Question Ladies!! Malm Vanity!!

abatrez

So I ordered the smaller version of the malm vanity online and recently received it. It seems very low quality. Like it is made out of particle board or something. I also got it put together and the drawer goes in, but is not even and then if you tap it even just a little bit the drawer goes back to far and is not even with the rest of the table. Anyone else having this kind of trouble b/c this is my first experience with ikea and I am not happy!! Also, mine did not have any trays with it.
thmbdn.gif

TISH1124

I had the larger one...it is okay but their quality is not good....I got rid of mine it is just not sturdy

Cinci

I have the larger one and I agree it is not sturdy at all. I have to be careful opening it cause it tends to rock a bit.. My boyfriend picked up some brackets the other day to reinforce it, so hopefully that will fix the problem...

that being said.. I do love it, even tho it is not the greatest quality. If they re-released a new version of it, with say, a backing of some sort that went part way down onthe back to keep it steady, I would probably re-purchase a new one and get rid of the old...

Mabelle

A lot of Ikea's less expensive stuff is made from press and particle board. You get what you pay for unfortunately. Mount it on the wall and use a few other l shaped brackets if you feel the need. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Lapis

The new smaller one does not come with the trays like the older one.
And if you read what it's made of on the website it is particle board.
Quote:
Board on frame: Particleboard, Fiberboard, Paper
Top panel/ Side panel: Particleboard, Fiberboard, Paper, Clear acrylic lacquer, Oak veneer

I skipped getting a malm and I'm looking for an antique vanity instead.

mochabean

My Malm does shake quite a bit too. But I reinforced it to the wall and no longer have any problems. I do notice that the drawers do not stay shut either. But it doesn't really bother me.

But I have a 2nd vanity that I also store my make up in http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10103168; This one is way more expensive but it is very sturdy! I actually like this one better!

the MALM I have is more for "show" rather than use b/c I don't sit at my MALM vanity and apply my makeup. But its true, you get what you pay for. Ikea doesn't necessarily have the greatest stuff, but its cheap and I like the look of their furniture. I get so many compliments from the MALM vanity when I have company over.

AngelBunny

I have only had it for a few days but I am LOVING mine! I got the large one and it came with brackets to anchor it to the wall so mine doesn't move at all.

The drawer stays in but goes so far back that it was hitting the wall and it was kinda loud ... we got some bumper pads and placed them on the back of the drawer and that took care of the problem. I really love mine ... we will see how it holds up seeing that it is particleboard, but for right now mine is remarkably sturdy and fabulous!

glamourgirl216

i love mine! regarding the drawers not staying closed... i just folded some cardboard from the packaging and slipped it under to two front corners and it leveled it better so it stays closed.

malaviKat

... IKEA stuff isn't the greatest stuff in the world, admittedly, but I don't mind it for what it is. I have a lot of IKEA furniture (hey, it works on a student budget!) and I've actually found that some of it is more sturdy than furniture 3x the price. :p

Of all of my IKEA furniture I think the MALM vanity is probably the least stable. The larger one seems to be built with the strangest of proportions (which, according to some people, makes it quite shaky). I have been fortunate that although mine is on carpet and not wall-mounted it isn't prone to tipping. It only really shakes if I bump into it with some degree of force or if I yank the drawer open/slam it shut. That said, as I've mentioned elsewhere, I can't stress the importance of wall-mounting this thing if you have small pets/children around because it poses a definite safety hazard under those circumstances. All told though... I rather love IKEA!
smiles.gif

(Unfortunately, the smaller version does not come with trays.)

MacOnMe

I have the Large Malm. Ive only had it for a few weeks, but mine does shake a little. I got mine on sale for $49, so i cant expect to much from it. I do love it though. Everyone that sees it, rave that they love it too. My only problem is, more space = more makeup! Im thinking about having it modified to have some sort of wood piece added from one leg to the other to make it more sturdy.

RedRibbon

I've got Ikea cupboards which look like the Malm but I think they're something else and they are the sturdiest cupboards I've ever had and I'm quite "violent" with my drawers and stuff and they carry a lot.

I seem to be in the minority though because nobody else I know has had any luck with them.

nursee81

i didn't realize that there had been 2 models of the malm vanity table. I saw one today at Ikea and it seem smaller than the pics I had seen here. has anyone had any other problems with the malm vanity.

Latest posts