Me Again. Can I have a bit of advice please?

JGunnar

As I posted yesterday I applied to MAC on a whim ( my true dream job. The line I am very knowledgable on) but the day before I applied online to Estee Lauder. A line I really don't know anything about but heard that they were hiring.

Well, the manager called me immediately on Wednsday when she recieved my application and again yesterday morning to make sure I got her message as she really looked forward to hearing from me.

I don't have much experience in makeup which is why I applied for general counter positions for Dillards. I feel bad going in to interview knowing absolutely nothing about the line ... but, I've read in a couple of threads here that that's ok. They allow you to learn.

SOoo .. I guess my question is I know the MAC application process takes awhile. Should I wait it out even if I may never hear back or go on and try in with Estee Lauder. They are both located in the same department store right next to each other actually.

I'm just looking to get away from my current job as fast as possible, but I'm also looking to be happy at the same time. I think I would be very happy working for MAC. But, who knows Estee Lauder may be nice as well.

Shimmer

I'd go and interview with EL. Since they're in the same store, it might get you over to MAC easier than waiting out their application process.

JGunnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
I'd go and interview with EL. Since they're in the same store, it might get you over to MAC easier than waiting out their application process.

Thank you!

I was posting in the "Favorite MA fired" thread and thought about it. At my particular MAC location I notice many of the more mature MAs looking kinda miserable (My favorite MA always seemed like she hated the job. She still was very nice and did amazing makeup), the younger ones seem kinda snobby and have permanent bitchface and the manager doesn't seem to be all that pleasant. I can only count 2 or 3 MAs that seem very happy and pleasant.

Maybe this is a sign that this particular MAC isn't a for me since happiness is important to me right now. Unfortunately we only have two MAC stores. The other is way across town.

FacesbyNiki

I would say, don't settle. Go for what you want and be happy. Life is too short. But I do understand that the lady for EL called but you have to do what makes you happy in the end.

Shimmer

The thing to remember about MAC is it's a retail position.
You need makeup skills to sell the product but first and foremost it's a retail position with fairly high sales goals.

Beauty Mark

Try Estee Lauder or any other counters you may be interested in. Shimmer's right, it is retail first and foremost. You can use your makeup skills you develop anywhere to make a much stronger MAC application in the near future.

NikkiHorror

I would take the job with Estee to further your skills as a makeup artist first, and then apply at MAC in about a year. That's what I did: I've always wanted to work for MAC, but I wanted to be better first. I purposely applied for the job at Smashbox and have learned soooo much! I'm going to take my new skills and make my arse apply at MAC in February!