Snowboarding

Bernadette

So I'm going snowboarding for my first time this weekend. I'll be in Mammoth CA fri-mon.
I need some advice on what to wear underneath the snowboard pants. I'm going to wear some thermals and then I was thinking some fleece work-out type of pants from American Apparel (one of my best friends is a manager there so I'm going shopping tomorrow.)
I know that my pants might end up a little wet but i want something semi-warm that I can still move in.
Any suggestions? Anything else I need to pack?
I'm so excited, I love the cold and the snow and it's snowing there tonight and tomorrow
clap.gif
Oh and I'm totally going to a sporting goods store tomorrow and buying some "ass pads"
cutey.gif
!

stephbunny

eee!! I'm going snowboarding this weekend too! I can't wait! It's going to be my 3rd time (so basically i'll still be a newbie, and on the bunny slopes i'm sure). I got some great advice for my first time, so I'll pass it on to you since it can make a HUGE difference in terms of your enjoyment!

You will actually find that the #1 most important 'element' to watch out for is dampness (melting snow...) and not actually the cold! It's superimportant that you have waterproof pants/jacket/and mitts/gloves. You will be falling ALOT on you first time...it's kinda awkward o_O but so much fun! I wear a pair of thermals (actually thin merino wool long underwear) underneath my snowpants. It's pretty good in terms of being breathable yet cushy enough for all those falls.

Waterproofing is most important for your gloves/mitts. When you fall, you'll probably break it with your hands the most, so soggy mitts= cold wet hands. =(

You actually don't need to wear that much under your jacket. I'd advise layers if you're afraid of the cold. Snowboarding actually works up quite a sweat, so you might even be really warm! Some people even get away with one layer underneath a jacket (like a long sleeved shirt), but i usually wear 2 thin ones (like a thin fleece and a undershirt).

A good warm hat that covers the ears is superimportant for those blistering winds. I also wear a neckwarmer. I don't really bother with goggles. Also wear nice thick socks, some boots can give blisters =(.

I hope that helps! You will be extremely sore the next day, so I would advise to stretch your major muscles in your legs and shoulders before hitting the slopes. And don't hop into the hottub with sore muscles! It makes it worse...=P I get lots of tips from my physiotherapist who's basically a snow bunny (we are from Canadaland...haha.)

have fun!!! let me know how you like it.

ps. have you started your new job yet?? you have to tell us all about it when you do!

redambition

you are going to have an awesome time! I've been snowboarding twice and i love it (i am at leafing stage on fairly baby slopes).

one thing that's pretty good to wear under the pants is a pair of thick pantyhose. when i went snowboarding i wore the following:

pantyhose, sports briefs over panty hose (to keep that bottom warm when sitting on the snow), knee high socks.

top was a knitted turtleneck, polar fleece jacket + waterproof jacket on top, scarf, beanie and sunnies. my gloves were ski gloves which were a big mistake - the leather palm panel got soaked and i ended up with cold hands.

the one thing i find invaluable is proper waterproof pants, and a well fitting jacket that will not give you a waist gap (ie - ride up leaving your wait exposed) when you bend over and touch your toes. you will be sitting on the snow a lot, and you will also be bending over a lot (when standing up etc) and you don't want to experience that.... cold and uncomfortable!

have fun and let us know how you go.
smiles.gif

MxAxC-_ATTACK

o man I went snowboarding once, and I couldnt take it .. lol
I was terrible at it!! My butt was sooo sore when I got home (from falling on it all Day)

I wore thermals under my snowpants and was SUPER warm! almost too warm so you should be fine in those. also the thermal longsleeved shirts are awesome,with a shirt over, and your jacket. and your -good to go-

GLOVES are a MUST. if you dont have them YOU NEED GLOVES!!!!! you cant fall down without them.. trust me.. haha.

Have fun! I was just watching the news and they said its gonna be snnooowwwinnnngg tonight on the mountains and I was like
DAMN i wanna go to the snow!
I cant snowboard though.. Not since I broke my ankle..(im too scared!)

Bernadette

So, snowboarding is my new favorite thing in the world!
I had the best time and absolutely loved it. I fell really hard on my ass twice the first day, knocked the wind out of myself the first time (I did have ass pads.) I only fell once the second day. A few times I got going too fast and would slow myself down and sit because I got scared heh
smiles.gif
All in all I was way better at it than I anticipated!
I wish it weren't such an expensive sport. I'm going to start saving my pennies and try to buy all of the gear at the end of this season when it's on sale
clap.gif

Mammoth is absolutely gorgeous. I love the cold and snow and it was just ideal for me.
Thank you all for the advice!

MxAxC-_ATTACK

my boyfriend got an amazing deal at a "play it again sports" store, basically a used equipment store, he got boots bindings and a board for 200 bucks! it was a killer deal for sure, you should see if there are any stores like that in your area.

i cant get going too fast on a snowboard either, i get too scared, i keep thinking of all the pain that would become ,after i eat crap going like a million miles an hour... and snow isnt soft! well at least not on the mountain.

im glad you have fun. snowboarding isnt the easiest thing ever, thats for sure. but it does give you a good rush.. who knew sliding down a mountain with a plank stuck to your feet would be so much fun

redambition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernadette
I had the best time and absolutely loved it. I fell really hard on my ass twice the first day, knocked the wind out of myself the first time (I did have ass pads.) I only fell once the second day. A few times I got going too fast and would slow myself down and sit because I got scared heh
smiles.gif
I wish it weren't such an expensive sport. I'm going to start saving my pennies and try to buy all of the gear at the end of this season when it's on sale
clap.gif

Mammoth is absolutely gorgeous. I love the cold and snow and it was just ideal for me.

yay! I'm glad you had fun
smiles.gif

Katura

Yay!!! I'm so glad you liked it! Mammoth is a great place to go! Just wait, when your bum starts feeling better you'll probably be itchin to get back up on the slopes!!!

Buying gear at the end of the season is a great idea, *i bought all mine in october...tooooooooo much $$) But you'll love it even more when you've got your own gear and dont have to play the rental game! Let us know what you want to get!

~LadyLocks~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernadette
smiles.gif
clap.gif

Aww lucky! I'm glad you had fun though! SNowboarding is soo fun and wow, what a rush! To bad I'm not going to be able to go this year but oh well...there's plenty more years to come! I so remember the first time I went snowboarding. I was sore in places I would never even imagine lol.

medusalox

Oooh, Iwanna go! It looks like so much fun - I just remember, though, that one time I went skiing. It was me, with planks on my feet, rolling down a hill. I imagine snowboarding would be much the same. I'm glad you had a blast, hon!