Non-limited color matches?

electra

Hey there.
Hope this isn't something that's already been discussed.
If so, please direct me to the right thread and I'll have this one deleted.

About two weeks or so ago, my mom and I went to the MAC counter at Macy's. Although initially I was only looking to see which foundation suited me most, it ended up being a makeover (note: this is my first ever in-person encounter with anything MAC.)

I asked the MA to do it as natural/neutral as possible and I think she did a really good job in both application and color scheme. Unfortunately, she used a shadow quad (and I believe a lipglass) that was limited. I really like the colors in this palette but I believe I cannot possibly get enough money to get this limited edition quad. And besides, what if I want to continue to use those colors? They won't be available forever. >o<

So I thought maybe I'd ask for some help in matching those colors (as closely as possible) to some non-limited colors that I won't have to worry about selling out for good (at least not now.)

She used an eye shadow quad called NOTORIETY (I think it's still listed on the site) and she used a lipglass called NEW SPIRIT (that I love despite my fear of lipglosses). I don't know if New Spirit is limited, I just remember her saying that. I don't see it saying that on the site, but I thought I'd check here.

I'm a total makeup noob as I've said before, but I don't know why...I just really like the colors she used.
smiles.gif
The blush was lovely as well. They were all very flattering for my skintone I think. Can't say much for the foundation right now, but everything else was great. I usually have a hard time trying to guess what colors suit my skintone so I want to hold onto anything good I find.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to help me out. ^__^

choozen1ne

Those colors are basic neutrals in the Notoriety Quad so they should be easy to match up , where you looking for dupes in MAC or other brands ?
I know there are some MAC dupes I just need to track them down in my collection .............this could take a little while

electra

Oh...well...just MAC right now, if that's easiest. I currently don't own any MAC products so I thought I could at least get 4 shadows. :| May not be right now, but when I get the money I plan on getting some. I like most of the things she used to create my look, so I may be willing to spend on something I like (especially the blush *love love love*) But I'm sure the blush is not limited. It's the eyeshadow and lipgloss I'm concerned with ATM.

SassyMochaJess

Well actually the quad is a good buy. The refill shadows are $11 each and the quad compact is about $4. I remember when I first got into MAC I never cared for LE products but as far as dupes I can suggest sable, woodwinked, folie and ricepaper. There might be better matches but off the top of my head those are all I can think of. Good luck!

electra

SassyMochaJess
Thanks. I guess you have a point there.
If you add it all up, it would come out to be almost the same price if not lower.

However, I still think it's best to find non-limited colors for when this limited palette is sold out (I have no clue when this came out so I worry I won't have time to get this.) I suppose that's just me being cheap, because I don't like the idea of dropping $36 on one small eye quad. But yes you have a very good point.

And thanks again for your suggestions. I appreciate it. I'll go check those out.

Lovey99

The quad Notoriety came out Aug. 20th. Like SassyMochaJess said, it is more afforable to buy the pre-made quad. If you were to buy the single eyeshadows in a pot at $14.50 each, you would spend $58 plus tax. Also, you have to think about if you would use the shadows in their entirety. I know that I there are very few shadows that I hit pan on... I guess I like variety.

Anyhow, I would suggest Ricepaper, Woodwinked, Mythology, Mulch, Sable, Bronze, Sweet Lust, Goldmine

electra

Lovey99

I see. Well it's probably best for me to have just that one quad. I don't go out to parties or clubs or anything really and since I'm a novice, I suppose going with safer neutral/natural tones is what I want to do right now (not to mention I have to be careful about how I apply different colors and things, since my eyes are rather small and deep set.)

And yeah, I got it through my head. ^^; I didn't think about the price of the separate shadows and quad. At least I could keep the quad when I'm finished using up the shadows. Maybe the people at the MAC counter can help me find close (if not exact) matches to these.

Again I hate to drop all that money on something like this, but yes it's more affordable to buy it for $36 than for $50 something. x_X Thanks for your recommendations as well.

Lovey99

Yes, when you are just getting started dropping $36 just for eyeshadowws does seem like a lot. I understand.... I was in your shoes at one point. Now, I am completely out of control! I say get the quad if you really like it. Since it is limited edition, you cannot get it later. You can always get something similar later, but the quad will only be here for a short time. Actually, the Notoriety quad is a GREAT beginner quad. It has great neutrals and there are a lot of looks that you can do with those colors. I bought the quad and use it when I am being lazy for school and and a rush in the morning.

electra

I see. Yeah, totally broke at the moment (actually I'm not broke. I have just enough to buy this quad, but it's all the money I have. Just made it selling an old game on Ebay.)

But I will consider it. Usually I like to get more for my money but since I don't use makeup on a day to day basis maybe it's good to keep around anyway. And using this for school or whenever I go out is just the thing I'm looking for.
smiles.gif
My life is not busy or interesting enough to use all the colors of the rainbow and I wouldn't have the time to use non-neutral color schemes. ^^;

(And BTW do you happen to know if other department store makeup lines will offer samples? I don't think MAC will, I know Sephora does, but lines like Shiseido or Chanel, would they offer them?)