So, how much do you charge?

erine1881

Re: How much do you charge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ohmygosh
studiofix does have spf!

no it doesn't. studio fix fluid does, but not studio fix.

TIERAsta

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyqt
im really surprised at the price differences.. here in my country makeup artists charge A LOT! for my uncle's wedding the MA had us pay $800 for me, my sis and my mom.. usually for the bride alone it could cost way up to $900 because its considered 'special' makeup (lashes + glitter, etc..)

I wanna work where you live!

Le-Saboteur

Wow, bridal work here is not at all worth it (in comparison to what you all can seem to get away with charging). Where I live in New Zealand you will not find a bride who is willing to pay more than NZ$100 (US$60) for just a make up alone. Most won't go any higher than NZ$80 for the bride, $60 for bridesmaid/mother of the bride or groom. We're expected to be hair dressers as well (most of us can at least do simple hair ups etc) and you will not get more than NZ$120 for make up and hair for the bride.

Standard rates for film or photography is $350 full day (8 hours), $250 half day (four hours). Otherwise it's anywhere from $35-$75 an hour depending on experience with $100 call out fee. In the bigger cities here you can get away with charging a bit more, but not by much.

AdlersMommy22

My friend brooke asked me to do her makeup for her wedding and told me that she would pay me-- It will be my first time doing makeup and im going to set up a consultation for her (hopefully by then i will have a lot of work in my portfolio so she can kinda "chose" a look)... Im not sure what to charge her though- shes my firend and with it being my first time Im thinking maybe $75? I dont think Ill be doing any of the rest of the party but I'm thinking $25 extra for each bridesmaid.. free for the kids, and $40 for the Mother of the Bride.....

I live in a really small town and Im not sure how much money brooke is planning to spend on her wedding-- plus shes my friend.. blah.

blindpassion

^ I do freelancing on friends. I charge them the same as I would anyone else. They call and make an appointment, we consult over the phone, I name the price.
The only exception is if we are planning a day to hang out and we choose together to do makeup as a fun thing, obviously then we are exercising the friend relationship and I don't mind playing with the makeups for free. I would charge her the same as you could any other bride, based on your skills and your expectation to complete what is asked of you. I haven't done weddings but I'm sure its not the easiest thing (you're doing multiple people in most likely a short amount of time), so don't under charge - you will be using a lot of product, keep that in mind. Research other MUA's in your area and see what they are charging as a going rate, that will be a good indicator of how much you should be charging. Also, keep yourself brushed up on the proper ways to sanitize products between clients. Good look!

circusflavouredgum

I'm revisting some of these old threads, and I can't believe how the economy has changed.

When I was at home in Los Angeles in 2003-2005 I charged clients $150-200 each for just makeup for weddings. It was no big deal and on top of that they would usually tip $40-60. Even when I was living in Las Vegas the first time (2005) I would still charge $100 per person.

What a HUGE difference now! This place is dying economy wise. No one even wants to pay $60 for a wedding makeup! To drive to a stranger's hotel room and deal with the horrendous traffic on the Strip, offer free lipstick and lashes...they want it for pennies. I guess because there are a lot of cosmetology students or people fresh out of the academy who will charge peanuts for an amateur job, no one is willing to spend any money anymore. I know people don't have as much money to spend, but you do get what you pay for when it comes to beauty IMO.

Print work is kinda non-existent here. The models are more convention-type models who wear bikinis, it's soo hard to find high fashion types. The "photographers" are ermm usually men who just pick up a camera to take pics of girls nude or in bikinis.

It's gonna be nice to go back home
greengrin.gif

LC

Quote:
Originally Posted by seductressdolce
I'm asking purely for research purposes, but in a freelance area of work, how much would you charge per shoot?

Do you charge per hour, per project, per model, or per day?

How much, if any, do you charge for a Kit Fee?

Do you charge for travel expenses if the shoot is out of your local area, if so, how much?

All responses are appreciated.

Thank you.

Hey. I've been doing makeup professionally for about 5 years now.

for photoshoots I charge $100/hour, 350/half day, or 600/full day
if it's a TF shoot, which is rare, then my kit fee is 35

for weddings I charge 180 for the bride, and 80 per bridesmaids. The bride is higher because hers will come with a trial

I charge 50 cents per mile if the location of the shoot or wedding is greater than 50 miles from where I live

hope this helps
smiles.gif

kkephart87

studio fix fluid does have spf... studio fix powder does not, but it does have titanium dioxide in it which will reflect a camera flash. use mineralize skinfinish natural for an amazing finish

boujoischic

Im in Maryland makeup artist in my area seem so secretive about rates none are posted on their websites so I will have to call around.

missmeghan

Im in Maryland makeup artist in my area seem so secretive about rates none are posted on their websites so I will have to call around.
Probably so that you can't compare rates to be able to charge less than them and "steal" business. That or because they're more flexible with rates and will negotiate.

boujoischic

I am located in Maryland and I finally found some rates of other local artist. It has been suggested to start a little lower in price if you are inexperienced which I am I took this and my kit into consideration in regard to my pricing. My kit is complete and I use quality makeup M.A.C, Urban Decay, Graftobian HD Cream foundation, Ben Nye powders correctors and concealers, I do use drugstore mascara some lipsticks and liners.

I am thinking for event makeup prom/night out etc $50/$55 with lashes
For weddings $150 for the bride that includes a trail , her lip color and blotting paper as a gift
Bridesmaids $60 per person considering possible 10% Off offer for 4 or more (I've seen a disc for 4 or more offered by several artist)

Would my prices be considered gauging?
I've been sharing some of my work that I've done on family and friends and I have gotten inquiries one was for a wedding in November. The bride wanted makeup for herself and 4 bridesmaids I quoted her my price and she acted like it was outrageous. I also had an inquiry for prom who also acted as though my pricing was outrageous. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here if anything? I would really appreciate any tips or suggestions.

missmeghan

That sounds reasonable to me... Some people are just really cheap. Of course it also depends on your area..... But around here that's pretty typical.

boujoischic

Of course it also depends on your area..... But around here that's pretty typical.
Thank you for your response. I settled on my pricing after doing research on several reputable artist in my area. I thought it was reasonable as well I guess I will just stick to my guns and wait for a customer that understands I'm providing a quality service not cut rate. My bride may be relenting she is agreeing to a trail I'm charging for the trail of course that amount will go toward her service if she decides to move forward.