Strange metal pans- could these e/s be fake?

look_divine

nocomment.gif

rockin

Regarding the ridged pans - someone mentioned that there was less glue on these (can't now remember which thread, though, sorry).

I've been studying all my shadows, and it seems that the real MAC glue melts the plastic a little. If I check the plastic pop-out tray in the shadow pot, all my known genuine shadows have lumpy, bubbly bits around the outside of where the sides of the pan are stuck in (visible without actually depotting). This is not evident in the known fake shadows.

Has anyone else noticed this, and has anyone found a genuine shadow that does not have this bubbly/melted plastic? It might be another way of spotting the fakes from the genuine

stingray

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockin
Regarding the ridged pans - someone mentioned that there was less glue on these (can't now remember which thread, though, sorry).

Was that me in this post? http://specktra.net/f257/fake-mac-strawberrynet-93890/#post1070007

Re the bubbles, yes, I noticed it too but didn't know if it meant anything at the time. The few genuine ones I have all have those bubbles in different shapes and sizes around the edge, and none of my fakes with the ridged pans have them. Do they look like in my attachment here?

rockin

Thanks, Stingray - yes, it was your post, which said

Just thought I'd warn you -

The freezing method works a treat with those pans with the ridged circle as the glue is only in the ridge. I just tried it with my genuine shadow to see if perhaps a brand new real MAC shadow had that ridge, and no way could I get the pan out, it seemed stuck solid to the base! I didn't want to dare force it either. I think I'll have to try EnKore's method again with the genuine one.

and yes, those are the 'bubbles' I mean. They must be caused by the glue, and as the fakes don't have glue around the sides they don't have the bubbles

rockin

Well I took the plunge and depotted my Black Tied last night, using the freezing method, and as expected it had the ridged pan.

Curiosity got the better of me this morning regarding the one eyeshadow I have had my doubts about, but not been entirely sure up until now - my Nocturnelle.

It has a box which is shinier than the other fake boxes, but still shows some marks when I rub a nail across it. The pot itself is not one of the shiny fake pots, and has the CH (like the genuine ones) rather than the bump inside the bottom of the pot, however the lower front catch is chamfered like the fakes are. The clear plastic on the lid sits slightly proud of the pot and that can easily be felt with a nail. The upper catch has what appear to be vertical scratch marks on i, and the lettering on the label is more cream than grey.

The plastic tray which the shadow sits in would appear to be genuine, in that it does not have the 'gap' but does have the ridges underneath. However, there is no sign of the 'bubbles' which I have attributed to melting by the glue which holds a genuine pan in the tray.

Something just didn't add up - some real, some fake traits.

So I threw caution to the wind, and using a small nail file, and without freezing or anything, I worked my way (rather easily) between the metal pan and the plastic tray, and gently levered it out - it came out easily. Sure enough, it has the ridged circle on the underside of the metal pan. I am therefore convinced that it is fake, but it doesn't seem to be from the same batch of fakes as the others as there are certain differences.

rockin

Sorry for that large block of text. I did put paragraphs in there, honest, but they're not showing up for some reason
ssad.gif

I clicked on the edit button, but it doesn't seem to be working at the moment.

Xqueeze_me

Quote:
Well I took the plunge and depotted my Black Tied last night, using the freezing method, and as expected it had the ridged pan. Curiosity got the better of me this morning regarding the one eyeshadow I have had my doubts about, but not been entirely sure up until now - my Nocturnelle. It has a box which is shinier than the other fake boxes, but still shows some marks when I rub a nail across it. The pot itself is not one of the shiny fake pots, and has the CH (like the genuine ones) rather than the bump inside the bottom of the pot, however the lower front catch is chamfered like the fakes are. The clear plastic on the lid sits slightly proud of the pot and that can easily be felt with a nail. The upper catch has what appear to be vertical scratch marks on i, and the lettering on the label is more cream than grey. The plastic tray which the shadow sits in would appear to be genuine, in that it does not have the 'gap' but does have the ridges underneath. However, there is no sign of the 'bubbles' which I have attributed to melting by the glue which holds a genuine pan in the tray. Something just didn't add up - some real, some fake traits. So I threw caution to the wind, and using a small nail file, and without freezing or anything, I worked my way (rather easily) between the metal pan and the plastic tray, and gently levered it out - it came out easily. Sure enough, it has the ridged circle on the underside of the metal pan. I am therefore convinced that it is fake, but it doesn't seem to be from the same batch of fakes as the others as there are certain differences.

