Sephora

xsmittyxo

Yesterday was my 21st birthday and i decided i wanted to do a little make up shopping so i went to somerset and planned on going to the MAC store and Sephora, while i was in Sephora the sales women was following me around every where as if i was going to steal, she didnt ask me for help or anything, i found it very rude so i decided to leave.

After that i went to the MAC store and everyone in there was super helpful and nice, i now have mixed feelings for Sephora.

smh28

So far all my Sephora experiences have been very positive. That is unfortunate you had that happen. Hopefully that was just a one time experinece.
MAC is great though. I always find the MA's to be very friendly and helpful.
smiles.gif

effboysinthebut

I defended Sephora in the last post like this, however the next time I went to Sephora my friend and I were both followed around. She also yelled across the store to call Security. It was unbelieveable. I emailed sephora about it.

The funny thing is that we stopped at the MAC counter in that city and used our employee discounts. So she knew we worked for MAC. Why of all the people we would be suspected of stealing is beyond me. I haven't been back to the sephora store since.

TDoll

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience.
ssad.gif
But I feel your frustration...

I've had very similar experiences with Sephora...as well as several other people I know. It seems as though they've built a negative reputation with their customer service. I realize there are probably people that work at Sephora that don't give their customers this experience, but it just really puts me off. As someone who has worked customer service/retail jobs for years in the past, I just have no patience for it. Mainly because they are there to help us, the customer. We go to stores like that to get service from them and to be treated with respect as someone willing to pay good money in their stores. Not to be made to feel uncomfortable or that we're doing a disservice to them by stepping foot in the store because they feel the need to watch us like hawks.

I guess I'm just more sensitive to it because I've worked retail in the past and know when I'm being looked at funny or followed. However, my mother, who has never worked retail or customer service, could be with me experiencing the same thing, and she would never notice maybe because she doesn't know what to look for. lol..She did get really pissed off once though because people were staring at us...I mean damn...that stuff is impossible to NOT notice...

I've been to several Sephoras around where I live, and I've had similar experiences at every one. And hearing similar stories from my friends and family and then from people on here...they're obviously doing something wrong. It's a shame because I really like the store itself.

Lauren1981

i've never been followed around in sephora but my main problem was that in two different stores they didn't greet me or ask if i needed help. at all........ i was a little put off by it. i still shopped and bought some stuff but damn! lol! it's like all they do is supervise, ya know?
but who knows, maybe it's just those two. now the one i used to go to whenever i was in cali (out at santa monica) was great. everyone was nice and they were very eager to help

blindpassion

Ive been to sephora twice and experienced the same thing.

Im not a fan of their customer service.
Of course, thats not to say there isnt some great people who work there,
but in my experience, Ive had some bad visits.

Jaim

They must have so much theft there though, with everything being out in the open. I wouldn't care if anyone followed me around at Sephora because they're just trying to protect their merchandise.

ClaireAvril

Sometimes its just the associates.. they don't know how to probably assist customers to make the customer feel comfortable along with keeping an eye on them to see if the customer can be assisted. That type of position requires skill, not all people can do it. I hate when the MA's say can I help you and I say no I'm okay and then they just stand there and watch you. They want the sale.. but most of the time they just make you feel uncomfortable and you just want to leave.. therefore they lose the sale.
When they do that I just tell them sternly - I am fine.. I will let you know when I need help (kinda with a LEAVE ME ALONE tone in my voice)

Beauty Mark

I've had bad visits at Sephora, MAC, etc.

Quote:
The funny thing is that we stopped at the MAC counter in that city and used our employee discounts. So she knew we worked for MAC. Why of all the people we would be suspected of stealing is beyond me. I haven't been back to the sephora store since.

Winona Ryder stole. I don't agree with following people around without reasonable suspicion (like seeing you take something out of the package and slip it in your pocket), but plenty of people steal who really have no reason to

Lauren1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty Mark
I've had bad visits at Sephora, MAC, etc.

Winona Ryder stole. I don't agree with following people around without reasonable suspicion (like seeing you take something out of the package and slip it in your pocket), but plenty of people steal who really have no reason to

that is such a good point. even though it sux like hell to be followed around
thmbdn.gif
ANYBODY is capable of stealing. i know i'm still wondering why wynona stole
th_dunno.gif

BUT i love sephora and no matter what, even if store experiences get out of hand there's still online shopping. they can't be rude on the internet. lol!!
winkiss.gif

serenabena

Okay, the other day i went into sephora and asked this older woman (maybe 50) for an app, and she looked me up and down and said "oh you have to be 18 to work here" like, really snotty. And I said, um i'm 21. And she said "oh well do you have experience?" And i said no. They she said i couldnt work there because i had no experience. And i asked for an app anyways, and turned it in the next day. She looked PISSED. I find out soon if i got the job or not
smiles.gif

Sikfrmthemirror

So your birthdays september 2nd? mine too and i turned 21 as well. sorry is this isnt related to your topic I just read that first and had to reply! do you know what time you were born? hahaha we could be kindred souls.

