QUESTION: Macy's BA & working at a MAC counter at Macy's

alixloring

Initially I applied online for a BA position at Macy's. I got an e-mail the next morning to set up an interview, and scheduled that for a week later. I went to my interview, wore all black just to be on the safe side, and played down my makeup than what I typically would wear. My everyday makeup is a full face and a medium brown smoky-ish eye. For this interview I did a subtle neutral eye with a little wing and false lashes. So I waited for my interview for about 15 minutes and the woman came out and told me apparently there was a mix up on their end with the scheduling and the woman who was supposed to interview me had left for the day and that I would have to reschedule. I was kind of relieved cause I was super nervous but I was also let down because I just wanted to get it over with, and I really do need a job asap. So I said no problem and rescheduled it for Monday. (my original interview day was a Friday)

So as I was leaving I figured I'd go downstairs to the cosmetics department and pick up a few things I needed to re-stock on from MAC. I played with the eyeshadows and lipsticks for awhile because it seemed busy and I told the MAC employees at the counter to take their time I wasn't in a rush. So a really nice guy helped me and grabbed everything I needed from he shelves and he complimented me on my makeup so that was a little ego boost lol. Then when he was ringing me up a pretty blonde girl was next to him and she said " Omg, I love your makeup!" and she looked at the guy and goes "I thought she worked here!" and then she looked at me and said "You should work here! Why don't you work here?" and inside my head I was like OMG is this happening?! But I was like "I would love to! Are you guys hiring?" and she said they're always looking and hiring and that they don't have applications but she told me to definitely bring my resume in and she told me the 2 managers names and the days and times they worked so I knew exactly who the hand my resume in to. And she kept reiterating that I should definitely bring my resume in, and she was just so nice!

I wasn't planning on asking about a job (that day at least) although working for MAC has always been a dream of mine. I'm extremely familiar with their products, the company and I've been using MAC cosmetics for years. Now I wouldn't say I'm a timid person at all, but I've read so many horror stories online about how intimidating it can be. And I know I obviously wasn't offered a job or anything but that really boosted my confidence that they thought I'd be a good candidate to work there! So I am definitely going to be dropping off my resume soon and I'm really excited about that! I went to makeup school so I do have a background with makeup and I'm confident in my abilities, but I really don't have retail experience. I am an outgoing person and I'm not afraid to talk to people and I feel like I can be pretty persuading lol. My first question is how are they as far as not having retail experience? I know that sales is huge and knowing how to do makeup isn't everything, so I was just curious about that.

BUT my second questions is, I know the hiring process at MAC takes a few weeks or months and at the moment I am really desperate for a job. I'm planning on still going to the interview for the BA position for Macy's. If I end up getting the job as a Beauty Advisor at Macy's and work there, while I wait to hear back from MAC, (if I do lol) is that okay? I don't know if that's a dumb question but I know MAC does their own separate hiring and I just didn't want to be like frowned upon if I end up wanting to take the job at the MAC counter. (IF I even do get it, or an interview) So I was wondering if anyone knew anything about that. Thanks for much guys, sorry for the novel! lol xoxo