Well, I almost lost my temper while depotting the fake Spring Up that Julie sent to me for analysis. (THANKS JULIE!!! *BIG HUGS*) I saw the *gulp* kitchen knife work done on the 2 fake eyeshadows...
winks.gif

It wouldn't budge for me so I had to use nail polish remover to actually soften the glue. I didn't want to scar the bottom of the plastic pan but it is scarred due to the nail polish remover soaking the plastic pan while I used a paring knife to scrape off the glue. I took pics and will hopefully be putting the comparisons up soon...

Quote:
Sorry for that large block of text. I did put paragraphs in there, honest, but they're not showing up for some reason
ssad.gif

I clicked on the edit button, but it doesn't seem to be working at the moment.

It happens.
winks.gif

rockin

I was amazed how easily this one depotted - the glue was left in the bottom of the plastic tray instead of staying in the groove on the metal pan. Only minimal damage around the outer edge of the shadow due to the slight pushing in of the side of the pan.

panda0410

Quote:
The plastic tray which the shadow sits in would appear to be genuine, in that it does not have the 'gap' but does have the ridges underneath. However, there is no sign of the 'bubbles' which I have attributed to melting by the glue which holds a genuine pan in the tray.

Something just didn't add up - some real, some fake traits.

So I threw caution to the wind, and using a small nail file, and without freezing or anything, I worked my way (rather easily) between the metal pan and the plastic tray, and gently levered it out - it came out easily. Sure enough, it has the ridged circle on the underside of the metal pan. I am therefore convinced that it is fake, but it doesn't seem to be from the same batch of fakes as the others as there are certain differences.

I depotted 4 shadows tonight which were fake (thank-you Julie for sending them!! xxx) and depotted one of my own authentic shadows. None of them, any of them at all, had the glue bubbles. All of them were perfectly clean. I will say this though, the fake shadows came out of the seats more easily - in fact they almost fell out, whereas the authentic was more difficult. In the process I also learnt this - the fake shadows are much softer than the authentic shadows, 2 of the fakes - Idol Eyes and Folie - crumbled into dust after being depotted - and I didnt damage the pans or seats on either shadow, the manipulation of the pan was enough to cause them to crumble. The authentic shadows are far stronger and dont break as easily. The boxes are excellent quality, not the old scratchy boxes either!

julie150463

((Rockin))
You're about a s lucky as me. I'm still waiting for the official verdict from MAC - watch this space I guess.

Xqueeze-me - got a few more here if you want to try them for size
winks.gif
. I haven't got time for that acetone malarky - have wasted enough time on this trash! Perhaps if they were my own personal eyeshadows - well that would be a different story!

Xqueeze_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie150463
((Rockin))
You're about a s lucky as me. I'm still waiting for the official verdict from MAC - watch this space I guess.

Xqueeze-me - got a few more here if you want to try them for size
winks.gif
. I haven't got time for that acetone malarky - have wasted enough time on this trash! Perhaps if they were my own personal eyeshadows - well that would be a different story!

I wouldn't mind. I can't find any authentic Spring Up e/s and I don't want to try that shithole eBay. Will PM you!

Xqueeze_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda0410
I depotted 4 shadows tonight which were fake (thank-you Julie for sending them!! xxx) and depotted one of my own authentic shadows. None of them, any of them at all, had the glue bubbles. All of them were perfectly clean. I will say this though, the fake shadows came out of the seats more easily - in fact they almost fell out, whereas the authentic was more difficult. In the process I also learnt this - the fake shadows are much softer than the authentic shadows, 2 of the fakes - Idol Eyes and Folie - crumbled into dust after being depotted - and I didnt damage the pans or seats on either shadow, the manipulation of the pan was enough to cause them to crumble. The authentic shadows are far stronger and dont break as easily. The boxes are excellent quality, not the old scratchy boxes either!

