Shopping for MAc outfits.

chocolategoddes

I hope this is the right place to post this and that there isn't another thread like this already. If there is could you give me a link?

So, If you were given $500 to shop for basic clothes for working at MAC, what staples would you get. Obviously, they'd all be black.

ex. black ballet flats
black turtle neck sweater

Basically, what things do you recommend a girl (or guy) who just got a job at MAC but doesn't really have a lot of all black peices buys that would be appropriate for her (or his) position as a MAC employee?

Hope that isn't too confusing.
yes.gif

MisStarrlight

A black dress
A belt (or two)
Accessories!! (This was always my down fall)
A pair of cute Aerosoles
A pair of black jeans (they just changed the dress code to allow these!)
A pair of boots
a bunch of Satin/lace/cute cut shirts
A pair of tailored black pants
A pair of gauchos/capris
Black blazer

Overall you want to find things that are comfortable, but not made of cotton (they fade too fast...or you could always dye them like I did)....things that are classic & can be made trendy w/ accessories & 1 or 2 pieces a season that are trendy, but versatile.

lara

I'll assume this is US dollars, cause Australian $500 ain't going to get me too far! That's one pair of jeans, one pair of shoes and a very basic shirt!

Actually, screw the budget. This is over $500, but it's a complete working wardrobe. I can get a fulltime week out of this (plus at least one event and/or non-profile work event) without needing to do a workwear wash, and certain things like jeans and pants can usually go for two or three wears before washing.

2 pairs of black cigarette jeans
2 black collared short-sleeved shirts
At least one 1 black dress (I like 60's style tunics and 50's nipped dresses, anything with short or no sleeves)
1 pair black shin-length pants
2 dressier black tops
1 black cardigan or shrug
1 black circle skirt
2 black cap-sleeved tees
2 pairs of black ballet flats
1 black on black low-cut Converse
2 or 3 pieces of inexpensive but classy statement accessories/jewellery . I wear close-fitting stretchy bracelets because they don't slide down your arm and hit the customer during a make-over (!), and avoid necklaces as much as possible. Keep away from anything dangly, noisy or generally too attention-grabbing for the wrong reasons.

My golden rule is always go without sleeves because you can always layer up, but there's nothing worse than being overdressed - cosmetics floors are almost always universally overheated. I also wear cotton religiously and avoid polyester and nylon as much as possible. Black cotton fades, but it's so easy to dye and is just so, so, so much cooler to wear. You need to be stylish, but comfort is just as important.

...and keep some baby wipes to keep in your make-up bag when its hidden behind the counter. Trust me on this. Your clothes will thank you for it later.

ms.marymac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisStarrlight
A black dress
A belt (or two)
Accessories!! (This was always my down fall)
A pair of cute Aerosoles
A pair of black jeans (they just changed the dress code to allow these!)
A pair of boots
a bunch of Satin/lace/cute cut shirts
A pair of tailored black pants
A pair of gauchos/capris
Black blazer

Overall you want to find things that are comfortable, but not made of cotton (they fade too fast...or you could always dye them like I did)....things that are classic & can be made trendy w/ accessories & 1 or 2 pieces a season that are trendy, but versatile.

What, what, what!?

Oh, and Lara...I would be in heaven if they would let us wear black on black converse!

maxcat

Whatever you do, get the Black Woolite and wash your MAC stuff in it religiously. It really does help preserve black cottons.
Also, move to Australia and hang with Lara as I have not heard boo about running shoes (i.e. ask first.)
Le sigh...

chocolategoddes

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeknee
Aren't you 16? You can't work at MAC until you are 18.

Well, I know that! I'm just planning ahead.
smiles.gif

chocolategoddes

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacesbyNiki
Girl, you can't plan ahead with MAC. They change stuff around every few months. LOL

Awww, shit! lmao

erine1881

we're allowed to wear black jeans, but we can no longer wear tennis/running shoes. sorry converse lovers
ssad.gif