maybe i'm just not cut out for love, dammit.

kimmy

okay, sorry to keep bothering everyone with this. but i don't have anyone else to really get advice from because everyone i know is either in or has only been in screwed up relationships.

i'm on my first boyfriend, we've known each other for over a year. for 5 months, he refused to ever see me because he said he was busy and all kinds of other excuses (i found out a few weeks ago that the real reason was that he wanted to look his best so he started working out, etc...which kind of bothered me a little) and now we've been together for 6 months.

4 months after we started going out, he started talking to his ex (whom he was with for 18 months) on MySpace and decided not to tell me about it and i was a little upset because i don't think that talking to your ex is something you should be hiding from your current girlfriend. we got into it over that and i told him that next time he wants to hide talking to some other chick, or lie to me about another girl, we would be through.

about a month later, i was fixing some things on his band's MySpace and saw a whole bunch of messages between the band account and some chick. he's usually the only one besides me on that account, so i checked out what the messages were (i know, i probably shouldn't have but i was curious) and he was telling her all these things about how they have labels waiting on them and as soon as their demos done, they'll be signed and he'll be a big rock star. he was telling her about everything, and oddly enough nothing ever came up about me. BUT, he told her she should get all prettied up and come to this one show, funny since that was the ONE show i wasn't planning on going to.

i asked him about her and he was like "it was just one message, she just asked what was up" (which, btw, the first message was from HIM) and we argued for a while and he started yelling at me about how i need to "get over my insecurities" and just trust him for once. i said "okay, i'm giving you one last chance. tell me the truth or we're done" and he took that opportunity to lie about it again. i went and comandeered my phone from my mom (she takes it when he's being an asshole so i can't talk to him hah) and i called him and he instantly went into how i need to get over my insecurities. i said "do you know why i kept asking you? i kept asking you in the hopes that eventually you'd man up and stop lying to me. i saw what you said and i saw what she said. and it's nice you chose to lie to me about all of it, but from now on you'll do it as a friend, not as anything more than that" i told him that if he chose, i'd return to him everything he's given me (a diamond ring, his high school ring and some makeup) and from now on, he'd refer to me as a friend because that's all we'd ever be.

he cried and pretty much begged for about 4 hours after that. saying how he can't live without me and he's sorry he fucked up and...well you know, the typical stuff. so, being that softie that i apparently am, i said i'd give him another chance (as my sister said "what the hell? the last time was his last chance. they can't ALL be his LAST chance") but i genuinely want things to work with him. in my mind, i've already planned my future with him, with a house and kids and..everything really.

now, it's a matter of trying to put my trust back in him...and it's been almost a month and i'm still just having trouble believing anything he says. even when he says "i love you" i don't believe him. he says he lied to me because he was afraid i'd be upset he was talking to her...but i can't stop thinking you know, that if he really loved me he wouldn't have lied whether it would upset me or not..especially not when i gave him such an extreme ultimatum as "tell me the truth or i'm gone"

i don't know if i can ever trust him again. part of me doesn't even want to be with him anymore, because i'm so afraid he's going to do it again only next time it will be him cheating on me. but there's still a big part of me that loves him so much i just can't let him go..

what do i do?

caffn8me

Not cut out for love? Go away and come back in 20 years time and tell us what you think then. You'll still be younger than I am now!

Shimmer

Honestly babe, he's proven what he's going to do.
He didn't lie to you because he didn't want you to be upset.
He lied to you because he was intending to rekindle something and he got caught.
He didn't lie to you to protect your feelings.
If he wanted to protect your feelings, at the first inkling of anything other than casual communication with someone (ANYONE) he would say "HEY. I gotta tell you what my GF did today...blahblahblah...she's so fucking awesome...rahrahrah...Yeah man, my GF totally rocks." My husband does that when he gets flirted with and SLAM it stops immediately. Your guy didn't do that.
I'm not saying dump the guy, but I am saying proceed cautiously.
Discuss boundaries with your relationship. Tell him what you are and are not comfortable with.
Communication is VITAL.

Jaim

It's hard to say and even harder to do, but you shouldn't force yourself to be with him. If he's going to lie and be generally inconsiderate, don't put yourself through that. You're young, smart and absolutely gorgeous so don't ever think that he's the only person for you! There will be tons of other guys who will treat you with the respect that you deserve and really should demand!

Don't waste your time, feelings, and energy trying to trust someone who may not be trustworthy in the first place. It's always hard to break up with someone but you'll look back afterwards and see that you made the right choice and that you'll be much happier in the end. You should be with someone who doesn't tell you to get over your insecurities, you should have no insecurities! Well, everyone's got 'em, but he should make you feel loved and cared for all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
If he wanted to protect your feelings, at the first inkling of anything other than casual communication with someone (ANYONE) he would say "HEY. I gotta tell you what my GF did today...blahblahblah...she's so fucking awesome...rahrahrah...Yeah man, my GF totally rocks."

I do this. Haha. If I'm talking to someone and they ask what music I like or anything, I say "I like this and that, a lot of stuff that my boyfriend got me hooked on!" or something like that.

asnbrb

kick him to the curb.

He doesn't sound like he gives a damn about you or your feelings. I have to agree with Jaim in what he did was VERY inconsiderate. Is he really worth the tears that you'll probably shed when he does this again?

kimmy

thank you all for your input
smiles.gif
it really helps, alot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by asnbrb
Is he really worth the tears that you'll probably shed when he does this again?

that's the thing...i don't really know. usually i feel like he's worth all this trouble, but sometimes at night i'll just be sitting here thinking and i get to a point where i'm second guessing myself and wondering whether or not he is
ssad.gif

AudreyNicole

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE ANTHEM
thank you all for your input
smiles.gif
it really helps, alot!

that's the thing...i don't really know. usually i feel like he's worth all this trouble, but sometimes at night i'll just be sitting here thinking and i get to a point where i'm second guessing myself and wondering whether or not he is
ssad.gif

I am sorry that you are going through this, and it really is tough, but if you have to ask yourself if he is worth it, and wonder if he is, then IMO, you already know the answer. It is easier said than done, but you deserve so much more. I would walk away before he can hurt you anymore. If he knows you will keep giving him chance after chance, he will continue to do this crap. You are a beautiful girl! You could have any guy you want! Go out and find yourself one that will treat you like you deserve to be treated! Hang in there! *HUGS!*

user79

He sounds like he's into head games. If you're into that I'd say continue in the relationship, but if you're not, the choice is pretty clear. You deserve better than being lied to.

litlaur

Take a break from each other. If he really can't live without you, he'll cut out the bullshit. Maybe he didn't intend to be hurtful, but he obviously doesn't understand what commitment really means.

You deserve better. Whether or not he can do better is what you have to find out.