Recommendations for YSL Glossy Stain colors

a5n8g8e2l4a

Hi, I'm new here!

I need some help with finding a new shade of YSL Glossy Stain. I am visually impaired and cannot get to a counter, because the nearest one would take a 2 hour car ride to get to. However, buying online is a bit of a risk.
001_unsure.gif

So I am asking you guys for help with choosing a shade (or shades
greengrin.gif
) to go in my shopping cart, or wishlist.

Now my lips are very pigmented, but my skin is very pale, so REALLY dark colors will make me look like Elvira. This is my foundation so you guys have an idea of my skintone:

My lips are very close in color to Mac Cremesheen glass in Strictly Plutonic, Mac lipstick in Shanghai Spice, and Dior Addict gloss in 613 Cygne Noir. My hair is now colored so my lips will also have to look good with this shade of haircolor:

The colors I've already tried and liked in the Glossy Stain are: 6 Camel Croisiere; 29 Rose Forreau; and in the Rebel Nudes: 106 Beige Anarchist and 107 Naughty Mauve

Sorry the lists are so long, but I'm really unsure of what colors I'd look good in.

The colors I'm considering in the regular line are: 4 Mauve Pigmente; 8 Orange de Chine; 9 Rouge Laque; 25 Fuschia Neo-Classic; 28 Grenat Acrylique; 30 Mauve Fusain; 31 Coral alla Prima; 43 Rouge Phedre; and FINALLY Rose Feu. And in the Rebel Nudes number 111 Guilty Coral.

I'd really appreciate your advice. Part of why this is such a difficult choice is that after the first 20 shades of the regular line, and the first 10 shades of the Rebel Nudes, there are VERY few swatches. If I don't have good swatches or good advice, I will have a really difficult time figuring out what to get. And at $35, I really don't want to get the wrong color.

Thanks in advance ladies!
smiles.gif

shellygrrl

Staff member
I don't own any of the YSL lippies at all, so I can't swatch them for you. I can only go by what I see on Sephora's and YSL's websites. Based on the glosses you tried and liked, you tend to favour peachy beiges (which, on you, would be considered nude or a My Lips But Better colour) and more rosey, mauvey shades. Nothing wrong with any of those choices. Mauve Pigmente is in the rosey/mauve family, so you will probably like it in person. From what I can tell, Fuschia Neo-Classic looks a little similar to MAC's Up the Amp (I do own Up the Amp), with Fuschia Neo-Classic leaning a little more on the pink side, while Up the Amp is closer to purple (at least on me it is, and I have a similar complexion to yours; on others it leans pink). And believe it or not, shades like that are very wearable on paler skins! I'm not 100% sure about Grenat Acrylique. Personally, it's not a shade I would go for. It's more of a brick brown-red, which I don't think suits me very well. Same with Corail Alla Prima, IMO; not quite suitable, I don't think? And if you're leery about darker shades, I'm not sure you'd like Mauve Fusain (which, on YSL's site, looks like a medium-deep purple). I could be totally wrong, though! I think Guilty Coral may suit you better than Orange de Chine. I think the latter would wear you a bit too much and would look better on medium-to-dark skins, because your skin would need that extra pigment to absorb the brightness. Orange-corals have brightness but not so much that it's overwhelming on lighter skins. There is a YSL thread in Cosmetic Discussion. If you want some extra advice, you can ask for help in there and link back to this thread. http://www.specktra.net/t/177730/ysl-discussion-thread

a5n8g8e2l4a

Thank you so much! I'll check out that thread and get Mauve Pigmente for now! And the other colors you recommended are going on my wish list.

ashievic

Hi, I'm new here!

I need some help with finding a new shade of YSL Glossy Stain. I am visually impaired and cannot get to a counter, because the nearest one would take a 2 hour car ride to get to. However, buying online is a bit of a risk.
001_unsure.gif

So I am asking you guys for help with choosing a shade (or shades
greengrin.gif
) to go in my shopping cart, or wishlist.

Now my lips are very pigmented, but my skin is very pale, so REALLY dark colors will make me look like Elvira. This is my foundation so you guys have an idea of my skintone:

My lips are very close in color to Mac Cremesheen glass in Strictly Plutonic, Mac lipstick in Shanghai Spice, and Dior Addict gloss in 613 Cygne Noir. My hair is now colored so my lips will also have to look good with this shade of haircolor:

The colors I've already tried and liked in the Glossy Stain are: 6 Camel Croisiere; 29 Rose Forreau; and in the Rebel Nudes: 106 Beige Anarchist and 107 Naughty Mauve

Sorry the lists are so long, but I'm really unsure of what colors I'd look good in.

The colors I'm considering in the regular line are: 4 Mauve Pigmente; 8 Orange de Chine; 9 Rouge Laque; 25 Fuschia Neo-Classic; 28 Grenat Acrylique; 30 Mauve Fusain; 31 Coral alla Prima; 43 Rouge Phedre; and FINALLY Rose Feu. And in the Rebel Nudes number 111 Guilty Coral.

I'd really appreciate your advice. Part of why this is such a difficult choice is that after the first 20 shades of the regular line, and the first 10 shades of the Rebel Nudes, there are VERY few swatches. If I don't have good swatches or good advice, I will have a really difficult time figuring out what to get. And at $35, I really don't want to get the wrong color.

Thanks in advance ladies!
smiles.gif
For me, the BEST all time nude for me has been 210 in the gloss that was released with the Leather Fetish group. It is the new formula YSL came out late winter or so last year. I have not tried glossy stains. I am 100% Irish DNA, super pale skin with pink undertones. So nudes, truly I look like I should be on the slab in the morgue with a toe tag....this one, is just perfect !!!! Yes, I purchased a spare, which I rarely ever do. I also love the new one click glosses from Chanel. Again, you can control the intensity of the color. #20 I did pass on, and then went back for it. On me, it has soft undertones of pink/burgundy, not the look of baby poo it looks like!!!! It is a darker nude, again, you control if it appears to be a darker nude or more color of a burgundy/brown/pink tone. Hope this helps. So many glosses so little time !!!!

katred

Specktra Bestie
If you want something a little bit brighter, but not overwhelming on pale skin, one of my very favourite lip colours is Fuchsia Tomboy (104) from the Rebel Nudes collection. It isn't nude, but it's not a full-on fuchsia either. Here's a pic on me (about NC15):