My Two Cents on Birthdays and Aging

MAC_Whore

I recently had a birthday. I didn't tell anyone at work, but a few work friends knew so the topic came up at work. When someone asked my how old I was, I told them 36. To which one of my female colleagues said, "Oh, you're brave to say that."

On another occasion a couple of years ago, a female colleague answered the questioning of her age with, "A lady should never discuss her age." I might add that she was a [sarcasm]whopping[/sarcasm] 32.

Of course people can do whatever they are comfortable with, but why be afraid of your age? I have always loved birthdays. Every year has been better than the previous. Every year you get smarter and you are richer from life experience. Every year you are more comfortable with who you are.

I guess it just makes me sad to see some people not realize that. The number doesn't mean much, it's how you live life and take care of yourself.

Did I sound like too much of a hippie there? I swear I wasn't braiding a crown of daisies as I typed this.
lol.gif

OK, end of my two cents on birthdays and aging.
smiles.gif

MiCHiE

I think the priest at my sister's funeral said it best: "It's not the date you were born or the date you died.....it's what you did in the dash in between." So true. I'm living my dash to the fullest. I'm 30, don't look it and damn proud.

Viva_la_MAC_Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_Whore
I recently had a birthday. I didn't tell anyone at work, but a few work friends knew so the topic came up at work. When someone asked my how old I was, I told them 36. To which one of my female colleagues said, "Oh, you're brave to say that."

On another occasion a couple of years ago, a female colleague answered the questioning of her age with, "A lady should never discuss her age." I might add that she was a [sarcasm]whopping[/sarcasm] 32.

Of course people can do whatever they are comfortable with, but why be afraid of your age? I have always loved birthdays. Every year has been better than the previous. Every year you get smarter and you are richer from life experience. Every year you are more comfortable with who you are.

I guess it just makes me sad to see some people not realize that. The number doesn't mean much, it's how you live life and take care of yourself.

Did I sound like too much of a hippie there? I swear I wasn't braiding a crown of daisies as I typed this.
lol.gif

OK, end of my two cents on birthdays and aging.
smiles.gif

I say - AMEN !!!!
smiles.gif

giz2000

I am 40...I'll 41 in April...I have absolutely no problem telling people my age. There's nothing to be ashamed of....I am in good health, look younger than I really am, and am proud of having lived 40 good years. Some people take the age thing way too seriously, and that's sad. Here's my thinking: every day above ground is a good day, so why not celebrate it?

In my house, birthdays are a big deal. Nothing is done that day except what the birthday person wants to do (except my kids have to go to school on their birthdays if it's on a weekday...doom on them!!), and there's usually a big dinner or other activity...followed by cake....there's ALWAYS cake!!!

I tell my family that my birthday should be a national holiday!!
rofl.gif

coachkitten

I totally agree. I am 26 but there is nothing that would make me want to be younger again. I am the "older" I get the more I am enjoying my life and becoming happier with who I am as a person.

redambition

i'm still on the young tip, but i do get embarassed about my age at work. people always think i'm older than i really am (i must look haggard
tong.gif
) and i get uncomfortable when they say "but you're still a baby/still so young/blah blah blah". a lot of this is when i'm a huge 3 years younger than them. um, that's not a big difference :|

i think that your age is just a number. it's not something which should determine who you are.

Chic 2k6

ITA, im 16 but i feel that people still treat me like a child because of my age, i dont think people should undermine others just because they're a certain age

Deirdre

That statement (about being brave) makes me mad! I'm 42 years old, I'll shout it from the rooftops. I may be changing, physically, but it seems to be external, healthwise I've never felt better. I may be getting older, but I'm definitely getting wiser. I'm also a lot better at cooking, thinking, driving, and sex than ever I was in my younger days.
greengrin.gif

I never will feel shy about the progression of my age. People used to be revered as they aged. Lately, with the advent of cosmetic surgery and other medical, so-called, advances, we fight age like a disease. The truth is, a vast majority of us are going to age, and die! So, rather than fussing about being middle age, I'm going to celebrate and live my life more than ever I did in my youth. I'm finally free of insecurities that plagued me during my dating years, I'm taking better care of my health, and have more energy, and I know more, process information better, and make loads more money. What's not to celebrate!

I like your attitude - women who can be confident and proud of themselves can provide a good role model for younger women. And then maybe, we'll all start feeling like we're worthwhile.

ilovexnerdsx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chic 2k6
ITA, im 16 but i feel that people still treat me like a child because of my age, i dont think people should undermine others just because they're a certain age

i agree! im 15, but hell, ive accomplished a lot and i KNOW im not limited by my age!
cutey.gif

IslandGirl77

I turn 30 this year and I tell everybody! I always make jokes like I'm getting old and stuff. But, I dont' feel it or look it and I really don't care who knows it.

Moppit

I am 42 also and I'm not shy about it. I tell anyone that asks. Maybe I'm so free with telling people because they always think I'm lying and that I am much younger. I have been dating a 26yr old that thought I was 28 or 29. I told him the truth and he didn't care one bit. I was worried since my daughter is only 4 years younger than he is.

Bottom line for me is why lie because I would only be lying to myself.

MAC_Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moppit
I am 42...

...I have been dating a 26yr old .....

Rawrrrr! Good on ya, Demi!
lol.gif
That'll keep you young!

lafemmenoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_Whore
Rawrrrr! Good on ya, Demi!
lol.gif
That'll keep you young!

clap.gif
Amen! I think a lot of it has to do with societal pressures on women and aging in general. Men get "mature" and have salt and pepper hair, etc. whilst we ladies are more or less chasing a best buy _____ date! That is what gets me. Biological clocks, and now we are advancing, I think it's such a lame double standard. I understand women not wanting to shout their age to a group, but if we look at why we conceal it, it is from external pressure about beauty = youth! I hope at fourty I have a 20 something, if I am single!!