New MAC Employee... Q's about the job!

Bonkisqueen

Hey all! I just got hired at my Nordie's MAC counter, I start training on the 30th. I have a few questions...

1) Do they have a general set of counter brushes that I will use or do I have to buy my own set?

2) Will I be getting paid for my training? The manager was so busy I didnt have time to ask while I had her on the phone :/

3) And finally, as seasoned vets of the MAC counters
winks.gif
do any of you guys have suggestions or tips for me as a new employee?

You are all wonderful, thanks a million!!!
smiles.gif

FacesbyNiki

1) They will give you brushes

2) You will get paid for training.

3) Just be yourself and enjoy. It's fun but also alot of work. I was at a Nordies counter and I had lots of fun and learned alot.

Congrats again.
smiles.gif

ash10spro

sorry to bother, but I'm looking to apply for a job at my local mac counter. if you don't mind me asking, what kind of prerequisites did you need in order to be interviewed? i just would like to know what they are looking for, so i don't feel totally stupid or surprised. thanks =)

NaturalSister19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash10spro
sorry to bother, but I'm looking to apply for a job at my local mac counter. if you don't mind me asking, what kind of prerequisites did you need in order to be interviewed? i just would like to know what they are looking for, so i don't feel totally stupid or surprised. thanks =)

Use the search feature.
cheerleader.gif
There are dozens of threads that discuss this in detail.
thmbup.gif

FacesbyNiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash10spro

I don't mind answering.

Know about MAC, that is a must. Know how to sell and apply make up. You will be asked to do a make up demo on a model that you bring in.

little_angel

since everyone else has answered most of the questions, i'll just throw some tips out there-

every time you sell a brush, ALWAYS sell brush cleaner... especially if you know it's their first brush. they NEED brush cleaner! show them how to do a quick clean between colors and explain deep cleaning to them as well.

since you're able to sell from anywhere in the store, especially in your department, always ask as your ringing them up 'is there anything i can grab for you from any other counters today?' i've sold soooo many tubes of diorshow that way! a lot of people don't know we can ring everything they need in one transaction.

start thinking about what products go together... always sell lipstick with primer. it REALLY does work. especially for bold colors. if someone picks up ladybug or MAC red, i always just hand them the primer and liner, and say 'you're gonna NEED this.'

always use fast response eye cream on your mature customers. it works like a miracle. your customer will love how it looks, and it is easier to apply color to their lids when they're slightly more supple.

be ENTHUSIASTIC! that's a lot of the reason many people come to MAC! when you get excited about products, your customers will want to know why you're so excited. it always came naturally to me, because i really do love MAC
greengrin.gif

when people ask what you're wearing, don't just say 'girl about town lipstick and bountiful plushglass'.... say, prep and prime lip, pink treat cremestick liner, girl about town lipstick and bountiful plushglass! explain all the pieces in the look, and let them know that they can recreate it.

sell lip conditioner to you customer's boyfriends/husbands. if they're standing around looking bored, give them a little swab of it and tell them to try it.. i tell them how my husband always steals mine and it's how his lips get through the dry alaskan winters. works every time!

work your personal book! get those return customers, your manager will love you. don't be afraid to pick up the phone and call your customers when we have launches. they'll be excited and feel special that you reached out to them!

always sell lashes and glue together. when people ask how much lashes are i tell them, 'the lashes are 11 and the glue is 8'. the lashes are reusable, and if i'm going to take the time to teach my customer how to apply them, they need the glue to even be able to do that!

i love working for nordstrom... it's an amazing company with lots of potential for growth. i'm having to put in my notice tomorrow and i'm very sad to go! have fun and good luck!

calbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamster
If you quit the job do you get to keep some or all of the brushes?

no - the brushes belong to the store