Makeup to cover acne advice (guy) (PICTURES)

madman

Hey guys,
I need some help with covering my acne. I am really clueless on where to start. I'll upload some pictures so you can see where my acne is at.

I've read around and I need a foundation or concealer, right?
Is it possible to cover it with makeup, it HAS to look natural and under no circumstances may it be revealed I use makeup, lol. Cause I know some girls that has acne and use makeup and it just made it more prominent.

1. Is my acne coverable with make-up, whilst still keeping the makeup undetectable? (I have mostly red marks, with and moderate actual acne, see picture)
2. What type of things should I use?
3. Brands recommendation? I have dry, flaky, sensitive skin.
4. Any of these brands good? (Mac, Bareminerals, Clinique)

http://imgur.com/a/dxeBA <- link to pictures, please note it's face shot of moderate acne. so if you are really sensitive, do not click)

Thanks beforehand, appreciate the help.

shellygrrl

Staff member
Don't neglect skincare, first and foremost. Makeup may help to conceal your acne and your marks, but it will never replace skincare. You need a good routine in place. Do you have a skincare routine? If you do, what is it? (Please list specific products.) I don't recommend Bare Minerals, personally. Some of their face products contain bismuth oxychloride, which can irritate the skin (which may end up making things worse). I also don't think mineral makeup does a good job at covering up acne. And since you have dry skin, it may exacerbate the dryness. I'm going to suggest a concealer. While MAC and Clinique make some decent concealers (from the former, MAC Studio Finish would do the trick), I'm going to recommend a couple of other products to check out: Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage (I've not tried this myself, but it's supposed to be a brilliant concealer for acne and marks) and Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics (OCC) Skin Conceal. (I use the latter for my own blemishes; it's creamy but not so creamy that it'll melt off your skin, if that makes sense?) A concealer pot or palette would be small enough to put in your pocket and carry with you in case you need to touch up. When applying at home, I suggest a brush; you'll get a more precise placement that way. The brush I use is the LY26 by Louise Young. (Just dip the brush into your concealer and scribble a bit on the blemish/mark, then pat it in with a clean finger. You don't need to take the brush with you on the go; you can use a finger to touch up if you need to.)

madman

I'm going to suggest a concealer. While MAC and Clinique make some decent concealers (from the former, MAC Studio Finish would do the trick), I'm going to recommend a couple of other products to check out: Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage (I've not tried this myself, but it's supposed to be a brilliant concealer for acne and marks) and Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics (OCC) Skin Conceal. (I use the latter for my own blemishes; it's creamy but not so creamy that it'll melt off your skin, if that makes sense?) A concealer pot or palette would be small enough to put in your pocket and carry with you in case you need to touch up. When applying at home, I suggest a brush; you'll get a more precise placement that way. The brush I use is the LY26 by Louise Young. (Just dip the brush into your concealer and scribble a bit on the blemish/mark, then pat it in with a clean finger. You don't need to take the brush with you on the go; you can use a finger to touch up if you need to.)
hey, first thansk forreplying, very thankful.

as far as skincare goes, l use to do cleanser, toner, moistiureizer but feel like they broke me out. lately i've been doing water, apple cider, jojoba oil

But now I'm switching to
Cleanser (have to find a good one)
aco face wash (ingredients below)
Aqua
Propylene Glycol
Glycerin
PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil
Sodium Citrate
Citric Acid
Sodium Methylparaben
Sodium Propylparaben

Aloe vera gel (moistureizer)

cool, i will check out that concealer, do i apply the concealer over the whole face, since my marks are pretty widespread? or do i need something more

shellygrrl

Staff member
You only apply concealer where you need it. If it's seriously widespread, only then would I suggest a foundation -- cream ones within a compact, in this case. They offer more coverage than liquids and they're more portable. NARS and MAC both do them, for example. Skincare-wise, try either a cleansing balm or a cleansing oil (google the Oil Cleansing Method for some ideas). Exfoliation will also help in regards to your dry skin and your breakouts. There are two kinds of exfoliation -- physical and chemical. Physical exfoliation usually involves facial scrubs -- some of which can be irritating on the skin. Chemical exfoliation involves ingredients like lactic acid (an alpha-hydroxy acid, or AHA), glycolic acid (another AHA), or salicylic acid (a beta-hydroxy acid, or BHA). Lactic acid helps with moisture retention, as does glycolic acid. Salicylic acid helps with acne. Since your skin is sensitive, chemical exfoliants may work better for you. http://beautifulwithbrains.com/2014/09/16/ahas-vs-bha/ I also recommend a spot treatment. Burt's Bees makes one, pretty cheap, in rollerball format. Or you can use something like La Roche Posay Effaclar Duo (or Effaclar K).

AnneOyer

Makeup can only conceal the problem but it cannot prevent or get rid of it. The important thing is that you know how to get rid of acne. Your line of skin care and your habit can cause various skin condition. You should wash your face everyday to remove dirt. I also suggest that you use antibacterial facial wash. As you know, acne are commonly cause by bacteria and an antibacterial facial wash could help you in getting rid of acne.