NicksWifey

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience at Sephora. There is one Sephora that will remain nameless where the people are usually really cold & very unhelpful. However, there is another Sephora that's in a mall not too far from that one and I went there on Black Friday once and received excellent service. I just wish it wasn't so far away, cause I would visit there more often.

I just think there are people out there who have no business being in customer service. No, the customer isn't always right, but at least make them feel like they are. I'm not saying that in your case, just stating. It's horrible to see people in customer service who are there to help you, be rude for no reason. I always get so agitated whenever I get treated badly by someone in customer service, you just feel like telling them to get a new job since they suck at their current one.

elektra513

I've had a handful of horrible experiences at Sephora. As much dough as I've dropped in their store...smh. It's a shame. I'm embracing the online shopping experience as a result. I just refuse to have another SA from Sephora either follow me around with no intention to actually help OR when I do ask for help talk down to me like I am an idiot and don't know anything about beauty. No thanks.

Kuuipo

I have had only good experiences in Sephora. I do go there weekly, I guess its like a religon. I don't get followed, unless I am seen by associates who know me and like to socialize. They will even tell me where to get things they don't have that I need.
Many stores profile me-I have tattooed arms and am kinda butch looking till they see my face.'
I also never carry a pocketbook, sometimes I carry a mesh bag.
Sephora has a lot of traffic and a lot of theft and destruction of their testers- I have seen people crush eyeshadows, smoosh lipsticks, etc.

liv

That sucks you had a crappy experience. I don't bother with purchasing (even if I intended to) when SA's are unconscionably rude. Recently I went to the Shiseido counter, and the woman looked at me and said shrill voice, "Can I help you?" and looked at me like I was a 5 year old smushing lipsticks into the counter. =/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaim
They must have so much theft there though, with everything being out in the open. I wouldn't care if anyone followed me around at Sephora because they're just trying to protect their merchandise.

I totally disagree with this. Most stores have a policy where you cannot outright accuse someone of stealing, and if you do see them put something in their bag, you can only use neutral words/phrases, like if they stole a yellow sweater, you would say, "Hey, that skirt you are looking at would look great with this yellow sweater we have over here..." I had a friend who worked at Gap, and this was their policy.

I've never stolen anything from a store in my life (I'm almost 21), and I would really resent being followed around like a thief. Their first concern should be customer service, not patrolling the aisles for potential thiefs. Most retail stores have high shoplifting rates, and often the internal theft by employees is worse.

TDoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv
That sucks you had a crappy experience. I don't bother with purchasing (even if I intended to) when SA's are unconscionably rude. Recently I went to the Shiseido counter, and the woman looked at me and said shrill voice, "Can I help you?" and looked at me like I was a 5 year old smushing lipsticks into the counter. =/

I totally agree...It just makes you want to not buy anything! You think they'd put two and two together and realize that they'd have bigger sales if they would be nice to people and keep them coming back for a good experience!

The best experience at a Sephora I've ever had was at one in Vegas. I ended up buying a lot because I felt at ease to shop and wasn't pissed off the entire time or was made to feel uncomfortable. Unfortunately, that's on the other side of the freakin country for me...but if it was close by I would shop primarily at that store only.
I live near about 4 Sephoras and have had sucky experiences at all of them. So I dread having to shop at any of them
ssad.gif
. It totally shouldn't be like that.

MacAddict_Sami

I've had some seriously annoying experiences at Sephora. I find that some of them really do follow you around and don't even bother to ask if you need help. But I cannot say this about all of them. I have recently started going to another Sephora which is a little out of my way by the people in there are SOOO helpful and they really know their products. I LOVE IT!!! What I love most is that they leave the customers to play with the product but as soon as you have a question they are their to help. Needless to have I never going into the other one anymore.

elektra513

I just got back from Sephora, and this is the last time I will ever shop there! I've had worse experiences before but I just don't want to deal with it anymore
thmbdn.gif

Another instance where I have to chase someone down to get a question answered, and it seemed like the chick was being inconvenienced. Then later another woman talked to me like I was 3 y/o because I was looking at the eyelash curlers (see the Shu thread). Ok yes, I took the product out of the box, but to compare the size against another one. I wasn't using them on my eyes!! Ugh. The woman then snatched them out of my hand and said, "Ugh, I have to damage these out now." In an attempt to get some assistance, I said, "I"m looking to see which one is a better fit for my eye shape". Then she says "Shu is the best. That's it. You can see the tester set out over there somewhere." Pointing in an obscure direction. And just stares at me. My response: "I just came from where the other curlers are and there was no tester". She replies, "It's over there somewhere." And continues to stand there and stare at me. I felt like I'd mushed crayons all over the wall or something. Ok, I want to cancel out all my Beauty Insider points and delete any tracking info they have on me. I shouldn't go into a store expecting to get customer dis-service every single time I go.

Ok, Sephora, you get ppl who steal. I understand. But shrink control aside, the product knowledge is sub-par and disgusting, and the niceties of smiling at customers who enter the store rather than eyeing everyone who comes in as if they are gonna filch all your precious product is just plain lost.

Online shopping, here I come...