The fake eyeshadow pans are flimsy in my point of view, that's why the eyeshadows crumble/break easily when you manipulate the pan. The authentic eyeshadow pans are sturdier and slightly thicker that's why the eyeshadows don't break that easily. The fake boxes are kind of glossy unlike the authentic boxes where its slighty matte and non-shiny/glossy but smooth to the touch.

panda0410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xqueeze_me
The fake boxes are kind of glossy unlike the authentic boxes where its slighty matte and non-shiny/glossy but smooth to the touch.

the new fake pigment and glitter boxes are just like this as well!! your e/s boxes you got today from julie - well the piggie/glitter fakies are the same quality!!

Xqueeze_me

Quote:
the new fake pigment and glitter boxes are just like this as well!! your e/s boxes you got today from julie - well the piggie/glitter fakies are the same quality!!

Ah yea! The new fake glitters and eyeshadows are in those kinda glossy-like texture. Not the Deep Purple though. Weird.

panda0410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xqueeze_me
Ah yea! The new fake glitters and eyeshadows are in those kinda glossy-like texture. Not the Deep Purple though. Weird.

maybe 2 different batches/fakers?? the white pigment has one of those glossy boxes...

Xqueeze_me

Quote:
maybe 2 different batches/fakers?? the white pigment has one of those glossy boxes...

Possible. :/ Sad.
angry.gif

stingray

I kept all the fakes and boxes so that I can keep comparing. I've tested all the transparent parts of all my shadows, both real and fake, but I can't say that the clear plastic on the lid sits slightly proud of the pot of all the fakes, and I can feel the edge slightly on some of the real ones.

I think maybe we need to collate all the possible traits of these fakes, as it's getting a bit confusing going backwards and forwards in this thread as well as the StrawberryNet one to find them all. The traits so far, taken from both topics, seem to be:

- A round ridge on the bottom of the pan when depotted, on all of them.
- Box leaves scratchmarks when scratched even if only faintly, on all of them
- The round sticker on the lid of the box is blacker and shiny, on all of them.
- The clasp has a champher (not that I can see it on mine).
- There's much less glue when depotting which seems to only be inside the ridge and it's much less sticky glue so the pan comes away much easier. On all of them or not?
- Some but not all have shinier pots.
- Some but not all have shinier boxes.
- Some but not all have a bump in the bottom of the pot instead of a CH.
- Some but not all have lids that flop downwards.
- Some but not all don't have the ridges on the underneath rear of the pan holder. Photos in this post - http://specktra.net/f257/fake-mac-st...0/#post1068758
- The shadows are softer and more prone to crumbling as the pan itself might be thinner (I didn't experience this).
- The boxes might not be quite as well put together as the real ones.
- The fonts on the stickers may or may not vary in colour.

If I've forgotten anything, please quote the list and add to it
smiles.gif

In examining the boxes some more, I've discovered something else which applies to all of my fakes. The lip of the bit that tucks into the top and bottom of box is less deep than on the real boxes. The real ones are about 1cm deep, the fakes ones are about .8cm deep.

rockin

- A round ridge on the bottom of the pan when depotted, on all of them.
- Box leaves scratchmarks when scratched even if only faintly, on all of them
- The round sticker on the lid of the box is blacker and shiny, on all of them.
- The clasp has a champher (not that I can see it on mine).
- There's much less glue when depotting which seems to only be inside the ridge and it's much less sticky glue so the pan comes away much easier. On all of them or not?
- Some but not all have shinier pots.
- Some but not all have shinier boxes.
- Some but not all have a bump in the bottom of the pot instead of a CH.
- Some but not all have lids that flop downwards.
- Some but not all don't have the ridges on the underneath rear of the pan holder.
- The shadows are softer and more prone to crumbling as the pan itself might be thinner (I didn't experience this).
- The boxes might not be quite as well put together as the real ones.
- The fonts on the stickers may or may not vary in colour.
- As there is no glue around the outside of the metal pans, none of the fakes have the bubbles around the plastic tray

stingray

I know what the batch numbers stand for, but is there any relevance to the batch numbers printed on these fake shadows?

rockin

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray
I know what the batch numbers stand for, but is there any relevance to the batch numbers printed on these fake shadows?

No idea, but with all 4 of my fakes the batch number printed on the barcode sticker matches the batch number printed on the pot label.

In case it helps someone with a comparison, my fake eyeshadows have the following batch numbers:

Black Tied - A94
Humid - A36
Nocturnelle - B56
Brun - A86