is 'mid shift' saturday? 12-4pm etc?

Congrats!

Mid shifts are usually 11am -7pm

Bernadette

Congratulations, I think you made a great choice. As far as I know, cashiers are usually promoted to artists. I think being within the store gives you a great advantage because management has already seen your working habits/ethic. I think they will look within the team before hiring outside of the store, including freelance. You are considered to be more of the internal team than even freelance. You are a huge part of the cusomters experience. Try to remember to validate their purchases and share tricks and tips about products. I think management will really notice that. You can also be there to add to sales saying things like "Oh you're getting this Juxt eyeshadow, I love it. Have you tried it over Chartru paint to really make the color pop and last?" You get the point. You can demonstrate your sales abilites and product knowlege as a cashier.
I think volunteering to go to Basic would be a great idea. It really shows how much you care about being with the company, that you want to move ahead and that you want to learn. You can also make an impression upon the trainers and they will remember you and possibly report back to your managers. You should definitely go. It is so fun and you will learn so much!!!
Enjoy your new position!
thmbup.gif

FacesbyNiki

LOL

This was from last year.
lol.gif

She is still a MAC freelancer. She worked with me at my store for our Barbie event.
smiles.gif

Debbie

I'm not sure if anyone still reads this...but if so, does anyone know how to even get a job as a cashier at MAC?

I work full time in the corporate world, but I really do want an extra part time job in cosmetics---as it is truly a passion of mine and I feel like this is an excellent opportunity to learn more about makeup. It seriously isn't about income at this point...more exposure if anything.

In my college and highschool years..I've had about 2 years worth of cashiering experience. Any thoughts?

Latest posts